What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goin outdoors.

OttoGrower

What determining factor do you guys follow in planning when to put your autos outdoors?

I am under a coastal influence,and this time of year it is cool I understand that,but it is rapidly approaching the normal frost free date.Even after the last frost free date,it still stays fairly cool,with temps in the upper 50's to mid 60's,overnights normally in the upper 40's.

Thoughts?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
April-August, your best bets....succession planting every 25-30 days, choose a south facing area for warmth, maximum sun. If it's too cool, autos don't do much; strain dependent, however.

Jd421

April-August, your best bets....succession planting every 25-30 days, choose a south facing area for warmth, maximum sun. If it's too cool, autos don't do much; strain dependent, however.

Very true. Autos don't flower well in cold weather. Cold being a relative term. Cold for autos being 50 to 60 degrees during flower with Max light(aka a cool sunny day) they do best with Long hours of light and between 70 to 80 degrees in Max daylight. Colder claimy weather slows down autos. They will still flower no matter what. But yields are lower and the cold can delay flowers by a week or two. If you live in a cool ocean maritime area consider growing indoors.

OttoGrower

Thanks for the response ab.I appreciate that the temps aren't optimum by any stretch.I just want to get a few different autos cycled through and choose the ones that will work best for me.Admittedly,the ones ran first will be at a disadvantage,but I will try to allow for that.

Very true. Autos don't flower well in cold weather. Cold being a relative term. Cold for autos being 50 to 60 degrees during flower with Max light(aka a cool sunny day) they do best with Long hours of light and between 70 to 80 degrees in Max daylight. Colder claimy weather slows down autos. They will still flower no matter what. But yields are lower and the cold can delay flowers by a week or two. If you live in a cool ocean maritime area consider growing indoors.

I hear what you are saying d421.Maybe running under a makeshift cloche/greenhouse covering might make a difference.Unfortunately, my current circumstances do not allow for an indoor.

Maybe a greenhouse could be constructed later in the year,but that doesn't help me for the early season.I guess some bud is better than none,so we will see what happens.

Would I be correct in saying that 3gal fabric bags would be a reasonable size for most autos? Would super autos be better off in 5gal,do you guys suppose?

Thanks.

OG

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
3 gallon ample. 5 for larger/super autos. If you can create a natural barrier or 2ltr soda bottles taped in a circle...it holds in heat.
Good luck!

Veggia farmer

Experience talk? interesting.. My personal experience is that they start flower when its "mild" enough.. Also read that the autoflowering gen doesnt switch on before the weather is mild enough.. I come from Norway and ten years ago I started 100 diesel ryders indoors and planted them out just after they had sprouted, one week old, started first week of may or 1may. they grew bigger then indoors and first sign of pistill was after summer solstice.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I wouldn't waste your time with small bags. Get 35 or 45 gallon bags. Root space is crutial for auto flowering plants. They will start flowering 4 to 5 weeks from germination. Anything that restricts root growth restricts yield. Don't get sold on a name either. Super Autos, many and most auto genetics are junk. Many so called breeders jumped on the hype of autos without doing any real breeding. As I stated in your other thread go to Aceseeds.org. The Lebanese and the auto Malawi x Northern lights is the highest quality your going to find in autos. When someone is trying to sale you a bunch of hype, walk away. Great genetics don't need hype.
Peace