What's new

Food Bank Benefits From Joint Venture With Pot Club

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's an excellent example of a California Pot Club thinking "outside the box" to strengthen ties with the community and build acceptance of cannabis as medicine-

WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- A medical marijuana dispensary in Soquel helped Watsonville’s Second Harvest Food Bank meet the high demand this holiday season by offering a complimentary pre-rolled joint for every four cans of food donated by patients.

It was an unusual joint venture -- trading food for marijuana -- but organizers said they rolled in the donations because of the deal.

From November through Christmas Eve, medical marijuana patients at Granny Purps in Soquel got a complimentary marijuana joint for every four cans of food they donated to Second Harvest. There was a limit of three complimentary joints per day for each patient.

One patient who gave her name as Melody talked about participating in the drive. She thought it was a great idea.

"It's helped people who are hungry and it's helped people like me that need medication," said Melody. " I have this happy little band [shows her arm band] and it's because I've had surgery from cancer."

Granny Purps has taken in around 11,000 pounds of food while handing out about 2,000 joints since the food drive started.

The dispensary owner said she was not surprised by the response.

"Everybody that works here, everybody that comes in here, we're all interested in helping people and making people better," said Granny Purps proprietor, who wanted to remain nameless. "So a food drive goes right along with that."

Granny Purps' representatives said offering incentives is not much different in principle from what many more traditional businesses do to stimulate donations.

Danny Keith of Second Harvest said the effort was greatly appreciated.

"Some of our bigger contributors have been struggling to make their goals," said Keith. "These smaller events where stores are raising 10,12, 15,000 pounds of food are really beginning to be a major contributor to our coffers."

Second Harvest provides food for about 50,000 people every month.

The food bank said it has not gotten any negative reactions regarding the drive run by the dispensary. With help from businesses such as Granny Purps, Second Harvest expects to meet its goal of collecting more than two million pounds of food during the holiday season.<!--stopindex--> :dance013:

As reported by Daryl Huff, KITV 4 News.

Yeah this was great! Can you believe there where assholes that said this was "Bad"? What The Fuck is wrong with people? Yeah, let the starving people die because pot is bad.....More logic.

yep i participated

That's awesome man.. Good for you... What strain did they roll their J's with? Fuck the weed, That's just a bonus to get people there, teh giving of the food around the Holidaze is what counts. Nice man.

I saw this on CNN the other day, and people where writing in to teh show via Facebook(FAIL) saying this is bad and blah blah blah... Fucking assholes.

1 pound of food will feed about 3 people.... so 2 million pounds, that's 6 million meals for folks that are hungry...HOW THE FUCK IS THAT BAD?! I say, I say How the fuck is that bad.....Somebody, anybody please tell me whats happening.

GoozMan

Nice to see positive pot stories making the news. And yeah, you've gotta have your priorities pretty mixed up to find fault with this. Kudos to Granny Purps for putting philanthropy before profit. Corporate America could take a lesson here.

Delta.9

Im glad i could participate, its always nice to see a local place doing some good for the community.

peace

∆9

They should continue to run this. I mean its similar to having deals at grocery stores. Drop off three cans of food get a free joint, then pick up a quarter as long as your in the area. Everytime an IGA sells soda for real cheap and I go to the store to stock up, I NEVER walk out with just soda.

justalilrowdy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We do a food bank for our patients every winter. The food is donated from other generous members. Its a life saver for some.

supermanlives

Veteran
no more greenbeans ,creamed corn and pumpkin filling . give something people actually want not what left at the back of your cabinet