What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Baked and Go Fishing

davers

great, I love to cook grilled fish or meat. But my old smoker was stolen. I decided to buy new one. Few I found on https://lilgrill.com/best-smoker-for-beginners/ and will choose one for myself. Its good equipment for cooking on yard.In such smokers the wood pellets are automatically added in when they are needed with an internal auger

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
20211113_162856.jpg

Yellowfin tuna...180lb or so....caught on bait, a fresh hake fillet.. One of 4 that I got for the day, they were feeding on the scraps being thrown off a hake longliner that was hauling in lines and cleaning fish, must have been hundreds of fish under that boat, baits would go down 3m and get eaten..Amazing day at sea, in the end we just took hooks off lures and were having fun with the fish on light casting gear, everywhere you cast packs of hungry tuna all the same size class would erupt, they were eating and in a wild mood having just swum back a few thousand miles after spawning, just exploding on whatever plug or popper you threw at them...and the game would be on for the next few minutes to get your lure back. As one would let go and realize it wasn't food, so another would grab it and swim off..Pure fishing madness.. Day was quiet, with just 2 longfin and a small yellow on backlines, then I decided to roll a really loud one and sit at the back of the boat...By the time it was finished we were nearing the longliner and the sounder just lit up! Next few hours were chaos..What a day!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
damn fine yellowfin! those we caught off of Hatteras were only in the 60 to 70 lb range. would have liked to try them on lighter tackle, but they rig for the biggest thing that "might" bite, and sometimes that would be a sailfish or blue marlin, maybe a mako. hoped for mahi, but no luck on our boat.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah Cape town yellowfin can be unbelievable when its on and the weather is playing along...It is basically the large fish of the east africa stock mixed with some of the south atlantic stock but mostly the east african stock, and all the small ones are up off sub tropical and tropical africa and since the somali pirates chased the chinese trawlers away from the spawning zones inshore off their coast, the fishing has just got better and better for the last ten years. Average size is the 150-240lb class, with big eye mixed with down deeper sometimes and last 3 or 4 years each year more and more, Southern Bluefin Tuna have also started making their appearance for the first time in 50 years..We hooked a monster 4 years back that could have only been a 500lb to double that SBT, 4 and a half hours on 130lb standup tackle and we never even got to see it. Would hit the thermocline of warm water at 25m depth and run straight back to the bottom at over 500m..dragged a 30ft boat 17 nautical miles against the current and eventually the leader chaffed through, there were some tears!

Grommers

Outdoor activities are quite popular in our time, I love fishing or camping in our camping park near house. Fishing may not seem like much of a workout, but that’s the beauty of it. It’s low-impact cardio that can be as active or easy-going as you want. I used to got to fishing two times per month. I am into searching new gears for fishing and have plan to test Everest marketplace and find something for myself.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
overslept for turkey hunting this morning, so went fishing instead and caught some nice white bass on my fly rod in the Holston River. kept seeing fish splashing around some shoreline rocks, but blew it off thinking "spawning carp". wrong! there were small gar cruising along the bank, and the big smallmouth bedded there were literally attacking them if they got too close to the nests. they were so protective that i could not run them away from their nest. i hung my streamer literally IN one smallies nest, & it stayed there as i waded up & put the rod tip next to it to get my fly loose. i hooked and landed a couple of nice ones (20-22 inches) before i realized what was going on & left. never seen a bass attack a gar before...live & learn.:chin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
small lake nearby has trout...a LOT of trout. all this time, i thought i had fished all of the streams flowing into it, and have caught rainbows in all of them. found another one today while hiking back edge of state park on trails i'd never walked. this one is the largest of the lot, nice falls, deep holes, undercut banks, looks like where i would want to live if i was a rainbow trout, lol. strange thing....NO sign of anyone fishing. no salmon egg jars, loose kernels of corn on rocks along creek, no line tangled in tree branches overhanging the pools, nothing. going back tomorrow with my fly rod. be tough going to sleep tonight! :woohoo: the way my weather luck has been going, it will probably rain tonight & muddy the creek though. :badday:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
well, THAT sucked. drove thirty miles to a tiny native brookie stream. hiked a half mile up the mountain before i started fishing. lost a small rainbow (below the waterfall) before it started sprinkling rain, & landed one gorgeous brookie after...then the damn bottom fell out of the clouds! i'm 64 yrs old, and MAYBE twice in my life have i been rained on that hard! creek blew out completely, water turned brown & came up a foot in ten minutes. came back to hit the "new" stream i have not fished yet, and it was so muddy that raccoon tracks were floating in it... "too thin to plow, too thick to drink" as the oldtimers said. maybe try again in a couple of days. geez...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Nice stories guys! Pike season is hot now here in Finland! Fish, Beer,joints and Sun thats all what i need..:cool:
got pike in a lake about 20 miles off, never fished for them before. do you use live bait or artificials when you go for them? i've hooked muskies here, a very similar fish, but ALL of them were hooked while fishing for bass...except the only one i landed; hooked it on 4 lb test stuff fishing for crappies around a boat dock. that was exciting...:woohoo:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i got ripped and WATCHED fishing on tv this morning? does that count? it rained so much the last couple of days that drinking fountains have muddy water running through them. :redface: