What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greetings, New to ICMAG and Checking Ya'all Out

Moe.Red

Hmmm, so this is what people in here think is ok?!? I think not. These plants look like being heavily overfertilized up to the point of every leaf displaying burned tips and leaf margins. It's even evident in the lower leaves, it's not "a fade" judging by the still dark green which means high chloroplast / chlorophyll content.

Anyway, welcome to the board, hope you don't take my criticism personally, just here to offer help and an honest feedback.
I hear you, but this actually is a fade. You would have needed to see the progression. SLG ran very low ppm for 2 weeks at the end and these colors were the result.

SweetLeafGrow

Anyway, welcome to the board, hope you don't take my criticism personally, just here to offer help and an honest feedback.
Not taken personally at all bro. I know what you are saying and I did have some issues with the grow. It was only my 2nd RDWC grow and so I still have a great deal to learn! It was not perfect, but perfect for me in my progression of learning. Thanks for chiming in and hope to learn from you and other helpful folks!

SweetLeafGrow

Benvenuto amico,felice che ti sei aggiunto a noi,spero questa medicina faccia molto per te.
La foto del ciclo precendente che hai postato mostra una bella pianta,eri già sulla strada giusta,secondo me avresti dovuto ottenere più rami (magari con più piante?),guidarli senza una rete e farli crescere un po' di più,così da sfruttare meglio la penetrazione della lampada,vedrai che aumenti la resa.
Grazie amico. So che la pianta era piuttosto compatta e la luce non è arrivata molto in profondità nella chioma. Questa varietà aveva distanze internodali estremamente brevi ed è stato difficile farla allargare come descrivi. Inoltre, non sono un coltivatore così esperto e sto ancora imparando la natura rapida della coltivazione in idropinica.

SweetLeafGrow

I figured I would update this grow on my intro since I did post pics, rather than making a whole new thread.

I'm right at about 8 weeks since flip to 12/12 and I'm not super happy with this grow but I do think I will get a decent harvest. I still don't know 100% what happened but I do think I over fed this gal early thinking she was hungry when she really was not. I don't think I ever overcame that N excess and then somewhere along the way got a calcium def, at least from what I can tell and from my notes, I did not add as much calmag as I normally do for some reason.

Anyhow, breeder says 7-10 weeks flower, I am about 6 since onset, maybe a few days the other side of 6 weeks. Going to try again for measurable CBN on this harvest. I tried last time and thought for sure I hit it but when test results came back, ND. So I am thinking at least 3 more weeks but will be starting to keep a closer eye on ripeness factors.

Some pistils are turning but many new pistils emerging. She is drinking 1.5 gal a day and eating. I'm not sure if I am going to feed anymore the rest of the way out but I am leaning toward no more feedings, she is riding at about 600 atm and dropping a bit daily as I top off. Not going to change out the res again unless someone has a case for fixing the issues they see in these photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    612.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    687.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    749.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    766.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    916.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    782.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    672.6 KB · Views: 36

SweetLeafGrow

Yes, I believe early on, I'm not sure if it ever corrected. There is still a lot of dark green foliage, lots of downward cupping and leaf claw. My diagnosis is from an untrained eye and could be wrong but I do think I had an N excess and then a cal def. I think the cal def was fixed, but again I'm not 100% on any of it.

I changed out the res a while back and reset everything, I just didn't know what to do at the time and fell back on what I have learned from you Moe. Not sure if it fixed anything and I am wondering if she has been stunted from whatever happened, flowers are not as big as I would like to see BUT there is still at least 3 weeks left and I always think this about this time, lol. They might stack on good and that is what I am hoping for.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Great job on the DWC.

Nice to see people using other systems than soil.
I love DWC plants if you live in cool temperatures. Living with 104f or 40c evening temps makes it hard to keep the plants cool enough. The southern US can be hotter than you can imagine. That's why a lot of people use peat and coco coir instead of DWC. DWC is the best in my opinion.

SweetLeafGrow

About to finish up this grow, may end up harvesting on Saturday but time will tell. Some amber showing up in the trichs, still drinking and throwing a few new pistils. Nice fade starting to take place also. Beautiful strain grown, not without problems, but I learned a lot and should have a decent harvest.
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG

SweetLeafGrow

Wow, look at the trichs on those, we'll done! That a spider farmer led light? If so how do you like? I couldn't make my mind up between the spder farmer and viperspectra, ended up going with the viperspectra.
Thanks Fam! Yea, its a Spider Farmer SE3000 and I do like it.

Hillbilly69

Thanks Fam! Yea, its a Spider Farmer SE3000 and I do like it.
Nice, seems to have done great in growing your ladies. I just got my viparspectra KS3000 so haven't put it to the test yet. Seems to fill the 3x3 tent really well. Gotta get things going, time will tell!

Attachments

• 20230316_200103.jpg
    20230316_200103.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 36

SweetLeafGrow

Looking good there brother.

Hope to follow along with your grow.

How long have you been growing? Going in soil, coco, hydro?

Depending on the strain you grow, you may need to rig up some different light hangers. If your plants go tall, you will need to raise that light higher and you are losing a lot with those hanging cables the way they are.

Hillbilly69

Looking good there brother.

Hope to follow along with your grow.

How long have you been growing? Going in soil, coco, hydro?

Depending on the strain you grow, you may need to rig up some different light hangers. If your plants go tall, you will need to raise that light higher and you are losing a lot with those hanging cables the way they are.
I've got a few decades of growing under my belt, ;-) mostly outdoor organics but did a few runs of indoor too. The tent is mostly to start my outdoor babies (and veggies for garden) but might try a run of ondoor auto's next winter. Depends how well the carbon filter does haha!
Good point on the cables, right now I can probably get away with up to 3 footers, but if I need more head space I'll certainly shorten those cables.

SweetLeafGrow

I've got a few decades of growing under my belt, ;-) mostly outdoor organics but did a few runs of indoor too. The tent is mostly to start my outdoor babies (and veggies for garden) but might try a run of ondoor auto's next winter. Depends how well the carbon filter does haha!
Good point on the cables, right now I can probably get away with up to 3 footers, but if I need more head space I'll certainly shorten those cables.
I'm straight up indoor now in RDWC. I've been at it for almost 2 years, started in soil and did just OK. Had a hard time stringing two good grows back to back and simply could not keep up with my needs.

I tried a greenhouse grow last summer. Did fairly well with it but live in a northern climate and they did not have enough time to finish, even though one of them went til the 7th of November! I had decent yields but was not as potent as could have been if I were able to let them ripen enough. It was also a 6+ month long season and just not as practical as getting a harvest every 4 months with an indoor plant.

My carbon filters do a great job but if odor is a problem, they are not the be all end all. You still have to open that tent, harvest, etc and the aroma is hard to avoid as I am sure you are well aware!

Hillbilly69

Good stuff, strain selection is by far the most important aspect for us northern growers! That's why I only work with strains that finish from end of august to 3rd week of september. This year I'm trying some Real Gorilla Seeds outdoor gear. They have some old school canadian bred strains that I played with 15 years ago. Given them another go to see how they have faired with many years of breeding. I just received this week some Freezland, Mighty Freeze, Mighty Gold, Mighty Amstel Freeze, and some GG #2 and #3 regulars to see if I can find a beaty male to make crosses... :)

SweetLeafGrow

That's why I only work with strains that finish from end of august to 3rd week of september.
I've learned to ignore these estimations from breeders etc. It's going to finish, as you say, per strain but it's more dependent on where you live and when the sunlight hits about 12/12, then when flowers show, you can count the weeks, but still may be different.

One strain I grew in the greenhouse was Wedding Cake and was touted by Barney's Farm as finishing "early" as in late September. This plant didn't show flowers until almost the end of August and went all the way to Halloween before I chopped and still could have gone a week longer by the trichomes, tested at 19% thc, not bad but I think it could have been better.

I've just learned that it's possible to do it here, necessary in a greenhouse, but not that practical and for my needs I'm indoors.

Best of luck in the upcoming season bro, sounds like some fun you got laid out for yourself!

laszlokovacs

Thank you for your kind message! Yes, I have read about the Turkey Tail shrooms but is not one of the supplements I have been taking.
Yea I mean theres endless volumes of information of all types online, plenty of worthless stuff too. I don't think anyone has all the answers but people have learned a lot from mushrooms...
Theres other good mushrooms too, even the odd oncologist that will help you with a regimen.

I can't make any guarantees but I pretty much always find some during mushroom season. If youre interested i'll send you some. Fresh is best, a lot of supplements are bunk and many mushroom supplements consider mycelium as equivalent to the fruits. A turkey tail mushroom tincture is best i think, and can easily be homemade
I've learned to ignore these estimations from breeders etc. It's going to finish, as you say, per strain but it's more dependent on where you live and when the sunlight hits about 12/12, then when flowers show, you can count the weeks, but still may be different.

One strain I grew in the greenhouse was Wedding Cake and was touted by Barney's Farm as finishing "early" as in late September. This plant didn't show flowers until almost the end of August and went all the way to Halloween before I chopped and still could have gone a week longer by the trichomes, tested at 19% thc, not bad but I think it could have been better.

I've just learned that it's possible to do it here, necessary in a greenhouse, but not that practical and for my needs I'm indoors.

Best of luck in the upcoming season bro, sounds like some fun you got laid out for yourself!
i'm pretty sure barney's farm doesnt produce seed in house and have some funky lineages sometimes. Oddities with their seeds are pretty common i believe.

Flowering time outdoors responds to climate for sure. I think enough Nitrogen can also push off onset of flowering if hit outdoors at the right time.

Latest posts

Latest posts