What's new

going to thailand on sunday.

Baphomet

How would I obtain seeds in Thailand (Bangkok) ?
Not really interested in partaking while I'm there, but would love to bring/send some Thai landrace seeds home...

ngakpa

Veteran
[B]Thai PM: We Will Send Hmong Back to Laos [/B]

Thai PM: We Will Send Hmong Back to Laos

hi Baphomet - if you want a safe stress-free seed hunt Thailand is probably not the place to be - Veng Vieng in Lao is a safer bet, though you may struggle to find anything which is not a hybrid

here is an update on the persecution of Hmong in Lao, and the refugee situation in Thailand - see the video links above if you want a sense of what a disasterous and cruel decision this is:

Thai PM: We Will Send Hmong Back to Laos
Monday August 6, 2007 9:16 PM

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Thailand will return some 8,000 ethnic Hmong refugees to Laos despite their claims that they face persecution in their homeland, the Thai prime minister said Monday.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont asserted that most of the refugees did not have legitimate asylum claims, but said an unspecified third country would be asked to monitor their repatriation to assure they were not abused.

Members of Laos' Hmong minority served in a CIA-backed guerrilla army that fought against Lao communists in the 1960s and 1970s. The refugees claim that as a result they face political persecution and possible harm in communist Laos.

Thirteen members of the U.S. House of Representatives sent a recent letter to Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej asking him to stop the forcible repatriation of the Hmong.

Human rights groups and the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees also have expressed concern for the Hmong, in large part because the government of Laos does not allow free monitoring of their condition.

Surayud said the matter had been discussed with Laos and ``we will make sure representatives from a third country are present to prevent human rights abuse as we send them back.''

Surayud said the country overseeing the repatriations would likely be a member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, to which both Thailand and Laos belong. He did not say when the repatriation might occur.

Most of the refugees are at an unofficial refugee camp in the northern Thai province of Phetchabun,

``If they entered the country illegally, then it is an issue that has to be taken care of, since there is no fighting going on now in our neighboring country,'' Surayud told reporters.

More than 300,000 Laotians, mostly Hmong, are known to have fled to Thailand since the communist takeover in 1975. Most were either repatriated to Laos or resettled in other countries, most in the United States.

In 2005, the U.S. allowed 15,000 Lao Hmong to immigrate from Thailand, but officials have said no more will be accepted.

Surayud said that unless the Hmong were sent back, it would be a ``never-ending problem. ... The situation in Laos ended since 1975. It's now 2007. If we don't deal with this problem, we will have to be home to more illegal immigrants. It is a burden in every way for us.''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6831335,00.html

Travis

How lucky!

How lucky!

Chamba said:
when in Thailand, one must visit an island..and experience the "Koh Samuii breakfast"Chock dee!

I remember my Samui (ban thon)breakfast: actually we mean "Asian breakfast" they used to fry chops of garlic in oil, add the boiled rice, some Thai Soya sauce and roll the whole in the shaker for a few seconds...a spliff of green oil and tobacco was rolled later. Farmer how lucky we are to travel to Thailand!

G

guest123

yts farmer said:
hey there will be hitting thailand on sunday around 6pm will be in bangkok for the first night and next morning will be getting a plane to koh pan yang(sorry about my spelling).

while im in bangkok i wanna do a couple of things while there like catching a thai boxing match seeing some of these crazy bars where the girls fire ping pong balls around the place lol.
what else is there to see and do whilst in bangkok?know of any decent places to stay whilst im in bankokand any places generally to avoid.

or have you any suggestions of other places and things to do whilst im there.

if your into historical stuff theres some cool things u can check out on a day drive from bkk ..
i would recommend visiting Ayuthaya ... , described as one of the greatest and wealthiest cities in asia in its time .. its an amazing place and well worth a good look around ....

math_weed

Wow Wallyduck, those are some amazing structures in the first picture. Thanks for suggesting the Ayutthaya Kingdom, I read a few articles and now I am very interested in visiting Thailand. I have never been to Asia, but if I go I will definitely visit Thailand.

BTW, here is the article in Wikipedia for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayutthaya_kingdom

Cheers,
math

yts farmer

Veteran
@wallyduck,a lil late for me on that 1.lol

op is about a year old but will be going back soon so will look into it,cheers.