What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Baked and Go Fishing

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Youtube counts...when you cant get to the water! My fishing time minimal these days, too much weed, so I consider a trip to the local aquarium store a fishing session these days.. Mayb squeeze another tuna trip before they are gone for the winter.:rolleyes:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Youtube counts...when you cant get to the water! My fishing time minimal these days, too much weed, so I consider a trip to the local aquarium store a fishing session these days.. Mayb squeeze another tuna trip before they are gone for the winter.:rolleyes:
when i was a kid, next door neighbors son had an aquarium with big gold fish in it....:whistling: good luck with the yellowfin! i think the very biggest we caught were in upper 60s...like to try them on slightly lighter tackle if i go back. they were ready for marlin and sails.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
when i was a kid, next door neighbors son had an aquarium with big gold fish in it....:whistling: good luck with the yellowfin! i think the very biggest we caught were in upper 60s...like to try them on slightly lighter tackle if i go back. they were ready for marlin and sails.
Great to see you still playing them. Yellow fins have to be really exciting, please don't break line. Have a great day..DD..

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Spoke to a mate out today, they found the fish! Maybe get a gap now harvests are over to go out...Said they were all smaller class fish...60's...kgs.. ;) Last week they caught a 92kg..202lb! They fishing big tiagra 80w's and 50LRS's for them, not playing games..80lb rigs..200lb leaders..some southern bluefin and big eye also hooked last week by different crew over 100kg so you never know what grabs you out there in your chum line...4 or 5 years back we hooked what can only be a MOFO bigeye or cow bluefin, dragged the boat into the current for 17 nautical miles while spending most its time swimming back to the bottom at 500m deep and we never got to see it in 4and half hours of fight on 130lb marlin rig..skipper and his wife fought the fish and he landed a few grander marlin and he was like that thing was like no other he'd hooked before..who knows..hahahah thats what keeps you going back..among others..

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
1654557149569.png

1654557476648.png

1654557531543.png

Last one the SBT..not as big as the Atlantic BF get, but last 2 or 3 seasons the first time they caught here in 50-60 years, as a result of conservation efforts by the Aussies and NZ's and Japs..

All pics from : https://www.facebook.com/marlincontrol/ "Skiboat Mobile" the local skiboat comms station on land this side of the world..we have no coast guard but the most treacherous ocean except for maybe tasmania being worse..all sea rescue or safety is publicly funded or volunteer run basically here in deep dark africa..But the fishings rad! And we build our boats to take it..

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This fish I had to catch in my smaller pond, with a .22 rifle. Grass carp, and it was soo cute a few years ago when I stocked it. The kid is 4' tall...

There is still one in the big pond, but so are the big cats which kinda look the same when they come up to feed. I don't want to shoot the catfish

Attachments

• DSC01862.JPG
    DSC01862.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 112

armedoldhippy

Veteran
love watching them things blow up on a topwater plug! lost several big ones this spring on huge streamer flies i tied. i think i used too large of a hook, could not sink it in with a flyrod...get a jump or two and they came unbuttoned.:jump:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
love watching them things blow up on a topwater plug! lost several big ones this spring on huge streamer flies i tied. i think i used too large of a hook, could not sink it in with a flyrod...get a jump or two and they came unbuttoned.:jump:
Thinner wire hook, big barb...if on a plug theres another trick to stick those jumpers we figured out..hahaha but not my trick so leave that for PM if the thin wire big hook, big barb not work..but like spinning where you wind him tight then stick him, strip him till rod is bending, then stick him and that should get em stuck..

Fish on topwater is mad...Yellowtail my favorite, nothing like those big white lips of a big yellowtail as he tries to swallow your topwater plug..and then that explosion! But on topwater, I dont care if it a tuna or a mullet..its all crazy fun! Even feeding the fish in my tank, letting little worms float on top and seeing the glowlight tetras spot the prize beat the minnows and zoom so fast across the tank and smash that thing, like a true miniature gamefish..Love it!

Last edited:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Went bassin' at sunset and caught this 28 incher on my first cast with an old red and white Rapala swimmer.
Twenty eight inches is the minimum size and it was the first fish of the night so I let it go.
IMG_4992.jpg

Then caught this 30 incher right at dark..
Kept it.
706495658.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
striped bass are a hit or miss as to eating. if i catch them during winter/early spring when the water is cold, they are delicious! after the water warms up, meh. i turn them loose. taste real fishy like flounder that didn't get filleted properly...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
fishing getting harder with age. more to the point, WALKING and/or wading is. been fishing twice in the last few days, fell on my ass repeatedly. slick rocks, swift current, could NOT keep my balance. :cautious: being stoned prob didn't help, lol. at least i caught a few today. landed 5 largemouth and 4 good-sized white bass. shoulda eaten them...

I Care

420giveaway
I’ll get in on this. I gotta story about finding a vape pen and cartridge in the sand while I was working on the beach in 2019. Went to the usual fishing spot on my way home from work and started ripping that thing I found. I usually bottom fish with a Carolina rig, in saltwater, for reef fish. The trick to the Carolina rig is letting them take it and run with it. Pick up the rod top, close the nail and reel in the hook set. So I was doing that but everything I was doing was with a great delay and I couldn’t catch a freakin’ thing.

Then later on that year my cuzzin was in town and we went on a party boat charter. Some guys we met on the boat gave me one of their pot brownies they had brought for the trip. I got skunked all day, like everyone on the boat was catching fish, I was getting bites. But again I was just not doing anything right and was just letting me take the bait and bringing up an empty hook.

This day I determined that I just like to do one of the other. If I’m fishin I’m fishin, if I’m smoking I’m smokin. If I’m smokin and finishing, well I’m just there to feed the fish. Otherwise I’ll just go out there and get shrimped every time!

I will say, throwing a jig can be a lot of fun if you don’t smoke too much and get all stoned. At that point, I just get hungry and pack it up. I prefer to be an active fisherman, never really been big on sitting around with a slack line waiting to get catfished. Lol

1712214303447.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest posts