What's new

Fungus Gnat or winged aphid?

Saw this guy flying around in my tent. Is it a fungus gnat? I have 6 2 gallon pots in my tent. Out of those 6 pots I only found 2 little black bugs crawling on the coco after i ran my finger thru the coco. They flew out of the pots when i did that. Looked like fungus gnats to me but I'm no expert. I was going to flip to 12/12 tonight but having found that in the tent should I treat the coco with anything?

Attachments

• bug2.jpeg
    bug2.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 21
  • bug1.jpeg
    bug1.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 21

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The lines coming from the head and ass are deceiving. Ignore those and it could be a flying ant or termite.

I noticed a couple other critters wtf lol can anyone identify any of the above. I keep my room spotless so it's kinda crazy to me to find damn bugs. These were not in the grow tent but in the room that the tent is in.

Haha ganna go to war with these fuckers! Besides the gnats I think I might have figured out what I have. Springtales. The first picture is off google of a white springtale. The next two pictures are of what I believe are springtales found in my coco. W/O the camera flash the bugs in my coco look white in color: In the second picture below I actually captured the tail leading me to believe they are springtales. Lemme know what you guys think. Been researching all night lol.

spring3.jpg
spring2.jpeg
spring.jpeg

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have springtails also, and they don't seem to be any trouble. Purecrop1 doesn't seem to kill them. Little killer red mites may be the ticket, as when I got some worms with those in them, and incorporated them into my plant's soil, the number reduced.

There is a pic somewhere in the pile they call a gallery now.

Really appreciate all the advice. I decided to top dress all the pots with crushed mosquito dunks and picked up a bottle of microbe life bmc that I will be watering with every water. The wife also came up with a brilliant solution. We had some 3 gallon smart pots sitting around, decided to cut out the bottoms out, made a slit to the center and came up with a smart pot top. No way in or out. Check it out:
gnat control.jpeg

buzzmobile

Veteran
I agree with troutman 's call on the parasitic wasp. The rest are springtails. and they are not a plant pest. They can become a nuisance if the population explodes.

**Update**
I'm finding these goldish balls on every plant. Mostly on leaf stems. What are these? They basically just crumble when i remove them off the plant. They are not sticky. I've looked for hours for bugs on my plants can't find any crawling on leaves. I've been watering w/ microbe lift and did top dress w/ crushed dunks not sure if that's related to this. New growth on most of my plants is looking twisted and just not so good. I'm stumped. I went through each pot about 1.5 inches deep and didn't see any more fungus gnats, I didn't see any more springtails either. I didn't see anybugs. Should I pull a plant out of its smartpot and examine the bottom roots for bugs? Are these even bug related Thanks dudes!
goldish balls.jpg

Attachments

• photo2041345.jpg
    photo2041345.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
  • goldish balls.jpg
    goldish balls.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 21
  • goldish balls.jpg
    goldish balls.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 20
Here it is on the tip of my finger and when squished it just crumbles. It's not sticky I was thinking honeydew from aphids or some insect but it's not sticky.

Attachments

• golden balls.jpg
    golden balls.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 20
  • cumbled balls.jpg
    cumbled balls.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 18