What's new

Finishing long flowering sativas on time using partial light dep.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this. My idea was to pull plastic / light dep from around the end of july to the end of august, forcing the plants to start flowering earlier so they would be finished by mid to late october. Im not ready this year but I have a lot of pure sativa seeds I want to pop and run but most of the time they arent finished before the frost, especially those 14 week + strains.
Any ideas as to why this wouldnt work? Anyone else tried with success or failure? tap in!

elanius

Veteran
yep, it works ; )

I have done it before, have flowered them indoors for 2 months and then transferred them outside when the day was short enough.
Your way would be even more natural for them

Limeygreen

Veteran
I haven't but there are many people who have in BC, so they can finish sweet skunk and other strains. You may consider earlier so they finish when you have higher light intensity for a better potency, density and flavours.

steasy88

I'm doin this now so I get a harvest for about the end of September as the weather can get shitty by then good luck this of your grow

djonkoman

Veteran
I have done it, but only with plants in pots. pots make it easdier since it's easier to create a dark room indoors to move them into.

didn't grow any truly longflowering strains, just strains that are too late to flower here.

it works well, but it requires a bit of discipline/planning. I found myself racing home a few times while hanging out since it was 6 o' clock and I had to move my plants into the dark. although skipping a few days(for example while I was at a festival for a weekend) didn't matter, as long as they were well underway with flowering.

if there are other options I wouldn't do it, it really dominates your daily planning if you have to be at home every day at a certain time, but if you really want to grow a certain strain that's too late(or breed with it to make it earlier) it's a nice solution.

Joey Bliss

Was wondering if anyone has experience with this. My idea was to pull plastic / light dep from around the end of july to the end of august, forcing the plants to start flowering earlier so they would be finished by mid to late october. Im not ready this year but I have a lot of pure sativa seeds I want to pop and run but most of the time they arent finished before the frost, especially those 14 week + strains.
Any ideas as to why this wouldnt work? Anyone else tried with success or failure? tap in!
Yes if u have a dark garage or a way to black out windows. I carry my sativa plant into my garage at 545 around late July and they flip and I’ll do this on a schedule till the outside daylight is close so no reveg. And I’ll harvest Santa Marta gold crosses in late September in New Jersey