What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Found old seeds: "GD London 1972"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

recent guest

I dont fault you for having a dissenting opinion. If it were not for dissidents, cannabis might be an extinct species. Everyone on here is a dissident at some level, I know I am, and damn proud of it.

So theres that, that was from earlier in the thread. Again, research is suggested before you comment.

R

recent guest

Also, AGAIN with this dude, but READ the thread before you comment. I never called you a troll, contributory members of the thread called you a troll.

Husky Jackal

Very Neat Monster
Veteran
Hi man, very nice thread ! Can't wait to see those beauties in flower...
Can you tell me how were those seeds kept so well for so many years ? It's amazing that they still popped...
Good luck in your journey and please make some seeds !
Peace, HJ.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Been following this thread since the beginning, and just wanted to say that I'm looking forward in seeing at what your 72 GD gives you. She's looking like an old school sativa for sure! Great thread so far, B.R.!

R

recent guest

So, this thread is a bit controversial, not really, but enough skepticism to warrant a bit of self defense:

Aside from what you may or may not think my motives are, the facts are these: I have as much idea about the origin of these seeds as anyone else reading this thread. As far as I know, they were a gift to my grandfather from a friend of a friend of a friend. I was not aware that he was in attendance at any Dead concerts in the 70's, but hes not around so I cant ask him. All I know is that I found a bag with seeds in it and I am going to grow them. Its so much more valuable to me personally to propagate obscure genetics and add to the communal gene pool than to profit or get respect. Theres no reason that the premise of this thread should warrant respect for me anyway. Any of you would have done the exact same thing. I found some weed seeds. Im growing them.

As far as germinating an old seed goes, 40 years is NOTHING for a seed, so long as it resides for those 40 years in the proper conditions. Those conditions are not uniform across angiosperm species or even sub-species. Evolutionary 'law' (as I call it) dictates that if a seed germinates in the wrong conditions, ie mid winter or during a serious drought cycle, it will likely die and not pass on its genetic material. So, seeds often wait, and often wait for a long time. They dont have a clock, so if the conditions stay the same, and as long as the seed is not decomposing (a process that requires moisture) then a seed is perfectly content to just sit around theoretically forever. Forever would require absolutely perfect conditions across the board, but I am reading about seed bank and seed vault technology, and there are people whos life's work is to study and create perfect seed storage conditions (including things like Oxygen/CO2 vacum storage, freezing techniques, etc.) The fact is that it is very possible that the survival of mankind may very well depend upon research like this. Remember, everything you eat depends to some degree upon seeds!

Now, the conditions in my Grandfather's house are not anywhere near perfect conditions, but as far as I can tell, these seeds were stored with little to no humidity because they were stored with hundreds upon hundreds of loose leaves of paper. If you have ever had bud that is a bit too wet to smoke, you know that if you put a bit of paper in the jar with it, it will help to desiccate it. So thats my THEORY. Its just a hypothesis, but basically the paper helped keep the humidity down, the temperature stayed pretty constant, never freezing and never going above probably 75F, and no invasive microorganisms penetrated the seed coat or damaged it. All told though, is this pretty damn lucky? You bet your breakfast it is, but that fact shouldn't elicit suspicion, it should elicit excitement, because this is lucky for ALL of us, not just me.

Do any of us REALLY know the origin of these seeds? No, none of us do, but thats even cooler IMO.

The Dead gig, again, is a generally accepted THEORY. Where did we all get this preposterous hypothesis? Evidence.

Hi man, very nice thread ! Can't wait to see those beauties in flower...
Can you tell me how were those seeds kept so well for so many years ? It's amazing that they still popped...
Good luck in your journey and please make some seeds !
Peace, HJ.

Thanks a lot Husky. Here are some books I've read that I think have helped me understand the situation a little better. There are a ton more I could recommend but I can only post a couple at a time. We should create a 'Recommended Reading' thread?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

And for certain 'pollyposters':
picture.php

cravin morehead

Veteran
hey BR, good post ^^^^. seems lately around here that everyone wants to argue. they even argue things i didn't think were arguable...reading comprehension is not too prevelant around here lately either....
been watching this thread. it has made me go through a bunch of old stuff looking for seeds. i've found about 50 or so. so far i'm 0 for 12 on sprouting. hopefully i'll get some to pop. most of my seeds are just bag-seed keepers from early 80's-late 90's. if i saved the seeds, the smoke must have had something i was interested in. man, i miss old-school smoke. most of the modern varities lack anything original in the stone dept. for me.
good work, looking forward to watching you finish these out and get a smoke report.

keep it up,

cm

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I have that Seed to Seed book, also.
Nice lookin Sativa of Unknown Origin. Does look Colombian to me.
Good Luck, and don't forget to cross it and make some more seeds!

sal opette

ICMag Donor
Lovely looking plant whatever the story!

It could be Colombian looks like some ACE Panamas I've seen (basically lumbo genes) I'm not a sativa expert bit i think it could be African.

Way back then I think most herb available in the uk was from Africa, there was some Asia, West Indian, central/ southern American. We have US bases here so there is always a chance your boys stationed here had their own routes ;-) and a Dead gig would be a good place for good smoke - as ever :)

there was a huge amount of sea cargo from all around the world then, so as as far as the origin of these seeds goes "the world is your oyster".

Great thread, thanks

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
really cool thread bro, and great album ;-)

pay no attention to the trolls brother, those who matter tend to lurk more these days as arguing increases and IQ decreases :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
hey BR, good post ^^^^. seems lately around here that everyone wants to argue. they even argue things i didn't think were arguable...reading comprehension is not too prevelant around here lately either....
been watching this thread. it has made me go through a bunch of old stuff looking for seeds. i've found about 50 or so. so far i'm 0 for 12 on sprouting. hopefully i'll get some to pop. most of my seeds are just bag-seed keepers from early 80's-late 90's. if i saved the seeds, the smoke must have had something i was interested in. man, i miss old-school smoke. most of the modern varities lack anything original in the stone dept. for me.
good work, looking forward to watching you finish these out and get a smoke report.

keep it up,

cm

yea, this site seems more argumentative than before. agree on the reading comprehension as well.

can't we all just get a :bongsmi:

R

recent guest

So does anyone know when Chocolate Thai came around in the US? Im thinking late 80's/early 90's since B.I.G. mentions it in a verse

just wishing...

this girl has started to smell a little bit spicier/fruitier...she's still very earthy but its got a much sweeter scent now...its appealing.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Thats the way legends are created. Take a limited batch of seeds, hide their genetics and create a mystical story around it, that suggest quality and supercoolness. And then make seeds and sell them.

This kind of story was introduced with C99 and the Chemdawg and it worked because the strains where good. But who tells us, that Mr. GD 1972 is not just a clever guy who learned to use this cultural narrative as some kind of marketing?

I mean isn´t that story a little too perfect? Seeds from 1972. Still germinating. Hello? Even the detail with the Grateful Dead is in it, which worked super with the legend around ChemDawg. And wait: From how many seeds the Chemdawg was created? Where it 6?

Make it rare and tell a good story. Thats what luxury-marketing is about...

Its all about perspective . Yes a cynical mind could spin it that way .
If you took the time to read and absorb the thread a much more positive and innocent tale might unfold .
To ridicule this man because he says he`s germing 40 yr old seeds .
Which you insinuate can`t be done .Not even . With all the resources of this community and the search engine known as google .
Brings to mind that old saying better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ...

EB .

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bear Riot, This thread is BOMB!!! You have good energy and it shows in your plants. Keep spreading the love and knowledge. I appreciate your thread, its a real treat to enjoy something like this with some one else!

What are your plans moving forward with GD72? Are you going to re-pot again? Whens flower? And bad ass soil man, plants showing that off too!

I'll be following this thread with anticipation!

Good vibes

-LC

Dirt Life

Veteran
As far as I am concerned, I am not going to let this happen.
Enough smart so-called breeders building reputation on dishonest legends. Leave storytelling alone and do proper business.

As a businessman myself, I've chosen quality and i will do my best to unmask wise-as**d kids who want to make money fast, and who keep faking it till they make it.

What I noticed is that from post #142 on, B.R. has pretty much had to deal with people who mainly have a problem with the story. It's been stated, some don't believe it... now, its time to move on IMHO... let the plant speak for itself in time.

:)

R

recent guest

You dont have to believe the story to appreciate how cool this plant is. Plus, who actually cares where a seed came from when youre lighting up a smoke?

Also, yeah, theres a lot of shilling in this business and I'm really not a fan of the marketing that goes along with it because the truth is that most of it is misleading bullhonky. Most of the newer guys on, say, attitude seem like they are just picking up old standby strains from vendors like sensi seeds or other Dutch gear and playing around with it for a bit, then giving it a ridiculous name and selling it.

There are so many strains named "Kush X" or "X Kush". Well, Im assuming the breeders most likely started with a Kush and bred it to something else to get, say, some stuff I picked up in Cali a while back that was called "Lemon Drop Kush". Ok, so how many of those breeders actually BACKPACKED into the Hindu Kush mountains and found native seeds to breed with? They all jack genetics like it aint no thang.

So pollypak, I hear you loud and clear as well. That shit sucks and its dishonest. But you should go harass the guys who are ACTUALLY trying to make a fast buck with it and who are doing it right now.

Its amazing that this plant grew, but the odds of it being special or even a keeper are very low! Why dont we hold off on the critical sleuthing of the story until I start actually trying to profit? (so forever)

R

recent guest

Im not particularly enthused about the tone that this thread has taken on. I dont want to keep it going if my credibility is going to be constantly under attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.