What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita 1700e users??

sshz

Terps.....if you have any questions, I'm happy to help. Just post them here and I usually swing by every couple of days.

Regarding the Bubblehead, there is some variation in the strain I‘m seeing, and I was forced to do a late defoliation, at week 5 of flowering, since I was concerned the leaves were blocking too much light for the lower parts of the plants to grab some light. See below, this is before the defoliation but after numerous defoliations up to this point:

1655702488249.png

Last edited:

sshz

Now, I’ve defoliated this above room numerous times, and the white lite from the LED’s keeps pumping out the leaves like there’s no tomorrow. Just on this side of the room, I’ve probably removed 3 kitchen trash bags full of leaves. That’s a lot of leaves for just 12 plants, remember 12 plants on each side of the room. I keep experimenting, trying different things each grow (within reason, of course). It has become apparent to me I’m NOT removing enough leaves on my first defoliation, which happens the day I switch over to flowering.

Although I bought an Ethos strain and another strain from someone else, hoping to do one of them next time, I decided to do another Irie Seeds strain, who bred the Orange Gasm strain I had such success with, I‘m going to do something called “Afterglow”, which is another euphoric sativa Irie does so well.

The Bubblehead I’m doing now has about 4-5 weeks left, 5 if I go to 11 weeks. They are packed with resin, the odor is very strong throughout the house, even with the Phresh filter. They still have a lot of filling out to do. For those who have grown the strain already, how long did you flower for? I'm hoping not to go longer than 11 weeks………

Last edited:

Terpsnpurps

Terps.....if you have any questions, I'm happy to help. Just post them here and I usually swing by every couple of days.

Reagarding the Bubblehead, there is some variation in the strain I seeing, and I was forced to do a late defoliation, at week 5 of flowering, since I was concerned the leaves were blocking too much light for the lower parts of the plants to grab some light. See below, this is before the defoliation but after numerous defoliations up to this point:

View attachment 18724444
I've read through a couple of your logs @shzz and I have to say I'm really impressed... I'm totally struggling with the gavita.. I haven't grown indoor before.. so I'm a total noob.. but I literally have the exact same space as you just half..maybe slightly shorter... 4x4 with a gavita pro 1700e I have a master controller from trolmaster.. co2.. 2 big ass tanks... one for use while refill other etc... cloudline t6 inline fan.. ppfd meter.. and 2 solacure bulbs with timers for flower ... also I have a 2x4 smaller gorilla tent I use for propagation and seedlings with t5 lights... I'm able to keep Temps and humidity pretty much where I want... I also got a cannatrol cool cure box for curing.. figured it's 1 less thing to have to perfect .. I think that's it... nutes I have an array.. nothing was working... so considering going botanicare like you're using... but I mean I can get everything you have and still fail due to lack of experience... I had no idea what I was getting myself into.. no background in growing anything ugh.... and also thank you shzz... I would greatly appreciate any of your help.. I read a few logs of yours from thcfarmer.com .. the orangegasm... and the sweet zombie... they were close to each other in how long and detailed. Very good logging by the way!!

Last edited:

Terpsnpurps

Now, I’ve defoliated this above room numerous times, and the white lite from the LED’s keeps pumping out the leaves like there’s no tomorrow. Just on this side of the room, I’ve probably removed 3 kitchen trash bags full of leaves. That’s a lot of leaves for just 12 plants, remember 12 plants on each side of the room. I keep experimenting, trying different things each grow (within reason, of course). It has become apparent to me I’m NOT removing enough leaves on my first defoliation, which happens the day I switch over to flowering.

Although I bought an Ethos strain and another strain from someone else, hoping to do one of them next time, I decided to do another Irie Seeds strain, who bred the Orange Gasm strain I had such success with, I‘m going to do something called “Afterglow”, which is another euphoric sativa Irie does so well.

the Bubblehead I’m doing now has about 4-5 weeks left, 5 if I go to 11 weeks. They are packed with resin, the odor is very strong throughout the house, even with the Phresh filter. They still have a lot of filling out to do. For those who have grown the strain already, how long did you flower for? I'm hoping not to go longer than 11 weeks………
That afterglow sounds great man!! I love some euphoric sativa!!! I miss it!!

sshz

I’m a big believer of K.I.S.S.- keep it simple stupid. I do so little thru the grow-in terms of additives, it’s ridiculous. Just Botanicare Pure Blend Pro and Cal/Mag.I really don’t use anything else. People throw all that other stuff in there, and all it does is screw with the pH.

I grow mainly heavy yielding strains, feminized seeds, try to keep the plants fairy short and bushy, heavy defoliate thru much of the grow and normally top once a week before flower initiation.

Terpsnpurps

I’m a big believer of K.I.S.S.- keep it simple stupid. I do so little thru the grow-in terms of additives, it’s ridiculous. Just Botanicare Pure Blend Pro and Cal/Mag.I really don’t use anything else. People throw all that other stuff in there, and all it does is screw with the pH.

I grow mainly heavy yielding strains, feminized seeds, try to keep the plants fairy short and bushy, heavy defoliate thru much of the grow and normally top once a week before flower initiation.
Yeah I read that... just some pure crop1 throughout... a couple times I believe? I think I have an overwatering issue as well.. but for sure the stuff I'm using is killing me with the ph... I'm using RO water as well so the calmag struggle is real . I didn't realize you topped once a week... I suppose just enough to let it recover yes? Then top again... I saw you were at like 11 ml of calmag per gallon ... but that's botanicare... I've learned to use a nutrient calculator to help me kind of understand as I can see what goes up and down etc... if done correctly... may be just driving myself crazy .. like you said... KISS methods are the best.. I also saw how you mentioned you don't water much... like people would be surprised kind of not watering much... so any tips their? Because as I said before as a noob I definitely have the overwatering disease .. also.. is their a reason you start in large pots? Just better root growth? No slowing it down waiting for bigger pot etc? So lime is also all you use to ph basically then? Or how are you maintaining a proper ph? I'm also in promix... I'm using promix hp. I saw this stuff .. thought maybe it would be useful? Sorry for the barrage of questions !! Most likely I'll switch to botanicare... it does just seem way easier and also organic which is cool . I noticed you don't ever flush or water to a runoff etc... that's another thing that seems to hurt more than help... unless up potting or something like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220618-112956_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220618-112956_Chrome.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20220618-122657_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220618-122657_Chrome.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

sshz

No, I top once near flowering, that’s all. Just once.

Botanicare stuff is pretty good quality, flushing is generally not necessary as it doesn’t build up in soil like other stuff does. I also fertilize with each watering so I stay on the low end of ppm, going between 500 and 750.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned I have a dehumidifier in the room too, running 24/7, kept at 60% normally until late in flowering when it’s lowered to 50-55% to keep humidity down so no bud issues.

I also water less than most to keep the humidity down. When you use a really good fertilizer, there is no need to have the water drain out of the pots with each watering. I laugh when people say that since all you are really doing is wasting fertilizer.

Below is my current room of sour diesel, looks like resin production will not be an issue. I also like how diesel’s have long hairs.

P.S......back on to say the Diesels below still have 4-5 weeks to go, which makes the picture even more dramatic.

FF76C2DA-D058-4E3C-9407-A8B621E9E4B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Terpsnpurps

No, I top once near flowering, that’s all. Just once.

Botanicare stuff is pretty good quality, flushing is generally not necessary as it doesn’t build up in soil like other stuff does. I also fertilize with each watering so I stay on the low end of ppm, going between 500 and 750.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned I have a dehumidifier in the room too, running 24/7, kept at 60% normally until late in flowering when it’s lowered to 50-55% to keep humidity down so no bud issues.

I also water less than most to keep the humidity down. When you use a really good fertilizer, there is no need to have the water drain out of the pots with each watering. I laugh when people say that since all you are really doing is wasting fertilizer.

Below is my current room of sour diesel, looks like resin production will not be an issue. I also like how diesel’s have long hairs.

View attachment 18724652
Those are some long hairs!!! Long hair don't care haha! Thank you for the response... I like the sound of not needing to water to runoff.. I'm getting botanicare... I have to at this point.. it just seems like a wonderful product... I also saw you use Alaskan fish fertilizer.. do you use that much or only to bump sometimes? As far as humidity... I'm able to keep humidity where I want... from 40 percent up to 70 percent and anywhere in between.. Temps as well I'm able to keep them where I want.. in the basement my tent is right next to ac duct with a vent on it.. . huge plus!!!! Small room as well so easily controlled I have a huge dehumidifier... can get it down to 40 percent in room tent is in... outside of tent. Plus humidifiers in tent to keep it where I'm wanting.. I have ac infinity fans humidity set so when fans kick on it dries quickly if humidity gets high... with the gavita Temps usually don't make fans kick on before the humidity does lol.. but that's at lower power... I've not been able to go 100 percent yet without damage to plants. Nutrient issues and ph issues... So with reverse osmosis you don't need a ph stabilizer? Did you happen to see that stuff I put pics up of ?Just curious what your thoughts are on something like that. Also as far as topping I must have read it wrong.. I was pretty baked when reading it all 😄 But now that I think of it I remember you saying you top 1 time maybe twice on certain strains... Thanks for clarifying...

sshz

The Alaskan Fish stuff just adds a very quick nitrogen boost, I have used it in the past but rarely do these days. It’s tough on pH levels.

Gavitas, remember I always have them at 100% power. Too low and they’ll bleach or burn the plants, too high and the plants won’t produce well and/or lower buds on the plants will be under developed. About 20 inches is as close as I can go without issues developing, and only in flowering.

Topping, just once. I don’t think I’ve ever done any more than that under these LED’s.

pH stabilizer……..never used it, ever in 35+ years of growing. I have done plenty of experimenting with pH levels with the Promix. 6.3 is perfect for me, but may not be for you. You need to play around at 6.2-6.4 and watch the plants to tell you what’s best. I know people who go even lower, but it again comes down to what else is being added, which wll impact the level. Remember, normally the pH level will rise anyway which is fine as the plants like it higher than 6.3. The lime in the Promix slowly raises the level anyway.

I use reverse osmosis water since I live on what was once a peach farm, and the well water is terrible- we can use it for drinking or cooking. Just washing mainly. I also have a chlorinator and water water softener, both terrible for pot growing.

Terpsnpurps

Awesome.. 🙏 .. no I'm so close to what you have on one side... I kind of think like this... I'm new. . You have about 40ish years experience... I'm old... I need to learn fast.. so I searched and searched Google until I found someone in the world .. and it was very hard actually at 1st... that grows and has info on growing with the gavita pro 1700e.. finally I came across all your stuff and was blown away to be honest... so.. I'm hoping to maybe be mentored on it .. but also don't want to drive you nuts with barrage of questions lol... I will do my best to not make you repeat anything you've already stated and can be learned by just reading already stated things. Speaking on the 100 percent power... I feel like it's definitely the way to go... causes that momentum an led user will need.. so I'm trying to almost model my setup after yours at this point... after all I'm mostly there already and have been before I read anything you posted... I think I'm just lacking similar nutes and soil prep.. That makes alot of sense with the ph.. wanting it to rise... then it falls when fed etc... a good range of up and down going on. Which would bring me to the next point... I see why u wouldn't want to use a stabilizer now.. doesn't allow the control you seem to have.. as far as lime... how much do you add to soil? and what do you use?

Last edited:

sshz

Lime......sorry, I fucked up, I meant to say perlite, which aids in keeping the soil loose and stops it from compacting. I USED to add 3.5 cups of dolomite lime to each 3.8 cu.ft. bale of Promix but I stopped doing that a year or so ago. Theres loads of reasons why, which I’m not going to go into, safe to say there is enough lime in Promix to last a 3-4 month grow.

And regarding your age, I doubt you are older than me, I’m 66........

Terpsnpurps

Haha very true ... the age thing.. u got me beat.. but... I'm just now starting hence the desire to quickly learn as much as I can from someone like yourself.. I have much respect.. and I come here as a humble person just seeking knowledge.. not ever trying to upstage anyone or anything. Not that I could anyway... .. just want to create good medicine for myself and my wife. I agree w the perlite... it helps so much.. do you use promix hp? Or promix bx? Hp has the added perlite kind of.. curious If you add to that.. but to be clear... you have me beat by 20... they say it takes a community to raise a child... apparently the same applies to raising some good bud as well 👍 okay I found why no adding lime.. no need to go into it anyway.. it induced an mg deficiency causing leaves to taco. I'm re-reading some stuff lol

Last edited:

sshz

The Hp has “larger” perlite pieces, making it drain easier………. I buy what‘s available, normally just the Bx……… I remember years ago I used to buy a bail for $30, now it’s around $48 where I am. I’ve actually been to the Premier facility, when I was a Director of Operations for a large group of garden centers in my area. I wanted to ask some marijuana questions, but it wouldn’t have gone over good- that was in 2005.

Last winter I needed to start a grow and couldn’t find Promix anywhere, so I ordered it from Amazon for OVER $100 a bail delivered. Lol

sshz

Wanted to mention, buy the white bag, not the black. The white has the myco’s in it, which help root growth and the plants ability to uptake nutrients.

Terpsnpurps

The Hp has “larger” perlite pieces, making it drain easier………. I buy what‘s available, normally just the Bx……… I remember years ago I used to buy a bail for $30, now it’s around $48 where I am. I’ve actually been to the Premier facility, when I was a Director of Operations for a large group of garden centers in my area. I wanted to ask some marijuana questions, but it wouldn’t have gone over good- that was in 2005.

Last winter I needed to start a grow and couldn’t find Promix anywhere, so I ordered it from Amazon for OVER $100 a bail delivered. Lol
Yeah I imagine it will definitely continue to rise in price as each state legalizes... they are money hungry pigs.. the commercial industries... not to mention what they are doing to our precious marijuana strains as we know them.. shame on them for that!!! Ok so if hp then no need to add more I'm guessing? Promix where I am is 60 a bail .. ugh... buuuuut... they have it most the time lol... oh yeah I get the big ass white bail with the myccorihizae.. did I spell that right? Just imagine the looks you would have gotten at premier haha 😲

sshz

I add perlite no matter what I buy, the more the better. Promix’s big knock is it compacts too easily, so water is not absorbed and just runs down the side of the pots. If you add enough perlite, that will never happen. Remember, it’s about oxygen in the root system. As water runs thru the Promix, oxygen follows the water into the medium as it drains. I also stir my water reservoir before watering to increase oxygen in the water.

Terpsnpurps

Right on!! I have been doing the same in hopes of getting that diffused oxygen in the water... I've been using a drill and a paint stirrer ... it really gets the bubbles in their!! Good to hear that it has good reason... 👍 okay yeah I noticed when using extra in promix hp I had an easier time... without... they died faster lol... 😪 but I could tell the way the cups all stayed lighter when watering "at the time I was watering to runoff" but yeah it just seems to keep an even aeration through the entire pot. I was adding about 25 percent perlite to the entire mix

Latest posts

Latest posts