What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating Old and Stubborn Seeds

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I want to try this under a sheet of plywood to see if the magnetic field will help seedlings. An electric blanket on low should do the trick. That said, it's the same response I'd expect from a heat mat.
Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2095685.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	18026460

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Sounds interesting, I think whats is most important is the male to female ratio and hybrid vigor of the plants. I noticed that old seed almost always yields a very large amount of males. The last old seed batch I cracked I got 16 males to 2 females out of some old White Widow seed. Plus the plants didn't have the same vigor as the OG plants when they were new seed. It would be more interesting to me to see what the sex ratio and hybrid vigor will be from the seeds you cracked in a month. 😎

From what I've read, and I certainly haven't investigated, you can increase your percentage of females by putting your seeds in a container with apple and banana peels. If this is true, it's probably because of the increase and exposure to Ethylene off gassing from the fruit. But I'm confused at how Ethylene can affect a mature seed's sex.

Blocking a plant's ability to produce Ethylene via CS or STS will force a female to produce flowers (female pollen sacks). In the wholesale food industry, Ethylene is piped into rooms to make sure bananas and avocados start ripening and at the same level of ripeness before they're shipped off to your grocery store.

It could be that females genetics are not as hardy as male genetics. That said, seeing how dioecious plants like cannabis behave to ensure genetic survival (rodelization), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the same mechanism occurs in the seed itself.

herbgreen

Veteran
Paul Stamets seed mix

"A root inoculum contains of four species of endomycorrhizal mycorrhizal fungi and seven species of ectomycorrhizal fungi. The powder comes in a particle size of less than 300 microns (#50 screen). MycoGrow Micronized Endo/Ecto Seed Mix ensures the mycorrhizal symbiont is present at germination helping seedlings access water and nutrients for vigorous early growth."

..".is most effective when applied in direct contact with plant roots and seeds, root enzymes stimulate mycorrhizal germination."

https://fungi.com/collections/mycogr...o-seed-mix-1oz

I think there is something to this fungi and the malted sprouted barley or slurry of sprouts that sprouting enzyme activity :pie:

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
I just love this new board.

There are 5 pages of reference papers at the bottom. Some might be interesting.

Seed Dormancy PDF attached.
Nice.. I love the part about the magnets. In the study, the magnet strength was measured in "Mt" with 300 the most effective so I'm wondering where I can get some in that range

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
A heat mat for seedlings will generate a slight field. As for magnets, I use large speaker magnets. The problem is knowing where the field is focused. I assume it's an inch above the edge of the inner hole. But who knows.

need4weed

Veteran
We germinated some decades old ak47 seeds from serious. Using bottled spring water and this great big neodymium fishing magnet placed about 2 inches above the seeds which were placed on a bed of cotton wall in a plastic Tupperware container with a lid on, placed on a small heating Matt with this great big magnet sat on the Tupperware lid. 9 out of 11 germed within 48 hours.
You got any pics? How were the seeds stored prior? I'm desperate to crack some old kashmiri from dr greenthumb. I've attempted it a few times to no avail

swampthing

Might try that on the snitch's SSDH seeds on the bay. I got 0 of 30 to pop.
I was wondering the viability of those were in optimum sterile conditions without plant growth regulators. Was thinking about taking a gamble on them, but had a feeling they may be kaput at this point

Dank you for sharing
Swampy

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I was able to sprout some of the Rez SSSDH that I’d had in the fridge a few seasons back. Have a pack of the BX1 as well. In addition, lots of even older seeds I’d like to crack over the next few years. Have there been anymore reports on using the SuperGerm? I’m going to be doing a test in the next month or two with a few different techs for old seeds. Considering using this SuperGerm as one of the conditions. Will post if I do.

kroon

When I travel, which was a lot before Covid, my travel hobby was collecting local seeds. So I was in the Ecuador and scored great weed I called "Fisherman's Arse" because it was dust and tasted like what a fisherman's arse should taste like. lol. I muled some seeds home and tried to germinate them. No. luck. at. all. 100% failure. Probably because they were stored in a bamboo hut for a few years.

I still had a few dozen seeds and after trying all the regular methods of germinating trouble seeds, without success, I decided to let my OCD take over. I have cash crop and dairy farmers in the family, a biologist, a chemist and horticulture buddy. So I pumped them all for information. A couple years, and a lot of expensive chemicals and hormones later, I was ready for my first formal tests. I had already tested several techniques to germinate normal seeds with some of the hormones I collected, killing them, arresting and restarting germination, and a few more fun experiments.

The mixing is too intense for me and it's pretty easy to put seeds to sleep or kill them, so my cook (the chemist) put it together and diluted it for me to use on seeds. Now I have 1 liter of the stuff.

Side by Side Test of 14 year old problem seeds

Without treatment
View attachment 17993473

With treatment
View attachment 17993472

With treatment 3-4 days later (I forgot about them. lol)
View attachment 17993474

Hormone Ingredients
Gibberellins (A3, GA, and GA3)​

Alpha Amylase​
Abscisic Acid​
Brassinosteroids​
Ethylene​
Cytokinins​
and Vitamins​

It has a 2 year shelf life, and now that travel is on the horizon, I may be able to use some of it on new old seeds. :)
Great job man!
Need to get me some, got loads of old seeds!

Latest posts

Latest posts