What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First foray into organics

Bmac1

Veteran
Just keep your nuts off my drums and dont forget, 5pm sharp, karate in the basement.

Bmac1

Veteran
1374.gif

Bmac1

Veteran
Ill get some pics up tomorrow for the end of week one of 12/12. They are looking great. I am going to start another tea today and try to keep up with giving them a tea once a week. I got a lid for the tea bucket and cut a hole in it to fit the top of the airlift and hopefully make it a bit quieter and much less messy. I also shortened the up pipe on the airlift by about an inch.

I started tying to some of the tomato cages and hopefully the training goes well. They are all staying pretty even height wise which is nice. I see the chemsour#2 cross is looking like the stretchiest so far.

Bmac1

Veteran
Here is the tea brewing with the lid on. It was foamy last time but seems to be much more foamy this time. Im not sure if this is due to the lid being on there this time and maybe that prevents the dissipation of the bubbles? Its been going for 24 hrs at this point and will be ready tonight when the lights come on.

picture.php

Here are the girls. Really looking nice and growing vigorously. Ive started a bit of the training into the cages but they need a good trim and that will happen this week when I take some cuts for back up.

picture.php

B

Baked Alaskan

I've used hydroton as a mulch and had a thick mat of feeder roots on top of and in the first few inches of soil, seems to work great,

Good luck

Ph-patrol

Veteran
The brewer and tent look tight Dragon.
I have been thinking about changing my flowering cycle to 11/13. Im always concerned with herming but DJ Short said it brings out different pheno expressions in the plants. I think its interesting strategy.

sinserly knighthawk:biggrin:

Bmac1

Veteran
I was just thinking about trying that exact thing this morning. Debating whether to go 11/13 fairly quickly or wait till about half way. It's still up for debate.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll be back with a smart ass reply later. Thanks for the camera "battery", Canon. Asshat thing needs to be charged for every use...

Ah, here we go.

You call that a knife?

This is a knife.

img_0007_1.jpg

Bit o' Mextiza strapped down :D Leaf and stem smell is driving me wild and a poignant reminder I haven't smoked this in almost two years.

Shakey and fuzzy. Either too much caffeine or not enough. I lean towards the latter, and also blame the cheap camera.

Oh yeah. Never built an airlift, but you might try running it with straight water. If bubbles are making it out the lower pipe ends it may contribute to the gurgling, though from what I gather it seems common in that design. MM would be the man to ask.

Bmac1

Veteran
That is a neat bit of business you got there with the cage cut open and doctored up. I really like that idea. I'm going to try that down the road for sure. The chugging is normal by all accounts i have seen and it's much more quiet with the lid and some non slip rubber matting under the pump and the bucket it sits on. They got another tea last night and they are really looking lush and in real eed of a hair cut.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Cool trellis Mikell. I am big into stakes ,electrical wire,hot glue and Fishing line.
Im very technical.:biggrin:

Bmac1

Veteran
Not gonna lie, I had to google didactic, lol. I dont mean to patronize if thats how it comes across. I am very much learning on the fly but come one come all. Any input is appreciated, good and bad. Welcome aboard.

The ladies spent some time in the salon this morning. Got an aggressive haircut and a cleaning of the under carriage. Took a few cuts of the chemsour#1 and the purple dream. I already have mothers of the DSD and the chemsour#2.

Im looking forward to the chemsour crosses the most and seeing about continuing down the line and finding a nice male to dust them up with. The purple dream likely wont be run again, just for the sake of finding something new. The DSD I honestly dont have high hopes for. The 2 prior females I have had out of the pack have not been anywhere close to keepers. I hope I am surprised with this one though.

I will start popping more seeds in the next little while but enough of my blabbering and on to some photos.

Here is the group shot after settling back in from the salon.

picture.php

Here is an upskirt shot for you perverts.

picture.php

I know this would make good mulch apparently but I am still terrified of getting bugs. This is a mental hurdle that I will have to overcome on the organic journey.

picture.php

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Looking good, Bmac! Nice touch with the in-line for the brewer running it through PVC versus just sticking the tube up the vertical pipe. Do you still suspend it in the bucket or does it just sit on the bottom?

Here is the tea brewing with the lid on. It was foamy last time but seems to be much more foamy this time. Im not sure if this is due to the lid being on there this time and maybe that prevents the dissipation of the bubbles? Its been going for 24 hrs at this point and will be ready tonight when the lights come on

Airlifts ftw!

Did you change the ingredients or quantities between the two different times? Foam is usually related to an ingredient, like molasses or aloe, and the quantity used. If you want to cut down the foam add a couple drops of some food grade oil like olive or coconut.

I know this would make good mulch apparently but I am still terrified of getting bugs. This is a mental hurdle that I will have to overcome on the organic journey.

It might help to remember that bugs aren't all bad. Some of them are good guys and make our job easier. But I certainly understand your concern, even with all of the information available today I still wouldn't want to deal with root aphids or broad mites.

Bmac1

Veteran
If I am understanding correctly, you mean the airline being suspended? It is attached to the manifold itself with a threaded fitting. The ingredients are the same as last time 1.5 cups of EWC and 1/3 cup of BSM. A scoop could be a bit more rounded I guess.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
No, sorry I wasn't clear about that... is the airlift itself, the PVC tubing and all, just sitting on the bottom of the bucket or is it suspended in the water? Only reason I ask is because you might get a slight, albeit noticeable, noise reduction if you raise it up so it's "hanging" in the water rather than sitting on the bottom.

Bmac1

Veteran
It does sit right on the bottom of the bucket. The noise has been greatly reduced with putting the anti slip rubber matting under the pump and the bucket it sits on. The only noise really coming from the tea bucket is the sloshing of the water and the addition of the lid has helped that a great deal as well.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Happy Easter Bmac
I can see you trimmed the girls up a bit. I don't do much trimming my self , Kinda of a all natural type of guy.
I can see the great air flow you gain and you seem poised to do some training I assume. keep up the great work.

Didactic MMMM I did not catch any underling agenda in you post.Pretty straight forward.

Ph-patrol

Bmac1

Veteran
I like to give them a nice trim up for air flow for sure. I dont have a fan blowing on them really, just the Honeywell blowing up at the light and the extraction fan sucking the air out. I have done both and if I did more extracting these days, I would trim much less and play around with the lower stuff making bubble, BHO etc. Hopefully I train them nicely and end up with a bunch of nice tops.

Bmac1

Veteran
Here are a few shots from this morning which is day 15 of 12/12. Im ready for the stretch to stop. They have doubled in height at least. I am hoping it slows at least now that buds are just starting to form.

picture.php

picture.php

Everything is going very well so far. They seem to be loving the soil and the teas. The are looking healthy and are very vigorous. The aggressive trimming I gave them didnt slow them down at all. I have been giving them tea/water/tea etc and I am very pleased so far.

I gave them a bit more of a trim this morning. Cleaned up a few things that are not getting much light and a few fans that were blocking bud sites. I think they are revved up and ready to put on a show.

I am thinking I am just going to stay the course with using the basic tea every other watering but am going to look into what exactly I am getting out of the EasyBake pack as far as nutrients provided. I need to understand this stuff and then I can better make the decision to use something for an organic PK boost.

The pics should start getting better in the next couple weeks.

Latest posts

Latest posts