What's new

Greenhouse Lighting

petert

Looking for recommendation for supplimental lighting in my greenhouse. It's a 30X48 semi-gable and I'm only looking to light a small area from March-Planting time in May. I usually haver my clones and seedlings on a couple 4x8 tables.

I get pretty decent sun starting in March..So I don't think I need a strong metal Halide or LED (Which I have for my indoor grow) although I do have plenty of power to run whatever I want.

What are your thoughts on the T5 fluorescents?

hopesluck

t5 works great, i work at a flower shop with 13 greenhouses including 3 high tunnels. we usually use t5 because of the high output of lumens with a great spread. we use several led lights but they cant keep up. i told my boss i could build him one that could cover 1/4 of the greenhouse and save us money but they told me i was too stoned. lol anyways i would go with the t5 since you're not growing in mass across multiple greenhouses.

petert

t5 works great, i work at a flower shop with 13 greenhouses including 3 high tunnels. we usually use t5 because of the high output of lumens with a great spread. we use several led lights but they cant keep up. i told my boss i could build him one that could cover 1/4 of the greenhouse and save us money but they told me i was too stoned. lol anyways i would go with the t5 since you're not growing in mass across multiple greenhouses.

Great…Thanks for the input.

Any thoughts on what type? I was thinking of going with two 4' long 4 tube fixture you can get from Homedepot.

I do have a couple 2 tube 4' shop light fixtures…will that work if I get the T5 tubes??

hopesluck

Great…Thanks for the input.

Any thoughts on what type? I was thinking of going with two 4' long 4 tube fixture you can get from Homedepot.

I do have a couple 2 tube 4' shop light fixtures…will that work if I get the T5 tubes??

well the shop lights wont work since t5 bulbs only work with t5 ballists. the shop lights usually run t8-t12 bulbs. if your table is 4x8 then i would go with this http://www.homedepot.com/p/ViaVolt-...-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Fixture-V44/203012866

if you keep this light about 2' above the plants it should easily cover the table. we use 8ft t8 lights on 8x16 tables and it covers our seedlings at 4ft above them. but since you're using t5 which is a stronger light you shouldnt have really any stretch.

petert

well the shop lights wont work since t5 bulbs only work with t5 ballists. the shop lights usually run t8-t12 bulbs. if your table is 4x8 then i would go with this http://www.homedepot.com/p/ViaVolt-...-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Fixture-V44/203012866

if you keep this light about 2' above the plants it should easily cover the table. we use 8ft t8 lights on 8x16 tables and it covers our seedlings at 4ft above them. but since you're using t5 which is a stronger light you shouldnt have really any stretch.

Perfect..That's exactly what I was looking at..You think it's worth it…or needed to go with the 4' fixture with 8 lights?

And if I go with a quick auto-flower grow before spring…can I go with the full spectrum bulbs all the way through? Or switch out bulbs to the warmer red spectrum bulbs?

hopesluck

if you're going to do autoflower then id go with full spectrum since they're trying to grow and flower at the same time their whole life cycle and if you're doing autos you should go with 8 lights just to boost the nug developement and so they dont fight each other for light.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you're going to do autoflower then id go with full spectrum since they're trying to grow and flower at the same time their whole life cycle and if you're doing autos you should go with 8 lights just to boost the nug developement and so they dont fight each other for light.

True. Autos like full spectrum fluorescents! Good luck. petert!

Charles-scott

Veteran
For greenhouse lighting augmentation something I love and use just use 600 w hps T-5 and compact floro can keep plants from flowering but if you want to promote growth and use it as a heating source use 600 w HPS , if you send me a PM I will give you a email where you can get a actually complete 600 W HPS digital Ballast Bulb greenhouse fixture in a kit for $110 -$120 US
We are experimenting with LED for augmentation but thus far 600 w HPS is the standard for greenhouse production .
Charles

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have used everything but a candle or a firefly....yeehaw...if plants are small t5 is ok with 5000 lumens if ya keep em real close..don't believe the advertising having 4 t5 don't give you 20,000 lumens it gives you 5k still over a bigger area..you cant stack lumens as any light meter would tell ya ...you will get better growth with hid and 600s are my favorite...yeehaw....t5 setups that are lightweight ,with good reflectors and can be daisy chained can be bought cheap on ebay with bulbs included...cant remember what vendor but that's where I get mine ..fast shippin too fuck homedepot EDIT,,, MEMBER NAME IS SPEEDYLIQUIDATION..get u sum..i will be buying 4 again soon myself...best prices when you figure shippin is free

petert

For greenhouse lighting augmentation something I love and use just use 600 w hps T-5 and compact floro can keep plants from flowering but if you want to promote growth and use it as a heating source use 600 w HPS , if you send me a PM I will give you a email where you can get a actually complete 600 W HPS digital Ballast Bulb greenhouse fixture in a kit for $110 -$120 US
We are experimenting with LED for augmentation but thus far 600 w HPS is the standard for greenhouse production .
Charles

Hey Charles-Scott…I don't think I have enough posts to be allowed to PM you…I'd be interested in the 600 W set up you talked about in your post!

Thanks,
Petert