What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grand Doggy Purps - The Shakedown Run

gtgio

Aero, Thanks for taking us along with you, you're an amazing grower and the results speak for themselves. This strain looks awesome, CSG are killin it.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
-Wizoo
I have a lengthy post about nutes rolling around in my head. There is so much snake oil, bullshit and outright misinformation out there when it comes to nutes, especially with the aeroflo. I promise to reveal all soon.

-R Fortune
Thanx for the kind words. I'll do my best to answer your questions:

Spacing

I checkerboard sites for several reasons:

In the cloner and using my methods, there is not enough room to get high quality clones to go up to 45 days if every site is full. If you are flowering 2" clones, its possible to put 2 clippings per site - just watch out for root entanglement.

In bloom once again its about space, light and quality. In the AeroFlo its possible to fill every site, however the resultant jungle becomes very difficult to manage and the quality of finished product suffers. In a scrog you are flattening out the plant to max out light, while with my method you are exploding the plant into plantlets - only producing the highest quality tops. It's really about how you will most efficiently use light.

Plant numbers. By topping and checkerboarding, I get the same number of tops - 36 - as a straight up SOG with twice the number of plants - while achieving much more control and higher quality results. Cutting the number of plants you have to deal with in half, while maintaining yeild and improving quality, is a pretty good deal - considering the only costs are 2 extra weeks in the vegger, and a little extra work from the grower. This becomes even more of an issue with multiple units.

Light Rail:

The light moves about 3'. It travels from edge to edge of the canopy with a small pause at each end. Adjusting this pause allows you to control the "dish" or "pillow" of the canopy. The flatter the canopy at the end - the better the results. This method gives me a 5' x 5' x 3' cube of great even light to work with.

Yeild:

Yeild is always second to buzz in my philosophy. That being said, at some point you have to pick what is worth your time and bloom room space. For me that minimum number for keepers is 1.7oz/plant average. This is just under 2lbs/1k - pretty respectable. My overall average goal is around 2.5. I expect to get around 2.5 with GDP. To get beyond these numbers requires special genetics. I found a plant that is just that. Next month I plan to start a run with the expressed goal of getting 5 lbs from 1k of light. It will be something new and challenging for me, and I plan to use every trick I know to pull it off.

Nutes:

Look for this soon. I am still thinking about how best to explain it all.

Vacations:

Yes - rarely! Growing at this level is like having dairy cows. Top off the rezes with RO water at lightrise, wait at least 4 hrs to measure and feed, and then deal with "the calving room" every day - the plants understand the concept of "weekend" about as much as cows. Some times I miss the "kiss" of dirt, but every time I open up the bloom room, the rush of sights and smells keeps me motivated to continue making it better.

-Hope this helps!

-AK

Yep!

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GDP Followup

First thank you all for your kind words. This was the first time I've let anyone have such a serious "look up my skirt". It was not without a degree of trepidation, let me assure you. But the open, positive environment that you all created made this a much easier proposition for sure.

So I strolled in to my local clinic with an elbow in hand and litteraly watched it sell out while I stood there. Course it helped that I did a lil pass-a-round while in line. Everyone behind me in que switched their order to Grand Doggy Purps until it was gone.

It was a proud moment for me, even tho I am used to bowling people over with top shelf.

Thanx again to Connoisseur Genetics for this great cross!

I'm going to have a tough time leaving my long term cure sample alone!

-AK

the gnome

Veteran
GDP Followup

So I strolled in to my local clinic with an elbow in hand and litteraly watched it sell out while I stood there. Course it helped that I did a lil pass-a-round while in line. Everyone behind me in que switched their order to Grand Doggy Purps until it was gone.

-AK

great job aero, I realy enjoyed following your grow.
also what your saying is happening on my end also.
the doggy purps have the entire package, looks smell
taste and a quality knock out punch.
I harvested 5 other strains that are proving hard to beat but
the gdp has gotten the comments on the quality.
I'm running them again hoping to up my yield but sadly will probably let it go but this is definitely what I would call a growers stash strain.

smoooth

Great thread aero! Really liked the detail you put into every step of the flowering process and has definitely given me some ideas on how to improve my own grow.

And the buds look amazing! Congrats on a great grow. And I'm keeping an eye on your 5lb/1k galactic grape grow you have going now. Can't wait to see those babies really kick it into over drive.

Smoooth

chongsbuddy

Veteran
wow,truly amazing!hats off to you my man.exceptionally done!you got 28 ounces with 1kw?how big was the growspace?

Last edited:

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
- the gnome

Its been great comparing notes with you as we grew this plant. I'm very pleased that you are able verify the results I got. It means that everyone can expect to find at least one great plant in a single pack of seeds. Thank you for all of your contributions to this thread.

- chongsbuddy

The grow space was 5' by 5'. Keep in mind this was a shakedown run. The goal of the run was to verify and determine the growth parameters for the first production run - where I go all out to maximise the plants performance.

Speaking of which. The GDP production run is scheduled to start in a week! In the mean time, I invite you all to check out my 5Lb/1K challenge thread where the goal is max production.

Here's a peak at 23 days:

Thanx everyone!

-AK

mack 10

Veteran
^^Man they looking seriously healthy aero! you might hit that dam 5lb's!lol keep the updates, coming, love to watch you work.Planning on running some gdp beans soon as well. Mack.

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Production Run Bloom Day 0 Update

Freshly Planted Unit:

Data:

Here we go! The goal for this run is 40 oz. We are are starting with considerably larger plants this time. They were vegged for a total of 44 days. We will definately have a full canopy this time!

This should be a fun ride!

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-AK

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Production Run Bloom Day 7 Update

Unit:

Canopy:

Track Plant:

Data:

Vigorous growth prompted me to add the trellis early. The earlier I can get everyone in the light the better. Everyone looks to be in great shape and has started sipping nutes.

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-AK

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
R. Fortune, a good friend of this thread for all his questions and research, has started a fantastic thread of his own. He is doing a step by step build-a-long of an aeroflo clone.

Check it out here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=239623

I know many have expressed interest in this. Here is your chance.

Help support quality threads here on ICMag by taking a moment to see what he's up to. It takes considerable effort and dedication to produce threads of this nature. Our encouragement can only help.

Thanks to Mr. Fortune for sharing this with the community.

-AK

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Production Run Bloom Day 14 Update

Unit:

Track Plant:

Side:

Data:

The plants are feeding nicely and the canopy is filling out. You can see on the side shot where one plant is growing weird. The tall shoot you see poking through parasitised the other half of the plant. The shorter half was slightly shaded and I don't think it will catch up. The trellis does a good job of equalizing light exposure, but it can't do its job if the grower screws up and leaves a growth tip in the shade!

-AK

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Production Run Bloom Update Day 21

Unit:

Bud:

Data:

I have added a second level to the trellis. The plants have been pruned, bottom fans removed, and strapped into place. Stretch is almost done. The plants got some minor leaf damage from my heat wave from a week ago, but seem to be unaffected. They continue to snarffle up the nutes!

-AK

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Production Run Bloom Update Day 28

Unit:

Bud:

Data:

The canopy has filled out and leveled off nicely. Already starting to get the sweet perfume aroma. The plants continue to eat aggressively - I've been PK boosting for about a week now with minimal tip burn.

-AK

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Production Run Bloom Update Day 35

Unit:

Bud:

Data:

Buds are swelling, trich production is up, and the super sweet perfume of GDP is in the air. Doesn't get much better.

Plants continue to eat while I moderately PK boost them. Still have no tip burn. Looks like the only effect of the heat fiasco was a little extra stretch and a few fried leaf tips.

-AK

Latest posts

Latest posts