What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIFA ?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
not going good for host. out of tournament in 2 games. Saddam's kids fed one of their soccer coaches into a branch mulcher for losing a match once. don't know how they handle such public relations/embarrassments in Qatar. US in two ties, one to Wales 1-1, and a scoreless draw with England that DID surprise me. figured that match would be 5-zip or something...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
US plays Iran next, on Tuesday i think. the Iranian team is apparently on the side of the folks protesting against the mullahs back home, as is almost everyone out there. there might not be the animosity many would expect between the two sides. competitive, yes... be cool to see this match played as a "friendly".

armedoldhippy

Veteran
be cool to see this match played as a "friendly".
it wasn't PLAYED as a friendly, but the teams showed excellent sportsmanship. probably pissed Tehran off. news tonight says the Iranian people celebrated the US teams win, as they see the national team as an extension of those in power. if the team is beaten, the power structure loses face... "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I was never into soccer but the wm shows that fifa it's just a bunch of greedy fuckers who bend over if the stack of money is high enough.
Also the "protest" plans with the armbands were ridiculous. If a "protest" is chancelled by the first opposition it was never a real protest. Just some blabla to make yourself feel superior

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I was never into soccer but the wm shows that fifa it's just a bunch of greedy fuckers who bend over if the stack of money is high enough.
Also the "protest" plans with the armbands were ridiculous. If a "protest" is chancelled by the first opposition it was never a real protest. Just some blabla to make yourself feel superior
the teams have no real method to protest "while in competition" besides armbands etc. they busted their ass to get there, and don't want their team captains etc sanctioned by the sports governing body during the World Cup. FIFA snuffing it out just brought MORE attention to the issue. i liked how the German team covered their mouths in team pictures in protest of being silenced. will finds a way...every time those in charge shut down a protest just makes them look worse.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Japan beat Spain yesterday, which eliminates Germany through a scoring system i don't understand, lol. Germany was considered a favorite to win it all... WOW! Portugal is tied with South Korea...nope, they LOST by a 2-1 score. Seoul probably on fire by now, lol...dancing in the streets!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Morocco, first team EVER in semi's from Africa was bounced today by defending champs France, 2-0. down to France versus Messi & Argentina in the final...ought to be a good one. Messi needs a win to feather his cap with after loss to Germany in 2014 final.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
caught the very end of championship game. Lionel Messi, one of the greats, going out as a World Cup champion (FINALLY!) with the 4-3 win in shoot-out penalty kicks over France after the match ended 3-3. now they will see him in the same light as Maradona & Pele, the Gods of the Game! the future of the sport, Kylian Mbappe, showed well. we'll see him again, i'm sure...

Cuddles

Argentina has won the world cup (once again)!!
what a great final to watch!
Both teams were brilliant and it was so close, it really could have gonne either way!
Those are always the best kinds of games for watching :cool: