What's new

Grain mites in cloning tent: Species?

The Zientist

Veteran
Hey ICMAG,

I've observed through the course of this week a few mite-like critters turning into a massive population, even coating the top part of the pots. I suppose they entered the show through clover seeds I've added to several mothers I was keeping around in the same tent at the time. They didn't thrive too well in dim light, and eventually most of them died and molded. This probably served as a huge bait/feed for these mites, while introducing them at the same time.
For reference, I normally only add clover as a "cover crop" in the flowering chamber, as later on they get mixed and integrated into soil when I recycle it and serves mostly as an N amendment and promotes soil microbial activity.

They appear to be leaving more mature plants along, just passing by without chewing, but they seem to be targeting fresh and recently transplanted clones. Specially near main stem where the plants were topped.

To my knowledge these are grain/mold mites and are thriving mostly on decaying matter. Please share your knowledge about them and if you know the exact species of the one's I'm posting, I'd be thankful. I'm leaning towards Tyrophagus sp. or Lepidoglyphus sp.

Thanks!

tZ

Attachments

• 20220506-220829-605.jpg
    20220506-220829-605.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220506-221013-629.jpg
    20220506-221013-629.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220506-221335-391.jpg
    20220506-221335-391.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 83

pjlive

I see possible wood mites in the first two pics.

And, for indoor potted plants, one of the simple fixes I use with mites or any creature with an exoskeleton is dry Diatomaceous Earth. It works just fine. You don't have to stress yourself too much over it at all. Plus, cannabis plants love it and it can modestly enhance your media.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Since they are on the green and not just in the soil I assume they would have a reason to be there like they are eating. In any case, the bug infestation is telling us something is out of wack. You may have an imbalance between the organic matter and the base aggregates in the potting mix. Or maybe something out of the composted materials was contaminated with the mite eggs. You can't grow with an infestation like you have without a lot of mental stress.

I don't know what kind of containers you are using. Take out as much of the lose organic matter in the pots as you can. Submerge the plant containers in warm water for a few seconds on a watering day. Repeat in needed. High heat works well too. Or you could buy yourself some miticide and use that. 😎

The Zientist

Veteran
Thanks guys.

The only plants they seem to be bothering with are the dying clovers. After reducing the humidity a bit as well as improving airflow, the mite population was drastically reduced.

I'll add a bit of fresh vermicompost to the top soil and I expect it to be under control, as it includes many species that will target the same substrate and will compete directly with them, plus the predatory mites that exist in it as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts