What's new

Grow #2 : What I've learned

StonedPone

This is my second indoor grow and as a novice, I thought I'd share what I have learned in this grow. Feel free to comment but be gentle, this old man cries easy! 😉
So the first thing I learned or shall I say, confirmed , is I know nothing! Well maybe I know a couple things but it's definitely limited!
I learned that you can have to much or to intense of light. The tips of leaves were curling up and they looked fried. I originally thought it was nutrient burn only to have the issue continue after nutrients were addressed. Lots of reading convinced me it was lights being to close and intense, I had the light at 100%!
But it could be tds/ec from what I have been reading today! See, I know little!
Nutrient burn, terrible thing! I learned the hard way, DON'T follow the feeding schedule supplied by FoxFarm and probably most other companies. It's way to much!
Co2 is our friend!
UVB light is great but do research before implementing this!
I am currently growing 3 girls from the Ethos Early Girl pack, they are winding down and getting close to harvest.
Mandarin cookies will probably be ready first, she's also the one that seems most sensitive to everything.
Pink Runtz will probably go second with Kush Cake being harvested last. At least that's the way they currently look.
I'll add some current pics later because I don't have any at the moment .

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sounds like you are learning a lot from just 2 grows. Thanks for sharing friend. You bring up a good point about FoxFarm nutrients. A lot of people may get a little confused with the amount used.

If you noticed on the fox farms feeding chart you will see weekly amounts. Those weekly applications are for the whole week and not a single dose.

If I use 6 gallons of water for 2 plants a week, I simply take the single fertilizer measurement per gallon and add it to the weekly water. ONE gallon mixed with a weekly watering amount instead of giving a plant a large single dose.

Feeding the plants constant low ppm instead of feeding high for one time and then waiting til the next week to feed again. If you feed high one time you can burn the plants.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Sounds like you are on the right track:good:. Keep us updated so we can make the wisdom of the crowd bigger.:smoke out:

I'm not sure if i give uv another chance. I didn't like what it changed in the terps. I'm sure i used too much and starting mid flower was also not ideal.

StonedPone

"If you noticed on the fox farms feeding chart you will see weekly amounts. Those weekly applications are for the whole week and not a single dose."

That makes sense, as I halfed the dosage of the nutes and things started falling in place .

"I'm not sure if i give uv another chance. I didn't like what it changed in the terps. I'm sure i used too much and starting mid flower was also not ideal."

chilliwilli, what did the uv light do to the terps?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This is my second indoor grow and as a novice, I thought I'd share what I have learned in this grow. Feel free to comment but be gentle, this old man cries easy! 😉
So the first thing I learned or shall I say, confirmed , is I know nothing! Well maybe I know a couple things but it's definitely limited!
I learned that you can have to much or to intense of light. The tips of leaves were curling up and they looked fried. I originally thought it was nutrient burn only to have the issue continue after nutrients were addressed. Lots of reading convinced me it was lights being to close and intense, I had the light at 100%!
But it could be tds/ec from what I have been reading today! See, I know little!
Nutrient burn, terrible thing! I learned the hard way, DON'T follow the feeding schedule supplied by FoxFarm and probably most other companies. It's way to much!
Co2 is our friend!
UVB light is great but do research before implementing this!
I am currently growing 3 girls from the Ethos Early Girl pack, they are winding down and getting close to harvest.
Mandarin cookies will probably be ready first, she's also the one that seems most sensitive to everything.
Pink Runtz will probably go second with Kush Cake being harvested last. At least that's the way they currently look.
I'll add some current pics later because I don't have any at the moment .
I learned that you can have to much or to intense of light.

Get a PAR meter like the Photobio. I am a new grower also and learned to increase the light power as the roots develop. I start sprouts under a T5, move to 1 gallon pots under LED at about 180 umoles and increase as the plant grows roots. By the time the plants get up-potted into the final bags of soil, the lights are maybe 300 umoles. I increase until te lights get maxed out at 700 umoles, about 500 watts in a 4 x 4 tent. Any more power and the temps get too high.

If you are using Faux Farms soil, try adding microbes, humic acid, fulvic acid, and use organic feed lie fish juice, alfalfa tea, and good old bone and blood meal. I made my soil, recycle it, and add amendments after each run. I have the soil pH up near 8.0, and use water that is pH to 6.4 to make the ions and microbes happy.

Co2 is our friend!

If you hang out in your lung room you are making CO2. My dawg hangs out in there with me. Ambient over 600 ppm.

If you are in a tent, the biggest thing is exiting the air OUTSIDE the house and using a fan and filter to blow in clean air. Balance the entrance and exit fan speeds to achieve the right flow and pressure. Those fan speed automatic controllers are just trouble.