What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fresh frozen or dried first, 99% iso extract? Rinse with water?

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Hi,

In the past 99% cold iso extract (Skunk Pharm Research QWISO) has worked well with a couple notes. Dried ground bud with the smallest amount of isopropanol possible, maybe equal parts by volume has produced a nice product. More than that, or using leaves/shake, simply does not work there is noticeable residue iso in my experience.

With high quality flower QWISO is it possible to dissolve the concentrate and wash or rinse it with water? Similar to ethanol for pentane extraction?

Solventless may be the only real way to go. Keeping things simple, raising the temperature and "boiling off" any terpenes around/below the boiling point of alcohol is the only way to get rid of solvent residue. I'd like to try a small batch using HPLC grade pentane and ethanol wash, maybe have it tested. Way more work than iso and a small fan.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi,

In the past 99% cold iso extract (Skunk Pharm Research QWISO) has worked well with a couple notes. Dried ground bud with the smallest amount of isopropanol possible, maybe equal parts by volume has produced a nice product. More than that, or using leaves/shake, simply does not work there is noticeable residue iso in my experience.

With high quality flower QWISO is it possible to dissolve the concentrate and wash or rinse it with water? Similar to ethanol for pentane extraction?

Solventless may be the only real way to go. Keeping things simple, raising the temperature and "boiling off" any terpenes around/below the boiling point of alcohol is the only way to get rid of solvent residue. I'd like to try a small batch using HPLC grade pentane and ethanol wash, maybe have it tested. Way more work than iso and a small fan.

Yes, you can do a water wash, with iso, recovering with a non polar solvent like Pentane.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Remember, for those of us without lab equipment and experience, make sure you stick with ethanol. (That means myself and most of the readers here. lol)

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
child proof lighter

child proof lighter

31Fncvd.jpg

9srTD5j.jpg

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Gray Wolf thank you for responding,

One way I thought of is to redissolve the air dried extract in a small amount of isopropanol, then add distilled water, and let it air dry again or use a heating plate + fan.

What do you mean by recovering with pentane? If I dissolve the extract in isopropanol then add pentane, will the polar liquid (pentane, top layer, as in oil and water do not mix) retrieve or contain the cannabinoids?

Preserving the whole plant "essence" or lower temperature terps is a concern, although boiling off hydrocarbons is more of a concern.

How about fresh frozen material for QWISO extraction? Am I better off to dry all of the water out of harvested flowers first? A small test may help, better safe than sorry.