What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, Deep Chunk open pollination

greencalyx

Premium user
Ok, here's how things look at week 7. I have removed some of the really dry leaves after I took these pics. I left the discolored leaves on just in case. From what I understand, if they are discolored due to a deficiency, it is better to leave them on until you are sure the deficiency is sorted out, or they will start pulling nutrients from the normal colored leaves.

Looks like there is a bit of leaf clawing. Maybe should back off a bit with feed next time.

20230315_201609.jpg 20230315_201622.jpg 20230315_201632.jpg

Last edited:

greencalyx

Premium user
Thanks for the tip! I may give that a try sometime.

Here's a closer look at what I was talking about with the leaves. The very tip of them are curled downward.

20230317_152140.jpg

revegeta666

@greencalyx how are things going mate, I have been "away" from the forum for a few weeks. Magnesium deficiency still causing headaches? The leaf tips curling in a claw shape is usually a symptom of nitrogen excess, but random symptoms like this can appear when there's problems in the roots like in this case it looks to me they are still being overwatered.

greencalyx

Premium user
@greencalyx how are things going mate, I have been "away" from the forum for a few weeks. Magnesium deficiency still causing headaches? The leaf tips curling in a claw shape is usually a symptom of nitrogen excess, but random symptoms like this can appear when there's problems in the roots like in this case it looks to me they are still being overwatered.

Yes, still seeing mag deficiency, maybe a bit of N deficiency in a alot of plants. They look like this currently:
20230326_203813.jpg

Plus some that are showing some other problem like this, not quite sure about it
20230326_203912.jpg 20230326_203838.jpg 20230326_203848.jpg

I've been watering a couple times a week, feeding every other water with half strength 6-4-4 food. I just used a 1-0-0 cal mag for the first time with the last watering, a couple days ago.

What's your temp at? LEDs often don't heat things up enough. Ideally no part of the plant, bottom to top, should be lower than 75f.

Temps peak at about 78 and get as low as 66 at night. Average during the day is about 74f.

Maybe I'll swap my cool mist for the warm mist I have, and maybe get the temp up a bit more.

revegeta666

It all looks like the same problem to me. With a mg deficiency, because it's a mobile nutrient, the lower leaves are first to be affected like in a nitrogen deficiency. The next step is the leaves get burned and curled like in your pictures. I would give them Calmag in every watering depending on how hard is the water (you are mixing tap with RO I think?). Most Calmag products are also apt for ffoliar feeding, which is faster for correcting deficiencies.

Also just in case, how much are you wearing each time? Overwatering can come from excess frequency but also excess quantity.

Redrum92

Yes, still seeing mag deficiency, maybe a bit of N deficiency in a alot of plants. They look like this currently:
View attachment 18823832

Plus some that are showing some other problem like this, not quite sure about it
View attachment 18823833 View attachment 18823834 View attachment 18823835

I've been watering a couple times a week, feeding every other water with half strength 6-4-4 food. I just used a 1-0-0 cal mag for the first time with the last watering, a couple days ago.

Temps peak at about 78 and get as low as 66 at night. Average during the day is about 74f.

Maybe I'll swap my cool mist for the warm mist I have, and maybe get the temp up a bit more.

Yeah 66f is definitely on the low side. 70f is my personal absolute bare minimum, whereas 73-75f is more my preferred minimum (for soil, room, leaves/buds, everything- if your ambient room temp is 66f the soil could be as cool as 63). With LED, day temps at ~83-85f and night temps are ~73-75. Wouldn't hurt to be a little higher, tbh.

All it takes is a little cold, or too dense soil, or too wet soil, and the nutrients become unavailable to the plant, no matter how good the soil is. Always rule out non-nutrient factors (temp, light quality/volume, watering habits, pests/infection, soil quality/density/pH/EC) before adding nutrients, or you will add more than can be removed, and will ruin both the soil and the plant irreparably.

Also, generally changing environmental factors will show improvement within a day or two, whereas adding nutrients can leave you with 1-4 weeks in limbo before you even know if it worked or you just poisoned the soil

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah thats what I thought, it looks kind of like nitrogen deficiency. Keep the water going, watering helps mobilize nitrogen for plant use. Top dress with compost or some type of quick release N source. Guano would work well.

Are they going to be transplanted again? What size container are they in?

There is a sick plants thread be sure to go there to ask for help if necessary. Its always good to have more experience to draw from. Hope you get it figured out!

I just planted the Deep Chunk IBL from CSI yesterday! Those are some short and thick indicas!

greencalyx

Premium user
It all looks like the same problem to me. With a mg deficiency, because it's a mobile nutrient, the lower leaves are first to be affected like in a nitrogen deficiency. The next step is the leaves get burned and curled like in your pictures. I would give them Calmag in every watering depending on how hard is the water (you are mixing tap with RO I think?). Most Calmag products are also apt for ffoliar feeding, which is faster for correcting deficiencies.

Also just in case, how much are you wearing each time? Overwatering can come from excess frequency but also excess quantity.

I'll definitely be giving more calmag. Of course I still have to be cautious not to over do it. I don't want too much calcium. Would foliar feeding cause a nute lockout? Or does that just happen in the soil?

I have been using just straight tap water recently for watering and feeding. I don't have an RO system, but I do have a distiller that I use to fill my cool mist. Takes about 4hours and 30 cents worth of electricity to make a gallon.

I completely forgot about the thought that my tap may have too much calcium and may cause lockout. Not sure why I stopped diluting, other than convenience, i suppose. I will try to go back to that.

About watering, each plant gets 2-3 coffee mugs full, until runoff. Doesn't seem like much to me, and I have been thinking maybe I have some really hydrophilic dry spots in the pots that the water just flows around, rather than going through and rehydrating it? Not sure. Then it's 2-3days before they get watered again. I check the moisture 2-3inches down to determine when to water again.

greencalyx

Premium user
Yeah thats what I thought, it looks kind of like nitrogen deficiency. Keep the water going, watering helps mobilize nitrogen for plant use. Top dress with compost or some type of quick release N source. Guano would work well.

Are they going to be transplanted again? What size container are they in?

There is a sick plants thread be sure to go there to ask for help if necessary. Its always good to have more experience to draw from. Hope you get it figured out!

I just planted the Deep Chunk IBL from CSI yesterday! Those are some short and thick indicas!

I wasn't planning on transplanting again. My plan was to flip the lights a couple weeks ago, after I got some clones. But I have been so concerned with this deficiency issue, I was kinda scared to cut anything off of them when they were already losing enough leaves as is.

Now I am not sure what I want to do. If I wait for good growth before I get clones, then I'll definitely need to up pot, I would think. But I do not have bigger pots at the moment (I can get some however).

At the same time, I wouldn't really want to flip until I sort this issue out anyway. So maybe I will have to up pot regardless.

They are in 1.5 gallon pots currently. Initially I had concerns about getting all the pots to fit in the space, but it does seem now that I could fit bigger pots fairly easily. If I had to do it

Redrum92

I'll definitely be giving more calmag. Of course I still have to be cautious not to over do it. I don't want too much calcium. Would foliar feeding cause a nute lockout? Or does that just happen in the soil?

I have been using just straight tap water recently for watering and feeding. I don't have an RO system, but I do have a distiller that I use to fill my cool mist. Takes about 4hours and 30 cents worth of electricity to make a gallon.

I completely forgot about the thought that my tap may have too much calcium and may cause lockout. Not sure why I stopped diluting, other than convenience, i suppose. I will try to go back to that.

About watering, each plant gets 2-3 coffee mugs full, until runoff. Doesn't seem like much to me, and I have been thinking maybe I have some really hydrophilic dry spots in the pots that the water just flows around, rather than going through and rehydrating it? Not sure. Then it's 2-3days before they get watered again. I check the moisture 2-3inches down to determine when to water again.

Wait, so have you been using tap? Tap can vary wildly in pH and contents day to day, and just be generally terrible.

I'd always recommend using distilled or RO and adding calmag instead

revegeta666

Would foliar feeding cause a nute lockout? Or does that just happen in the soil?
Foliar would be assimilated earlier and give the roots a break in case there's a problem iin the rootzone which I suspect is the case. If anything it would prevent a possible lockout.

About watering, each plant gets 2-3 coffee mugs full, until runoff. Doesn't seem like much to me,
That sounds like a lot to me mate. Seeing the size of the plants I would give them maybe 250-300ml (metric sorry). And you don't need to water a pure indica til runoff.

Now I am not sure what I want to do. If I wait for good growth before I get clones, then I'll definitely need to up pot,
imo your best bet is to save the last transplant for a few days before flipping to flower. You can take the clones in the 2nd or 3rd week of flower no problem.

Have you tried the lifting the pots method? To check their weight before watering?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These are slower growing IBL plants so maybe they are a bit picky and need more room for their root system. 1.5 gallons seems pretty small. With an ongoing issue I would treat them nice and transplant to good media in bigger containers and water them in well. Let them grow for a bit, then take some cuttings, and flower them out after they respond and fill back in. No experience with indoor setups though.

I do seedling germination indoors, maybe you should take them outside and let them see the sunlight on a nice day if you can. Nothing like the power of the sun.

greencalyx

Premium user
Have you tried the lifting the pots method? To check their weight before watering?

I tried, but I kept second guessing myself. Still check the weight everytime I decide to water, so I become more familiar with the weight. I think I am getting better at recognizing the right weight now.

I check with my finger, and even then I am still thinking there could be plenty of moisture just beyond my finger, and I definitely don't want to disturb the roots by checking deeper.

Once a couple plants start to look like this, I start to feel confident it is time to water. (Pic from now as I am about to water again) At least, I hope that's what the plant is telling me..
20230328_151245.jpg

greencalyx

Premium user
These are slower growing IBL plants so maybe they are a bit picky and need more room for their root system. 1.5 gallons seems pretty small. With an ongoing issue I would treat them nice and transplant to good media in bigger containers and water them in well. Let them grow for a bit, then take some cuttings, and flower them out after they respond and fill back in. No experience with indoor setups though.

I do seedling germination indoors, maybe you should take them outside and let them see the sunlight on a nice day if you can. Nothing like the power of the sun.

The weather isn't quite that nice out yet. Highs are in the upper 40s low 50s (f). Just started my tomato seeds, tho. So it's on the way

I definitely think a transplant is in order. I just ordered some 3 gallon fabric pots, so overwatering and rootbound(ness) won't be as much of a worry. Hopefully all the new soil will cheer them up

The pots won't get here until next week, so the transplant won't happen until next weekend.

In the meantime, I think I'll start watering and feeding with distilled water. I'll try cutting back water a bit. And I will start spraying with magnesium again. The plants that I did spray a few weeks earlier do seem a bit better off than the others. Also, I'll have cal mag in my water/feed too.

Not sure if my feed levels are right tho. Definitely looks N deficient and pale, but also looked like the leaves started curling downwards after I bumped up the feed a bit. I think I'll give a half strength feed again

greencalyx

Premium user
Welp, been a while since I've updated this, and things have gotten crazy.

I did transplant them into 3gal fabric pots. I transplanted half and the other half a couple weeks later, because a bunch of random life stuff popped up.

I ended up switching to flower only a couple weeks ago, after about 3 months of veg, lol.

As you can imagine, things are pretty crowded in the tent. My original plan was to more or less just let the pollen fly in there, for an open pollination. That's not gonna work out so well now, in these close quarters. Here we are at about 2weeks:

20230513_142608.jpg
20230513_142621.jpg
20230513_142627.jpg
20230513_143608.jpg

So now, there is a change of plans. I think I will flower the males in a separate room, collect pollen, then pollinate the ladies by hand, or similar means. I should have the other room set up next weekend.

I did take clones of everyone, but only about half look to be successful. Is it too far into flower to try again?

Latest posts

Latest posts