What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

From a different perspective. LED vs HID

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
haha good luck guys its on...mayb we should have a friendly poll between u two? This is gona be some fun :)

Tropical Rain

Haze, Kush & Grey Goose
Veteran
From a different perspective. LED vs HID

Outside of cost,

Watt for watt is there any negative about LED?

+ Low Heat
+ No degradation of bulbs.

I'm starting to think more along the lines of if the performance is as well or exceeds a comparable HID light it is a win, win.

(Outside of cost remember?)

So if a 126w out-performs a 250w HPS, that is a win.
If you yield the same high quality end product, and amount then it is a win as well as being at half the actual amount of watts needed for an hid.

That there is golden within itself.

I think if that is truly the case then need not look at anything else except to getting manufacturing costs down, so the end user price is less.

my .02

Thanks,

TR

:abduct:

A

ak-51

This is pretty much how I've been thinking lately.

I could take the claims that pretty much all manufacturers make about which of their LED lights in comparable to how big of a HPS, but their claims are seeming less and less important to me as a potential buyer.

If ~400 watts of LED is as efficient or more efficient than my current 400w HPS, then it's kind of already a win. A few things factor into this: 1. My HPS isn't really just 400w, its consumes a bit more, maybe 410w-420w 2. I also run an inline fan that is ~200 watts also. 3. I still have to deal with excess heat sporadically. So all in all my light setup probably consumes an average of 650-700 watts (my AC doesn't run all of the time)

I'll probably be making the switch. I was considering upgrading to a 1000w HPS before, but it pains me to think of how much more heat I would have to deal with. So in the end it doesn't much matter to me what the claimed HPS equivalent is, if it is watt for watt equal then I think I'll live, I'll just consider that I'm paying the extra money for long-life and considerably less heat; that way however much I yield over my old setup will be a bonus.

D

dongle69

The part that makes it difficult for me is the amount of fixtures needed and the small light footprint.
My plant canopy of about 8x12 would require 24+ led fixtures.
I like the technology but I'm in no mood to be maneuvering 24+ light fixtures around my plants.
Maybe someday they will make some large fixtures to cut the crazy numbers down.

zenoonez

Veteran
The part that makes it difficult for me is the amount of fixtures needed and the small light footprint.
I like the technology but I'm in no mood to be maneuvering 24+ light fixtures around my plants.

I think she said that they would be making custom lights at some point.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I just got mine out of the box and the damn thing is almost silent when turned on and very different in light spectrum compared to past lights I've used.

new_light_1.jpg

Let The Fun Begin and TY to Tropical Rain for the civility.

I just hung it and the pattern is much smaller but as stated earlier the pattern is like nothing I have ever seen and for you folks needing stealth the first thing that grabbed my attention is the ability to hide the light. BUT isn't there always a but? Like dongle and Tropic Rain it's gonna take a few of these to fill my room and the cost is high BUT lol a few years back Kokua (damn I miss him) did a seed to harvest grow with a Satellite 2 floro bulb that was AMAZING and they say it is equivalent to a 250 watt HPS. So if this thing is close to a 400 OMG I might have the most amazing Veg bulb EVER (in my situation) or I can get 10 of the big boys and be done with it.?

Guy's I'm excited about this thing,it puts out NO HEAT NUN NOTTA and if it's even close to a 400 and last for 6-10 years fug man make'em bigger :)

Time will tell Sleepy and I are gonna have a little grow off with the same beans and see what happens. REST UP SLEEPY :) I see you couldn't wait either and thank you again to Tropic Rain for a civil thread.

Mr.Wags

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy

Veteran
kudos to Tropica Rain!!

i know i'm gonna take a whooppin' from mrwags, but its all in good fun...

we will see exactly what we can do, no BS, and the data and test will show us all the light. (in LED, of course).

i'm ready to strap in, wags...just need the seeds to show you up...hehehe

She also said that it made the buds grow considerably denser. To my mind this means your 8x12 canopy would necessarily be reduced by using LEDs, but that within that reduction of space there would be an increase in density. I imagine you would still need a considerable amount of light for your number of plants, but maybe not as much as you think. When you can give that kind of light to your plant, it would explain why she's claiming 1 lb plants that many say are impossible given her small square footage...

Am I understanding you correctly that you are running 1512watts of leds (the equiv of 4800w hid) in a 5'x6' area?
Yup. Gotta love it! Funny thing is, I'm only supplying about half the micromoles per square meter that would cause marijuana to reach the saturation point, meaning you could pack even more wattage into that area if you really wanted to! In another month or so, I may do just that with some side 63W units ;) Maybe get up to 2kw LED?

Tropical Rain

Haze, Kush & Grey Goose
Veteran
You are very much welcome!
If 126w LED outperforms or achieves an/as 250w HPS then the LED is already an success.
The price simply is the only thing that is giving doubts.
When LED is down to HID prices the nay-sayers will be void if the afore-mention holds true.

(if nobody takes it upon themselves to do the 126w vs 250w shootout then I bet I know of some who will)

Thanks,

TR

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
So is the 630 1 watt , the same ones Ledgirl uses?
Ledgirl if your around can you chime in are they the same or are yours even better ?

U

uncle_shorty

Guy's I'm excited about this thing,it puts out NO HEAT NUN NOTTA and if it's even close to a 400 and last for 6-10 years fug man make'em bigger :)

stomata on plant leaves are wide open at 85 deg so Ive always found co2 to work best at higher temps equal or greater than 85 deg...so that would be a prob if these things make 0 heat, to me at least...

LEDGirl

Veteran
They don't make zero heat, the light itself simply doesn't carry a whole lot. HID's operate at 450-650 degrees F, while our LED's operate at 105 degrees. We added IR to give the plants the necessary heat they need for development, and in my own room, the temp never falls below 80 when the lights are on. What I've heard back from most customers, is that it keeps their space at a very nice 80-85 degrees.

U

uncle_shorty

LEDGirl-

If these do end up being as good as Hid, which Im not convinced of, yet to see any macros of trichomes or calyxs...

I was thinking if you really wanna move some units..

target the Cali cash cropper demographic...

They gotta keep those dispensaries stocked ya know...

Most only use 4x8 tables...

Id love to see a panel tailored to 4x4 comparable to about 1500w HID.

Or maybe a 3 point panel comparable to 3000w HID to span the whole 4x8

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran

fhspolo16

I got this from the Hydro Grow website "Our Penetrator grow lights include 440nm, 470nm, 640nm, 660nm, white and infra-red LED’s" "Peak absorption points for Chlorophyll A occur at 439nm and 667nm, while they occur at 469nm and 642nm for Chlorophyll B." Not sure where LEDGirl posted this but her explanation for why they use 640nm is it is closer to the peak absorption point and for why other companies use 630nm is because they are a cheaper LED.

WarBux

They don't make zero heat, the light itself simply doesn't carry a whole lot. HID's operate at 450-650 degrees F, while our LED's operate at 105 degrees. We added IR to give the plants the necessary heat they need for development, and in my own room, the temp never falls below 80 when the lights are on. What I've heard back from most customers, is that it keeps their space at a very nice 80-85 degrees.

I am only using 1 light currently but its in a small 2x2 area and with a small dehumidifier I never need to vent the area out anymore. It never gets over 85 in there. Its great not having those loud fans going all the time.

M

MerryPrankstr

Hi, I'm an new member from Can.com, who has been growing since the mid 60's and lately with LEDs for the last year. I have used various setups ranging from 125 to 335 watts per lamp successfully. Some of these were documented in growlogs under the same username if anyne would like to check them out. None of them have used this particular brand of lamp, but the technology itself is practical and works.

My latest grow was a 4x4x6 grow tent with a 335 watt mult-band emitter arrangement and DWC and coco coir.

I grew 1 each Kandy Kush, Blueberry x hashplant, G-13 x haze and laughing buddha. The KK and BBxHP have already been harvested and have yeilded 4 full quart mason jars of manicured buds, with the G13xH and LB still flowering.
Here is a picture of the KK at week 7 IIRC (LOL)
!!Grow 11-1-9 2.jpg

As long as the LedGirls lamps are properly engineered and constructed ( and I have no reason to dispute that, just to be clear) there should be no reason to expect anything less than the results I show with my enclosed picture.

The future is already now...
Grow green, grow LED !
Merry Prankstr

Latest posts

Latest posts