What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Giant Reed" as alternative to bamboo for trellising/support

I may have mentioned this in some thread or two around here before but I don't know if I've made a thread about it.

Just a heads up about this plant. I'm sure many of ya'll have seen it before. "Giant Reed" (Arundo donax) is super invasive all across the western USA, and likely many other regions around the world.

It is similar to bamboo in structure. I don't know the technical data in regards to strength/durability comparison between the two but the giant reed is plenty strong to use for trellising/support of cannabis plants.

It tends to grow around riparian habitats. It is detrimental to the native eco systems. Taking out of a bunch of reeds won't be taking away from the eco-system (perhaps a few bugs & small critters that have made the reeds home). From what I understand it can not be killed/eradicated unless the roots are thoroughly pulled up, so unfortunately the plant is a major pain in the ass to get rid of.

Earlier today I collected probably 100 feet or more of the stuff to use for trellising & support of my plants, it didn't cost me a thing besides 20 minutes of hot & sweaty work. I didn't even put a dent in the stand of reeds, not even a scratch.

So if you're on a budget and like to save a bit of $, keep an eye out for this plant around riparian areas. Grab some heavy duty clippers/cutters and some bungee cords to tie the reeds together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundo_donax

iu

iu

ColaCalyx

This is great to see. I've been recommending the use of Arundo Donax for years. The best way to fight these invasive species is to use them! SoCal is overrun, and the cities don't do a thing about it.
Giant Reed has traditionally been used to make bag pipes, and also used as roofing. It is more flexible than bamboo, but not as sturdy. Grows super fast, is nearly impossible to kill, and is a dynamic accumulator.
I have used the leaves as mulch, and the canes as stakes. It has high amounts of silica and barely has any pests. This led me to believe it has uses as an insecticide, or at least a deterrent....so I've made teas from the leaves to add to my IPM foliar sprays. There isn't enough out there about this plant's potential uses in the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_20200624_180048_535.jpg
    IMG_20200624_180048_535.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200613_110243.jpg
    20200613_110243.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 27