What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing autos in rock wool vs good soil?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I have some more autos seeds I'm wanting to start very soon. Have any of you ever grown autos in rock wool by its self. Or should i stick to good soil in a 5 gallon smartpot?
Each time with these auto seeds i have been increasing my yield by a little bit but this time I need to increase my yield by like a boat load. It will be growing under a 230watt cob led lamp. Not like last time grown under a 1 100 watt led skrew in bulb. I yielded about an ounce of great bud.

Your opinions, recomendations welcom.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
not in rockwool, i made only in hydrotons. there are some differences in growing habits. some will grow just like normal sized, but others will grow 3-5x times bigger than in soil... - if every other factor is optimal too ofc

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We prefer soil, organic soil. Back in the day, I did rock wool/lava chunks with photos. Don't like the chemical taste of additives. Haven't grown autos that way, although now there are organic supplement choices.

Genetics and growing factors are all considered. Ample light (we use 600-1000w LED's), LST. If you have a good soil base, you don't need additives much.

Try it and see.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
Anyway what recommendations would help you..?

I used ghe floranova,mineral magic, diamond nectar, boomboom spray, bioroots stimulator, budcandy, superthrive, ripen, and florakleen.

No chemical taste at all, after one week drying bud burnt very light color ash.
Strains like automazar x autogorilla, gorillacookies, flash, gnomo, autoak ..etc

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I think I'm just gonna stick with my 5 gallon smart pot of ff ocean forest soil. Starting one of the seeds today.

CimbaKat

I dont recommend anyone use rockwool.. if you need a mask, gloves and goggles to protect you from your grow medium, i say pass. What does smoking something grown In that shit do...? Its like people using vermiculite.. anyway, You can soak for 36 hours in darkness and then directly sowe in your soil, just takes more nurtu8and has more room for failure or sowe in a rapid rooter till its a stable seedling put under a dome under lights or in a window silln then transplant before root bound to reduce stress. Wont hurt to uses some mykos/azos if you take that route. Or sowe into a cup, once large enough chop the bottom of the cup off and "transplant" the cup into your pot, this method involves no stress from transplant because you transplant before it can get root bound. I recommend make a super soil this summer. Big ol batch that will fill all your pota and then slowly hone in your soil food web, can use the same soil till you die.. could heirloom your soil to family or friends lol. Hope this helps.

Careful with FFOF.. we used it as one of the main components of our soil and it's not as good as it once was.. they dont have good quality control any more. I recommend research a few Supersoil recipes and make your own blend. Buildasoil is a great amendment supplier. Awesome prices and quality products. Made a "veganic" super soil with their ingredients plus our compost.

Last edited by a moderator: