What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freakshow (fern leaf strain) by shapeshifter/humboldt seed company

laszlokovacs

Woah! Theyre looking great! Colors on that last post are dope and the frost on those leaves is impressive. You make me wanna throw mine outside into their forever homes. You gotta update us when you finally smoke it- but so far color me very impressed. I would hope/think the smoke is very pleasant. For whatever it's worth- I recently found out that Freakshow is a cross of two 'normal' cannabis plants with the father being a holy banana. These leaves have slightly different tooth shape but share the classic 'fingers' of a cannabis plant as does the mother I believe. All this to say that from what I understand the parents have decent genetics and the freakshow leaf shape doesnt seem to be a random mutation so much as a combination of the parent leaf shapes. Im guessing/hoping this would suggest the smoke is quality.

Edit: I remember the lineage now. Freakshow is Male Holy Banana X Female Pineapple Express

Last edited:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I still haven't chopped these...soon though.

PXL_20220602_125557710.jpg
PXL_20220602_125832096.MP.jpg

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Very easy to trim. Now, I'm still not sure what the genetics are here, but I have a strong suspicion. I think I read somewhere that this plant is part sativa...I really doubt it. I think it's a mutant Peyote Purple or something along those lines. It has a very musty and earthy aroma that really reminded me of Peyote Purple, or crosses made with that plant. Plus the trichome coverage is very reminiscent of those hash plants. So that's my best guess. :)

goingrey

Very easy to trim. Now, I'm still not sure what the genetics are here, but I have a strong suspicion. I think I read somewhere that this plant is part sativa...I really doubt it. I think it's a mutant Peyote Purple or something along those lines. It has a very musty and earthy aroma that really reminded me of Peyote Purple, or crosses made with that plant. Plus the trichome coverage is very reminiscent of those hash plants. So that's my best guess. :)

How is the yield?

laszlokovacs

I edited my earlier post but I was told by the son of the breeder (shapeshifter) that freakshow is Male Holy Banana X Female Pineapple express. His son is also a breeder and I think his seed company is called Canna Research Co. Funny you mention its hashplant qualities because shapeshifters son has said it makes/yields decent hash so your probably correct in that regard.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Ok thanks Laszlo, yeah, maybe I read that somewhere a long while back. But you know, those names are almost meaningless to me. This is what I find so frustrating with cannabis. What are those two strains comprised of, because you know they all go back to the landraces at some point...this constant polyhybrid mixing and names that don't map down to anything specific drives me nuts. :D

Going grey, well this first plant was very small. And as I mentioned, it really had a hashplant type habit, so very little stretch, even though I gave it a fairly large pot to live in. So, the herb is drying and it looks like maybe an ounce off this small plant. I would say it's a medium yielder. Will be fun to see how it smokes, which I will sample in a day or two.

goingrey

Ok thanks Laszlo, yeah, maybe I read that somewhere a long while back. But you know, those names are almost meaningless to me. This is what I find so frustrating with cannabis. What are those two strains comprised of, because you know they all go back to the landraces at some point...this constant polyhybrid mixing and names that don't map down to anything specific drives me nuts. :D

Going grey, well this first plant was very small. And as I mentioned, it really had a hashplant type habit, so very little stretch, even though I gave it a fairly large pot to live in. So, the herb is drying and it looks like maybe an ounce off this small plant. I would say it's a medium yielder. Will be fun to see how it smokes, which I will sample in a day or two.

A smaller medium yielding plant is not so bad for the stealthy grows. Very interested to hear how she smokes please report back. Looks really good at least.

OntologicalTurn

I have some in-fern-ho seeds (who chooses these names?) from nomad seed bank it's supposed to be a cross between freakshow x durban sensi, I plan to try next season

VerDGato

someone growing kwikseeds freakshow?
It usually looks like it's going to have problems with moisture. this genetic.
I would like to find the thinnest leaf pheno seems to be the most sativa and its correct leaf shape to play with sativas and polyhybrids, so do you recommend the Humboldt seed company Freakshow package or on the other hand berryfreak

RobFromTX

As a big fan of weed and ferns alike i cant help but be fascinated by this strain. Has anyone grown out the RSC version yet?

midwestkid

Veteran
420giveaway
Here's what pisses me off about the name game....what the hell is this plant really? Is it a sativa, an indica? Where did the parents come from? I'm guessing Indian Landrace origins, but who knows right? At least Freakshow is better than CookieFruitPurpMeister but only marginally.
i like to look at seedfinder.eu.
that site lays out the family tree for most all cannabis varieties.