What's new

GH Flora Series massive PH spike over a few days

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have had some bad grows, the last 2 runs, and have not been checking runoff in coco or nutrient solution after initially adjusting. After 5 days it raised from 5.8 to 6.4 and takes a lot (maybe ten times as much) of PH down to get back to 5.8 so I can use it again, in the batch I made for feeding. Using RO water from a mangy well. Solution is not getting direct light. I do use flora nectar, which I think has a lot of sugar in it. At old house used it for years with no problems like this, but also used solution a lot quicker. Maybe I should not pre make any?? Used to use a full 5 gallons a day, now use it over 4 or 5 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is another run that does not smell very much, where GG4 can usually be smelled down the block and right through ziploc bags.

Also runoff has algae and water stinks.

Loc Dog

Veteran
What is the pH and ppm of the starting water before adding anything?😎

21 ppm and 6.6 PH. RO out of tap. Horrible water here, and town said it failed inspection twice, but they did not know why. Water comes out brownish from well. Might have an underground waterflow instead of stable well. Vary rocky land with radon. GH is supposed to self adjust PH, but usually needs some PH down to get to 5.8 PH. Whole house filter water is about 300PPM before RO filter. Over 1000 PPM out of ground. Forget exactly how high.

I have also had PH runoff very high. Think it might be from using air pots and not putting bottom on high enough (supposed to use 3rd level and used first level for more coco). At that height it does not air prune roots coming out the bottom, so does not need feed as often.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I have had some bad grows, the last 2 runs, and have not been checking runoff in coco or nutrient solution after initially adjusting. After 5 days it raised from 5.8 to 6.4 and takes a lot (maybe ten times as much) of PH down to get back to 5.8 so I can use it again, in the batch I made for feeding. Using RO water from a mangy well. Solution is not getting direct light. I do use flora nectar, which I think has a lot of sugar in it. At old house used it for years with no problems like this, but also used solution a lot quicker. Maybe I should not pre make any?? Used to use a full 5 gallons a day, now use it over 4 or 5 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is another run that does not smell very much, where GG4 can usually be smelled down the block and right through ziploc bags.

Also runoff has algae and water stinks.

if your using an air stone stop … also stop with the flora nectar doesn’t keep well in the rez… coco Gh flora all you need is your micro/bloom at a 2/3 ratio to the desired pms 2.5ml cal mag and your set… if you wanted I also use diamond nectar at 2.5 ml per gallon and if you want to bring out extra pop in your flavor bcuzz bloom stimulator at 2.5ml … if you want to feee anything organic or sweeteners which is not need hand water them in or what I do before the last feed is pumped out of the tank I add enough for the feed and then mix a fresh batch of the base….

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
21 ppm and 6.6 PH. RO out of tap. Horrible water here, and town said it failed inspection twice, but they did not know why. Water comes out brownish from well. Might have an underground waterflow instead of stable well. Vary rocky land with radon. GH is supposed to self adjust PH, but usually needs some PH down to get to 5.8 PH. Whole house filter water is about 300PPM before RO filter. Over 1000 PPM out of ground. Forget exactly how high.

I have also had PH runoff very high. Think it might be from using air pots and not putting bottom on high enough (supposed to use 3rd level and used first level for more coco). At that height it does not air prune roots coming out the bottom, so does not need feed as often.

Try this mix all ml per gallon
5ml micro
7.5 bloom
2.5 calmag
2.5 diamond nectar
​​​​​​.5ml powerSi

i bet it will come out to 5.6-5.8 ph 1.2-1.4 ec and straighten everything up if you water 6x a day for 30sec your runoff will be the same as what’s goin in… or damn close to it

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Want to add r u sure your cuts not dudded a lot of cuts been having that issue and having a lot of sour dubb in Gg4 it’s highly susceptible to it

Loc Dog

Veteran
Want to add r u sure your cuts not dudded a lot of cuts been having that issue and having a lot of sour dubb in Gg4 it’s highly susceptible to it

Really hope not. I really neglect mother plants compared to those going into flower. Think it is too late to fix these plants. should come down this week, but pushing 2 weeks longer to hopefully get something worthwhile. Also, thousands of miles from places to get new clones.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Try this mix all ml per gallon
5ml micro
7.5 bloom
2.5 calmag
2.5 diamond nectar
​​​​​​.5ml powerSi

i bet it will come out to 5.6-5.8 ph 1.2-1.4 ec and straighten everything up if you water 6x a day for 30sec your runoff will be the same as what’s goin in… or damn close to it

Pretty much what I am feeding, except floralicious and flora nectar also. Going into late week on chart, which drops diamond nectar, but threw in last mix since decided to go longer. Also I do hand water. How do you deal with runoff, when auto feeding. I just have clear plastic plant trays (not sure if correct term).

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I stabilize my water with cal-mag 12 to 24 hrs before adding GH fertilizers. GH flora series fertilizers are designed to rise after the application because the Hydrogen exchanges with the nutrients. As the hydrogen exchanges and disappears, the pH rises. Its suppose to do that and is the only way the nutrients can exchange. It's kind of like a yo-yo, you start low with each application and it rises to allow a complete range of nutrient exposure up the pH scale. If you apply the fertilizer before it stabilizes you can disrupt the nutrient chain. The bottom line is pH always changes from the minute you add it to water and to the soil because of the nutrient and hydrogen exchange. Before a nutrient can be transported and used, it must link up with a Hydrogen molecule. When the nutrient is used the hydrogen disappears causing the pH to rise. 😎

Loc Dog

Veteran
I stabilize my water with cal-mag 12 to 24 hrs before adding GH fertilizers. GH flora series fertilizers are designed to rise after the application because the Hydrogen exchanges with the nutrients. As the hydrogen exchanges and disappears, the pH rises. Its suppose to do that and is the only way the nutrients can exchange. It's kind of like a yo-yo, you start low with each application and it rises to allow a complete range of nutrient exposure up the pH scale. If you apply the fertilizer before it stabilizes you can disrupt the nutrient chain. The bottom line is pH always changes from the minute you add it to water and to the soil because of the nutrient and hydrogen exchange. Before a nutrient can be transported and used, it must link up with a Hydrogen molecule. When the nutrient is used the hydrogen disappears causing the pH to rise. 😎

Thanks! Does that also go for coco? GH says to add silica first, then calcium. Is it OK to add both 24 hours before adding others?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm speaking about General Hydroponics flora series-based fertilizer model. The coco guys will have to answer your question about silica and calcium. 😎

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Pretty much what I am feeding, except floralicious and flora nectar also. Going into late week on chart, which drops diamond nectar, but threw in last mix since decided to go longer. Also I do hand water. How do you deal with runoff, when auto feeding. I just have clear plastic plant trays (not sure if correct term).
With my multi feeds I don’t water to a lot of run off I just keep it wet the entire time with 30-40 sec spurts…but if your hand watering u would probably want some run off… I know the trays u talking about how I would handle the run off idk I always ran my coco on flood tables with the drain goin outside …
the do make a saucer system that has risers where the saucer drains into a catch rez or outside

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Thanks! Does that also go for coco? GH says to add silica first, then calcium. Is it OK to add both 24 hours before adding others?

I never mixed in the order they say… I always used micro first then bloom then cal mag the other stuff and used Silica last never had any issues … I did have issues when I switch to power si dropping my ph way low but countered it by using it at half strength then using Gh armor so at the same .5 ml amd it always fell right back in range

Loc Dog

Veteran
I never mixed in the order they say… I always used micro first then bloom then cal mag the other stuff and used Silica last never had any issues … I did have issues when I switch to power si dropping my ph way low but countered it by using it at half strength then using Gh armor so at the same .5 ml amd it always fell right back in range

I just have a 4 X 8 grow tent, so not able to raise plants at all, especially with Vero 29 COBS

I have seen charts with and without side notes. This is the one with, which claims SI then CalMag first -

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/99/b1/ea/99b1eaeafa9aa5ea39153ff8c54d1bef.jpg

Thanks for advice.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I just have a 4 X 8 grow tent, so not able to raise plants at all, especially with Vero 29 COBS

I have seen charts with and without side notes. This is the one with, which claims SI then CalMag first -

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/99/b1/ea/99b1eaeafa9aa5ea39153ff8c54d1bef.jpg

Thanks for advice.

Ya I seen those charts years ago and was told by everyone Even Rex from power si i was doin it wrong but my results didn’t change when I switched to si and cal first so I went back to what I always did… I don’t think it’s nearly as critical as they make it seem… 20 years ago it was noted to put the micro first … I just stick to the old way of things and works for me… check these saucers out kinda what I was thinking but think it will be cheaper using a couple bricks under regular saucers with 1/2in bulkheads to drain into a catch rez

Attachments

• 3474AF03-720F-4C90-BFAD-2E4D25D56102.png
    3474AF03-720F-4C90-BFAD-2E4D25D56102.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 51