What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Firefox 4 is WAYYYYY faster

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tried it... Runs nice, but a good bit slower than Chrome, especially on complex pages and when my system is under high CPU load.

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
im slowly testing it on my mac - havent seen anything to incredible in reviews yet to make me switch on my main rig

Him

Just downloading it now, wasn't that impressed with previous versions though.......

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
I decided to grab it for my home machine and play with it - it does seem to be faster but i have yet to get into some of the real photo heavy threads. Ill do that this afternoon and see if i can get some times to load noted.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Since installing the new version I am having trouble with images NOT showing up.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Hey peeps....

My bad. It WAS NOT an issue with Firefox at all.

The pics I was having the issue with were set to private by the OP.

It drove me nutz all day cause everybody kept referring to the pics and I didn't see any pics.

Anyway, ignore the ugly fucker that brought up the issue...
picture.php

Crake

Quoting something I posted in another thread:
It's disheartening to see so many Firefox users, as it performs worst on every benchmark out of every browser. People are clearly misinformed into believing it is somehow good. You've probably been convinced by some "tech savvy" friend of yours at one point or another that Firefox is where it's at. Let me clear that up for you.

Javascript engine performance (do you know why your Facebook runs so slow? Firefox)

javascript_wgreen.png

Cold and warm start up times (Firefox is shit. 16 seconds to load the browser. No thank you.)

cold_warm_starts_wgreen.png

Tab loading times

nine_tab_load_wgreen.png

Page rendering times (C'mon guys, why are you using Firefox?)

dom_css_wgreen.png

Not to mention, developing content for a Firefox-centric web is generally pretty miserable. It doesn't abide by W3C standards any more than IE does. Who knows what's going to happen when HTML5 is mainstream (by the way, HTML5 standards were authored by Google and Apple engineers working in tandem--fun trivia).

Though Firefox is certainly due its merits (pioneering tabbed browsing, providing a pleasant open-source development platform for script kiddies, establishing a great community for sharing ideas, and revolutionizing the browser extension), all of its ideas have been gleaned and made better by its competitor(s). A community developed browser like Firefox simply doesn't have the monetary "oomf" to rise to the next level. For this reason, one can see why Firefox's market share has plateaued and is beginning to drop (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp).

Though Google is probably evil, they clearly have the budget and incentive to make the best browser. Take the training wheels off your web browsing experience and give Chrome a shot.

P.S. If you're concerned about adblock, there are (better) alternatives on Chrome such as Privoxy. There are also plenty of other extensions to muck around with.

JiveBanana

Foxyproxy is a useful addon to use several different proxies. It can use a different proxy depending on the URL you're visiting.

The reason it doesn't slow down your connections like Tor does, is the lack of anonimity. You'll only be as anonymous as the proxy server's admin allows you to be.

So if you just want to be able to use different proxies and don't really care about privacy, use Foxyproxy (I do too), but if you're paranoid, stick with Tor.

BIGGS

Veteran
Foxyproxy is a useful addon to use several different proxies. It can use a different proxy depending on the URL you're visiting.

The reason it doesn't slow down your connections like Tor does, is the lack of anonimity. You'll only be as anonymous as the proxy server's admin allows you to be.

So if you just want to be able to use different proxies and don't really care about privacy, use Foxyproxy (I do too), but if you're paranoid, stick with Tor.

cheers for the info bro. i was going to use tor, but it doesn't work on the newest firefox yet.

TreeTopHi

Thanks for the info, I just updated mine I had been putting the update off, lol. Not sure why I do that, but I always do.. :p