What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating Old and Stubborn Seeds

Mithridate

Did you have success on some old seeds using the Super Germ?
I tried the super germ on my skunks as they are the oldest seeds I have and the ones giving me the most trouble.

3 batches of 100 seeds were prepared.
1 control, cleaned then paper towel
1 soaked in super germ then laid in paper towel moistened with the soak solution
1 soaked in kelp then each seed zapped with a 9v battery

After 1 week, all 3 batches had about the same germination rate. The zapped seeds seemed to be more vigorous and break the membrane on their own.

To be fair, I don't know if testing with skunks was the best choice.. I doubt anything would make them germinate beyond the few fighters that do miraculously pop

kroon

I tried the super germ on my skunks as they are the oldest seeds I have and the ones giving me the most trouble.

3 batches of 100 seeds were prepared.
1 control, cleaned then paper towel
1 soaked in super germ then laid in paper towel moistened with the soak solution
1 soaked in kelp then each seed zapped with a 9v battery

After 1 week, all 3 batches had about the same germination rate. The zapped seeds seemed to be more vigorous and break the membrane on their own.

To be fair, I don't know if testing with skunks was the best choice.. I doubt anything would make them germinate beyond the few fighters that do miraculously pop
Epic on the zapping man!
I am getting a magnet on Monday to do some tests on seeds that dont want to pop, so will look into the zapping also. Any links to share?

In the process of testing a freshly blended aloe juice soak on some stubborn seeds.

Based on the obtained results we can conclude that the treatment with a certain percentage
water extract of Aloe can enhance seed vigor and plant productivity of scarlet sage - Salvia
splendens L.
Water extracts of Aloe at a concentration of 20% (T4) had very statistically significant effect
on the seed germination, germination energy and number of developed cotyledons.
Concentration of 10% (T2) had very statistically significant effect on root length and fresh
mass of scarlet sage seedlings. Treatment T2 did not show statistically significant effects on
shoot lenght and dry mass, but the average values had slightly allelopathic influence than
other treatments or control. We can conclude that the 20% water extract of Aloe is
recomended in seed germination, but 10% water extract can be used in trasplantation phase,
like biostimulants, to enhance shoot and root lenghts of scarlet sage - Salvia splendens L. The
observed positive effects of the presence of allelochemicals may be the subject of further
research in the form of a plant stimulator of crop growth and development.

Mithridate

Epic on the zapping man!
I am getting a magnet on Monday to do some tests on seeds that dont want to pop, so will look into the zapping also. Any links to share?

In the process of testing a freshly blended aloe juice soak on some stubborn seeds.

Based on the obtained results we can conclude that the treatment with a certain percentage
water extract of Aloe can enhance seed vigor and plant productivity of scarlet sage - Salvia
splendens L.
Water extracts of Aloe at a concentration of 20% (T4) had very statistically significant effect
on the seed germination, germination energy and number of developed cotyledons.
Concentration of 10% (T2) had very statistically significant effect on root length and fresh
mass of scarlet sage seedlings. Treatment T2 did not show statistically significant effects on
shoot lenght and dry mass, but the average values had slightly allelopathic influence than
other treatments or control. We can conclude that the 20% water extract of Aloe is
recomended in seed germination, but 10% water extract can be used in trasplantation phase,
like biostimulants, to enhance shoot and root lenghts of scarlet sage - Salvia splendens L. The
observed positive effects of the presence of allelochemicals may be the subject of further
research in the form of a plant stimulator of crop growth and development.
I got the zapping tech from rory borealis, I think he's on icmag..

I took a 9v connector from an old alarm clock and left a good 6" of wire on it, then stripped the last inch. The aim is to touch the top of the seed with both wires for a second or two simultaneously. It's important to be on a grounded surface when doing this. I used a wooden spoon to work on.

I noticed this tech seemed to really help with oversaturation, and embryos stayed firm much longer.

I also tried sowing directly in chunks of aloe, some had great results with it, I found it was on par with my regular method.

F2F

@SolarLogos turned me onto fresh EWC for germ of old/stubborn seeds. Couldn’t find his original post but I emailed it to myself and posted here a while back. Not calling him “old”, and he is back around the boards lately which makes me happy. 😁

There is a method an old member posted here once. I copied and emailed it to myself. Works nicely for old seeds. Patience and fresh EWC. Often nothing will happen for weeks, then days 20-30 they start busting through the dirt.

Peace
F2F

Old seed germination technique

Preparation
A. Bleach Solution: 1tbs bleach + 1gallon tap H2O
B. Coconut Solution: 1/4th tsp H2O2 + 2 shots coconut water + ½ drop of Rapidstart
C. EWC in starter pots, FRESH!! Must not contain residual organic matter or mold will grow.

Process
1. Soak seeds in bleach solution 20min
2. Gloves for all subsequent handling steps
3. Rinse with tapwater in strainer
4. Soak in coconut solution 12hr
5. Crack seeds at each end, not middle
6. Soak additional 12hr to 24hr (preferred)
7. Sow at ¼” - ½” beneath substrate (fresh EWC). Keep EWC loose to promote oxygen exchange.
8. Cover with dome, keep @80 – 85deg F for up to 30 days. Do not let EWC dry out. Mist spray EWC, dome, and walls to maintain RH of 85 – 99%.

kroon

@SolarLogos turned me onto fresh EWC for germ of old/stubborn seeds. Couldn’t find his original post but I emailed it to myself and posted here a while back. Not calling him “old”, and he is back around the boards lately which makes me happy. 😁
Thanks, will test this method sometime also.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
When I travel, which was a lot before Covid, my travel hobby was collecting local seeds. So I was in the Ecuador and scored great weed I called "Fisherman's Arse" because it was dust and tasted like what a fisherman's arse should taste like. lol. I muled some seeds home and tried to germinate them. No. luck. at. all. 100% failure. Probably because they were stored in a bamboo hut for a few years.

I still had a few dozen seeds and after trying all the regular methods of germinating trouble seeds, without success, I decided to let my OCD take over. I have cash crop and dairy farmers in the family, a biologist, a chemist and horticulture buddy. So I pumped them all for information. A couple years, and a lot of expensive chemicals and hormones later, I was ready for my first formal tests. I had already tested several techniques to germinate normal seeds with some of the hormones I collected, killing them, arresting and restarting germination, and a few more fun experiments.

The mixing is too intense for me and it's pretty easy to put seeds to sleep or kill them, so my cook (the chemist) put it together and diluted it for me to use on seeds. Now I have 1 liter of the stuff.

Side by Side Test of 14 year old problem seeds

Without treatment
View attachment 17993473

With treatment
View attachment 17993472

With treatment 3-4 days later (I forgot about them. lol)
View attachment 17993474

Hormone Ingredients
Gibberellins (A3, GA, and GA3)​

Alpha Amylase​
Abscisic Acid​
Brassinosteroids​
Ethylene​
Cytokinins​
and Vitamins​

It has a 2 year shelf life, and now that travel is on the horizon, I may be able to use some of it on new old seeds. :)
Is there an off the shelf product that I can buy?? I have the worst luck with seeds. Most crack, then stall and die.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to testing the zapping tech.
Planting straight into aloe chunks is quite the move, hahaha

Any experience using magnets?
Two from The Seed Kompany talked a little bit about electroculture in his episode of The Pot Cast, but I don't remember him specifically mentioning germination

E6rOBJMWEAIcjFS.jpg-large.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest posts