What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita 1700e users??

sshz

I actually bought the LED's thinking it would lower the temp in the room, and I'm actually running warmer than when I ran HPS. Muc h of the electricity savings is eaten up by having to run a dehumidifier in flowering, to control humidity. I am saving on bulbs, usually bought twice a year but the value is the even light spread with no heat spots. Every light has some advantage and disadvantage. $1300 cost for each Gavita is an initial expense for sure but I recoup it in 1 grow many times over.

sshz

So I did revisit the numbers regarding the gavita's and it's stated they last 20,000-30,000 hours, which under normal use is around 5 years on average. They are also under warranty for 5 years. I'm thinking instead of replacing them at 3 years, I'll go to 4 years and move on from there, as long as yield has not suffered. I did check again and did not see one faulty diode, so all is well. I'll put up some pic's tomorrow since it's 4 weeks finished in flowering.

Have you been starting each of these grow with seeds?
I am wondering if the first two sets of true leaves after the cotyledon will grow weaker branches - the shoots off the one blade leaf and three blade leaf - thanks

sshz

All my grows are from seed.......those starter branches always get removed when I lolipop the plants. But to answer specifically, it probably has to do with them receiving less light being far below the canopy, so they never amount to much.

sshz

Here comes the yield..........day 38 in flowering.

IMG_4572.jpg

sshz

This is Ethos “Grandpa’s Cookies”, which is Grandpa’s Stash x Girl Scout Cookies……heavy yielder, old time strains (1980’s meets GSC)………I’m guessing it leans to the indica side.

sshz

"I am trying to decide if I should top my plants again, they have only been topped once so far."

The answer depends on many things so it would be hard to guide you forward. But by the looks of things, you don't need them any bushier, you need some height now (elongation). By topping them, all you are doing is slowing their overall growth down a bit, as they recover. I never top more than once, usually around week 4 if I'm vegging 5 weeks. By the looks of things, you topped earlier than I do. Do a google search for "sshz and gavita" and 6-7 grows start to finish of mine will show up. Or "sshz and grow diary" and 20 others. Not on ICMag, but many of my diaries are start to finish in great detail.

"I am trying to decide if I should top my plants again, they have only been topped once so far."

The answer depends on many things so it would be hard to guide you forward. But by the looks of things, you don't need them any bushier, you need some height now (elongation). By topping them, all you are doing is slowing their overall growth down a bit, as they recover. I never top more than once, usually around week 4 if I'm vegging 5 weeks. By the looks of things, you topped earlier than I do. Do a google search for "sshz and gavita" and 6-7 grows start to finish of mine will show up. Or "sshz and grow diary" and 20 others. Not on ICMag, but many of my diaries are start to finish in great detail.

will I get more tops if I waited longer to top?

sshz

No, you want to top early, between week 2 and 3 and then possibly top again on the bigger branches. It really depends on the strain and your type of lights. Just wait 5-7 days after topping before placing them in flowering.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4638.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.0 KB ID:	18093452

sshz

All done, time to start up a new strain- Bubblehead by Tony’s Tortured Beans. Here’s the Grandpa’s Cookies in all her glory.

Click image for larger version  Name:	22F77FE4-A982-404F-83BB-FE1782CB568B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	107.9 KB ID:	18111609