What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Great Inline Fans

I have seen alot of questions/comments on fans lately and have found a fan that I have been really impressed with that is cheap and stealth. I can only compare it to the Vortex and Panasonic Whisper lines...

Soler & Palau Inline Fans

I can't say enough about the fans. Once again if someone has not read my previous thread with my cab build, these are less money, more compact, and quieter than the Panasonic Whisper Line. I ordered the Panasonic Whisper for the build originally before i read about these on another forum and in HT. I like the Panasonics as i use one in my server cabinet. But once I had both side by side the S&P models i ordered were clearly better in every way so i am returning the Panasonic Whispers even though I will looses a 20% restocking fee.

The Fans are S&P(soler & Palau), they can be found here:
http://www.hvacquick.com/spfnconfig.php?fm=td

This is a detailed PDF on their CFM and their ratings at different static pressures. They also go over mounting in the PDF and exact measurements, but mine dont vibrate one bit. I have them just placed in the cab on a piece of packing foam. The foam is unnecessary though, im just using it because i have it. You will notice in the PDF they dont report sones or decibles. Usually this concerns me that the manufacturer is attempting to hide something. I assure you they are not hiding anything in this case.

Detailed PDF:
PDF-link

--
I ordered them from hvacquick.com but found them real cheap here in the last week at a blowout sale:

Cheap Fans-link

SOLAR & PALAU TD - MIXVENT BLOW FANS TD 200X - POLYPROPOLENE HO (model i use which pushes 478 cfm and is rated really good as far as static pressure is concerened.)
for $130

SOLAR & PALAU TD - MIXVENT BLOW FANS TD 250 STL HSING W/EPOXY CTING 765 CFM 255 WATTS 10" 19.8 LBS. for $175
--

I am also using the Fantec Speedster Speed Controls. Best thing about these is no rewiring involved. Just Plug the fan into the speed controller as it has a grounded outlet on it and its own powercord.

I can not vouch for the td-250 and above but will vouch for the TD-200x and smaller models with the exception of the TD-200 (without the X). I say this because the TD-200 and above have a steel housing and blades where the models I use are POLYPROPOLENE (like ABS Plastic). That is why i went with the 200x over the 200. It is only a few dollars more. You can also trim off the box on the side that houses the wiring to make them smaller, i did not need to do this. Also note they have two sppeds bult in depending how you wire them. I wired one of my 200x on the low speed so i don't ever go above the recommended max on my carbon filter as this would not allow enough contact time of the air and carbon for the filter to absorb the smell correctly.

--

Check out link in my sig if you care to see how mine are set-up.

869adc5f.jpg

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
How come every time I try looking at page four of your cab thread I can't?
I get:

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /data/web/icmag/icmag.com/www/ic/includes/init.php
Line: 27

Interested in these fans. Sick of the jet engine vortexs I have...

I don't know man, but its bothering me. I want to finish the thread. I got some more pics just waiting for the Admins to delete my page 4 for me so that I can add. I already posted a request in the support forum, so im hoping for resolution soon.

Sorry, thanks

eyes

Veteran
hey rizzo,thanks for the heads up on that link when i asked what kinda fans they were

eyes

Veteran
those sunleave fans look perfect for a cabinet.note the low cfm.remind me of an axial fan just mounted in a dampered housing for noise.

Cannabean

Hey FullMetalJacket, nice find! I'm in the market to upgrade my fan and was set to get the 6" 240cfm fan until i saw this.

You mentioned that the S&P fans outperform in every way. I compared the CFMs of the both 6" fans and it looks like their CFM vs static pressures are similar when the S&P is on the 'high setting'
were the whisperline and S&P models you compared the same duct size and similar CFMs? is the whisperline still louder than the S&P on 'high setting'?

noise vs airflow is a big issue for me. thanks for the help.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I don't know how widespread this is but, I notice in the Whisper Line thread that people are starting to report dissatisfaction. The fans are quiet when new but after several months of 24/7 operation are becoming too loud.

darthvapor

I just got a vortex 8 for $200 and its got a 10 year warranty and comes prewired with a cord. I think that a great deal.

S

stoned teacher

Happy with my canmax 8"...supposedly good when you have to pull through the resistance of a carbon filter, and very quiet...

Bumble Buddy

S&P mixvent static pressure chart:

Fantech inline centrifugal static pressure chart:

Note that for similar wattage the inline centrifugals will pull significantly more cfms at the higher static pressures than a mixvent. I suspect that the mixvents may be better for low static pressure applications (like short duct run hood cooling, etc..) while the inline centrifugal would be better for most other grow related uses.

Wish I had some of those mixvent fans to test out though... It'd be neat to try putting one in my swamp cooler and another for hood cooling... Anyone out there use a mixvent fan for pulling through a carbon filter? It'd be interesting to hear some testimonials.

jawnroot

Elicent fans are hard to beat. Anything other than a true, "turbine" style in-line (Elicent, Vortex, Fantech, etc etc) is not going to deliver the same performance. I've used just about every make/model/style/type of fan out there, and come back to Elicent every time.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I don't know that this is a performance thread as much as a quietness thread. I have an Elicent, too. Yes it moves high volumes of air but it destroyed all sense of stealth and, after quadruple silencing, essentially turned the garage into a gigantic neon sign screaming "Weed Grown Here." I went back to an axial.

I was strongly considering the Whisperline until the last few posts in it's thread. This isn't the first thread I've seen praising the S&P. I've yet to see a negative review on them. I'll be interested to see how long that lasts.

petemoss

The Whisperline fan looks like a plastic squirrel cage fan, if I'm not mistaken. I never considered buying one because of my experience with a Dayton 265 squirrel cage fan. After a few months, it became very noisy. Someone told me that was because the bearings wear out.

For an all-around centrifugal fan, nothing beats an Elicent with a proper speed control (one that doesn't hum). I can slow my 309 cfm Elicent down to a soft hiss, nearly silent inside a cabinet. The Elicent is sealed and permanently lubricated. Truly the Cadillac of centrifugal fans..that's an old saying. maybe I should say the Lexus of fans lol.

For a small cab or tent, my vote goes to the S&P. I'd get one rated for slightly more cfm than the carbon filter and use it without speed control. I have the smallest S&P (about 90 cfm) and paid only $70 from a San Fran distributor. Compact and quiet. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

Bumble Buddy

petemoss said:
The Whisperline fan looks like a plastic squirrel cage fan, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, I've got the small inline Panasonic and it is a rectangular box on the outside, inlet on one side and outlet on the opposite side, inside it is a squirrel cage scirocco type fan.

petemoss said:
I can slow my 309 cfm Elicent down to a soft hiss, nearly silent inside a cabinet
Hey petemoss, did you ever try using the S&P to pull through a carbon filter, (if so) how'd that work out? How does the noise of the S&P compare to a small inline centrifugal?

FreezerBoy said:
I have an Elicent, too. Yes it moves high volumes of air but it destroyed all sense of stealth and, after quadruple silencing, essentially turned the garage into a gigantic neon sign screaming "Weed Grown Here." I went back to an axial.
Hey FreezerBoy, I'm wondering if you ever tried using a speed control with your Elicent? just curious...

I've been thinking for a while now that someone should manufacture a line of smaller/quieter inline centrifugal fans, that'd be sweet for micro grows and personal size air filters. I scoured the web a few years ago for a small inline centrifugal fan but couldn't find any; had the idea of making computers with sealed cases, except one intake and outlet, and no other fans, just heat sinks; the computer would be fitted with filters and double as a room air cleaner.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Bumble Buddy said:
ever tried using a speed control with your Elicent?
That with insulated ducting, fan isolation box and muffler ... don't get me started ...

My axial's been running nearly non-stop for 15 years. Time to be thinking of a new fan and I thought the Whisperline might be it ... :badday:

petemoss

"Hey petemoss, did you ever try using the S&P to pull through a carbon filter, (if so) how'd that work out? How does the noise of the S&P compare to a small inline centrifugal?"

Bumble Buddy, I hooked it up both ways: filter-fan-cooltube-exhaust and filter-cooltube-fan-exhaust. I prefer to Pull through the filter and cooltube because that's the most efficient way. But pushing through the cooltube also works and will not draw hot air over the fan motor. The S&P has plastic blades as well as a plastic shell and hot air may warp the blades. To protect the fan, it has a thermal shutoff that will turn off the fan if the air is over 104 dg F. That's not much warmer than body temp and may cause your fan to shut down and cook your plants. So pushing through the cooltube or hood is safer IMO. The Elicent has metal parts and can handle much higher temps.

Noisewise, the S&P is about as silent as can be except for the sound of air exiting. You can't avoid that, but you can lessen the sound with insulated ducting, a duct muffler, or pushing through a filter outside the cab. My small S&P is only 90 cfm and the whoosh of the air is not a problem.

Last edited:

Cannabean

good info fellas. I do have a very short track of ducting without much resistance so these fans should work alright.
Freezerboy, interesting on the noise level for long time use. I saw the whisperline + carbonfilter thread and that whisperline fan does look like a squirrel while the whisperline available to buy now looks...different.
Do you know which version they were having noise problems with?

http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/12007DCP_1418.JPG
vs
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/Panasonic-FV-10NLF1-rw-8126-13704.jpg

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Cannabean said:
Do you know which version they were having noise problems with?
You've caught me with my pants halfway down. I knew they had different models but thought they were simply different sizes of the same design. The Whisper thread was page after page of glowing reports and suddenly, bang, bang, bang. Now, Mr. Jacket, has arguably paid to get rid of them.

I was probably prejudiced against S&P the first time I heard of them because they looked so similar to the bilge pump fans. This is at least the third positive thread I've seen on the S&P.

Latest posts

Latest posts