What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get High and Go Hiking!

DAT

haha, i know that cold feeling, no fun,no fun at all.
The OCT has no part of the PCT in it at all.
The PCT shoots through central Oregon.
Did you ever see that movie with Reese Witherspoon called "WILD"?
Its pretty silly. she hikes through to the northern Oregon border by the Columbia River on the PCT to the " bridge of the gods."
That Bridge is ridiculous. It costs a buck to cross it and its pathetically short. I know its only a buck, but still, i was like.. WHAT? THATS IT!!! NEVER AGAIN! hee hee

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I did see it. I have to say it was disappointing. Not bad, per se - but not great.

I think I might go for a jaunt on Saturday.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Just now saw this thread pop up. Apologies to those that have already seen these. I just happened to have them uploaded to icmag already.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran

So, I got super motivated recently and signed up to finish my last college classes starting in January...but I didn't stop there...because of my love of the outdoors, an adventurous spirit, I started planning to thru hike the Colorado Trail next summer..likely to start late in June and just take my time.

Still looking at gear, planning on re supply towns, reading a lot and just watching videos and getting inspired.

I know it's only November, but this trail has stirred my imagination...it calls to me to explore it. I know that it will be tough, but it will be so amazing to finish it and I want to be one of the few that actually completes it.

I know for sure I'll be puffing down in my tent every night so I've got to take some herb. Just, how much is the question. I'm sure to meet some herb smokers along the way and want to share, so some of my pack weight is gonna be weed...lol

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=40823&pictureid=1677098" target="_blank">View Image

So, I got super motivated recently and signed up to finish my last college classes starting in January...but I didn't stop there...because of my love of the outdoors, an adventurous spirit, I started planning to thru hike the Colorado Trail next summer..likely to start late in June and just take my time.

Still looking at gear, planning on re supply towns, reading a lot and just watching videos and getting inspired.

I know it's only November, but this trail has stirred my imagination...it calls to me to explore it. I know that it will be tough, but it will be so amazing to finish it and I want to be one of the few that actually completes it.

I know for sure I'll be puffing down in my tent every night so I've got to take some herb. Just, how much is the question. I'm sure to meet some herb smokers along the way and want to share, so some of my pack weight is gonna be weed...lol

Is that part of the CDT? How long is the trail and how much do you smoke? I used to bring 1/2 oz for a 5-6 day trip. 3 js a day - morning, noon and night. Actually, I found it easier to just roll it all ahead of time and double bag it. You never know if a troop of cub scouts is gonna roll up on you in the middle of rolling a spliff.

Good luck with college and your trip!

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
The trail is 485 miles...yes, part of it is shared with the Continental Divide Trail for, I think, 200 miles or so.

I've seen so many videos, read an end to end guide all the way through, studied a bit on necessary gear...but there's only so much you can do before you just get out and actually do it.

I smoke a couple bowls a day..mostly some time in the morning and then again at night. I don't want to carry much on me, but just enough to get ripped twice a day for like 35 to 40 days/nights.

I just recently joined a gym once again, so I'm trying to lose some lbs. before I go...If I'm lucky, I'll probably get to like 200 lbs by June...I could only imagine how much of a skeleton I'd be If I got to 180 before I left and lost the average amount of 15 to 20 lbs on the trail.

I'll be ready to get on the trail by late June...after math and science classes from Jan. through May. Will be a much better thru hike knowing I'll be a semester away from earning my degree.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Youll have plenty of time to do some gear shakedowns then. Sucks being stuck with subpar/faulty/uncomfortable/useless gear.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I probably posted it already in this thread but I quit my job, lived out of my car, and climbed all the 14ers in one summer. I know it's not through hiking the Colorado Trail but there is definitely some overlap as that trail is shared with some 14er trails, most notably the Collegiates and Sawatch range. It sounds like you have already done your due diligence in regards to gear and all that. Pick up the rest of the gear that you will need but the most important thing is to just get up and out and do it. I wouldn't waste any time dragging your feet when the time comes. Just set out and keep going. Late June is a good time to start as well. There might be the odd snow drift along the trail but that will give you a good window to get it done. Dont' skimp on your tent or good rain gear as that will be the monsoon season too. Getting shit wet is just about the quickest way to get your spirits down.

I also wouldn't stress too much about losing weight so much as just getting in better shape. Do some cardio to get better with that. YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT on the trail, believe that. I think when I first started I lost 20 pounds in 2 or 3 weeks. You'll meet cool people on the trail too. In regards to weed and weight, I wouldn't worry about the weight of the weed. It's more of a volume thing at that point and the bulk of having an appropriately sized crush proof container. If you are worried about making it last as long as possible then be sure to mix in some keif or bubble hash for the best bang for your buck (volume wise) scenario.

As the event gets closer keep me in mind for beta and advice. Quitting my job I hated and going on that summer adventure was the best thing I did. I'm very glad I did it and you will be glad you did your adventure too. Don't make excuses and finish what you set out to do!

You got this! :yes:

love hiking here in Colorado and hitting up 14ers and backpacking!
here are a few dumb shots..but loe a little smoke break along the way!

Attachments

• 20170612_185759.jpg
    20170612_185759.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20170612_190913.jpg
    20170612_190913.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20170618_112247.jpg
    20170618_112247.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 72
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=40823&pictureid=1677098&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

probably wont answer if on the road now, but do tell of this story please! Sounds like an amazing trip!