What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

Fiddynut

no i dont think day 19 is too late
they are still in their early flower stage and would be able to transfer that energy to the tops
just try and use something really sharp and make clean cuts close to the main stem

that oven sounds perfect for making pizza!
i bet you ahve the best pizza crusts!
and topping it with home made sausage just takes it to another level all together!
ill let you know when i get my set up and maybe you can help me wiht the recipie
also i was talking to a friend at work and he was talking about double grinding his meat
one thing im also planning on doing is grinding my own beef for burgers or meat loaf
the other day, ground beef was about $5lb whle tri tip was on sale for $4.99
at those prices i would rather use better cuts of meat to make my burgers
im thinking i could add a couple pieces of bacon to it while grinding too, to add some fat and flavor

your first attempt at cloning came out great
some plants are jsut harder to clone than others
did the larries have roots poking out of the rooter cubes before you moved them into those pots?
it may just be a strain that is harder to clone, so you would want to take extra cuts expecting a lower strike rate

hope you are having a great weekend too , man
totally counting down for the holidays!
Good morning pop_rocks.
I hope your weekend went well. I had 8" of snow to deal with but luckily my snowblower started and is working well. My dad and I got 15 pounds of Italians made and I had some pork left over and made some Asian bbq pork with that for stir fry. Needless to say I ate well and enjoyed my weekend.

I also got a shipment of autoflower seeds on Saturday. I got about 10 different strains and I'm going to run some right away. In fact I'm going to take advantage of the full moon tonight and pop 12 seeds. I have 3 different strains soaking in water today and will plant them after work. They should finish quickly while I decide to run the clones I have or find some new beans.

I still haven't lollypop the plants yet and I'm kind of thinking I may wait until my next grow. I may do a partial trimming but not a full lolly pop. My thinking is that having the extra leaves are going to help buffer against nute deficiency. If I leave that growth the plant can pull nutes from them if it needs them. I'm loosing a few lower leave a already and I think it's just because there isn't enough light down there. Since I'm still learning how to feed these girls I'm still erring on the light feeding side of the spectrum. I'll get my shit together and do a proper lolly pop next grow for sure.

The kamado is an insulated charcoal keg that I do the pizza on. It get hotter that an oven and you get the wood fired oven taste from the charcoal. The only issue is that it gets so hot it has a tendency to crack the pizza stone.

Once you get your grinder you will want to experiment with the different grinding plates. They are what determines how corse the grind is. You will find that different plates make for various textures. Ever notice how fine the grind is on something like a hotdog? Compare that with a brat or something much coarser. Different textures are better suited for different applications. Also personal preference comes into play. Grinding something a second time will result in a very fine grind. You will also want to play with fat content which is what is responsible for juiciness. If making burgers I'd try something like 50% tritip and 50% chuck which is fattier and will make your burgers juicier. Again it's a personal preference but I find an 80/20 meat/fat is great for burgers. You can grind in bacon cheese or anything in the mix you like.

I ditched the 2 Larry #2 clones because they were done but I'm happy with the others. None had any roots sticking out of the rooters when I put them in the little pots. They must have rooted in the week in between when I poted them and when I pulled the dome off a week ago. Probably going to have to transplant them in a week or so. I'm going to do a quick run of these auto flower plants and that will give me time to see if the mothers of the clones turned out any good. The autos should be 60-65 days start to finish so that will give me time to start up my next run of regulars and give me some verity in the mean time.

I hope you had a good weekend and all is well. The countdown to the Holliday is on....Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Quick update.

Quick update.

Just wanted to put up a quick update it's been a busy weekend. I have been watering every 2 days not that the girls are monsters and drinking like crazy. My humidity has been around 40% and that is making for more evaporation as well. The girls have been happy and the stretch is about over. Good thing too since the Girl Scout is a little too tall for my space. She will have to deal with being a little closer to the light than she would probably like. She isn't showing much if any heat/light stress yet so no need to do anything too crazy with her. I'll try to bent the two tall tops over a bit to make some more room for her this week. I still have to get the bamboo supports in and get the girls some support for when the buds start getting heavy. Once supported I'll try to bend some of the branches and get a more even canopy. Today is day 22 of bloom for them.
Here is a pic of a very full tent.

With the snow and everything this weekend I managed to spend a few hours with my dad and we make 3 batches of Italian sausage. It use to take all day but I've streamlined the process a bit and we had it done in about 3 hours. The sausage turned out really nice and I was able to tweak the recipe a bit.
Here is what 15 pounds of freshly made Italians looks like.

It's a full moon tonight so I'm going to pop some seeds and hope for good things. I'm trying some autos for the first time and excited about a nice quick grow. I may start a new grow journal or just add some updates about the new batch on this one.
I hope everyone had a great weekend and is having a good week...Fiddy

Rodehazrd

Hello guys
Good looking meat there ready for the long cold. It's coming here now wind chill near zero.
I took fiddys advice and added a humidifier when I hit 30% one night I'm aiming for 50 but hit 86 today.
May be time to buy a humistat. What are the signs of too low humidity? I added a propane heater to my veg room and boy it dries it out. I had gotten the idea that propane gave off some moisture from something I read but not my experience. I amuse myself reading above my understanding.
Then I get to laugh at my misconceptions.
I hope those full moon seeds go for you. it's chop time here but only 1 plant ready I guess I missed the start time again. I'm determined to not chop early waiting for a little brown trich.
Hunker down guys stay warm
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Hello guys
Good looking meat there ready for the long cold. It's coming here now wind chill near zero.
I took fiddys advice and added a humidifier when I hit 30% one night I'm aiming for 50 but hit 86 today.
May be time to buy a humistat. What are the signs of too low humidity? I added a propane heater to my veg room and boy it dries it out. I had gotten the idea that propane gave off some moisture from something I read but not my experience. I amuse myself reading above my understanding.
Then I get to laugh at my misconceptions.
I hope those full moon seeds go for you. it's chop time here but only 1 plant ready I guess I missed the start time again. I'm determined to not chop early waiting for a little brown trich.
Hunker down guys stay warm
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
Making food and now caring for my plants helps keep the winter blues away for me. I like the change of seasons but I'm not a fan of the bitter cold. Love the snow but don't like it below about 20 degrees or so. Can't change the weather so just going to have to find ways to keep busy. I have the three girls in flower and the rooted cuttings I took from them and now I planted 12 autos so that should keep me busy for a while.
I hear you on the humidity being hard to controle. I'm below 40% and it just keeps getting drier. I haven't added a humidifier yet but may soon. I haven't noticed any adverse affects on the plants so just have to see how it goes. I'm not sure what the low humidity does to the plants. It sure makes them drink more water tho. I'm watering every two days in the same pots that were on a 3 day cycle during the summer when humidity was higher. I think the VPD people would say it slows growth when humidity is low. Maybe the plant has to work more to keep hydrated and that takes energy from growth or something. Just guessing here.
I have a feeling that your RH goes down when you burn propane because warmer air can hold more moisture. There is sometimes water in the tanks of propane when you get them filed. I know that because I had a gas grill that would get ice in the valve and stop working in the winter. Burning wood would give off more moisture from the steam coming out of the wood. I guess we just have to try different things until we find something that works and keeps the plants happy.
Good luck with your harvest and I hope your other girls hurry up. It's got to be tough to try to get the start time right for anticipated harvest day. I suppose if you are working with clones that you have grown out a couple times you would have a good idea how many days they need to go.
You stay warm as well and let's hope for a mild winter....Fiddy.

Tri_Cho_Me

I believe growth rate and humidity has to do with the plants stomata and how they open and close depending on the environment. I have been struggling with humidity myself, but finally gave up as it is different everyday and a constant battle. Like you said, the plants seem to be fine, you just may need to water more often.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

I believe growth rate and humidity has to do with the plants stomata and how they open and close depending on the environment. I have been struggling with humidity myself, but finally gave up as it is different everyday and a constant battle. Like you said, the plants seem to be fine, you just may need to water more often.

Tri_Cho_Me
My thoughts exactly Tri_Cho_Me.
Without a grow laboratory or a sealed grow room it just doesn't seem possible to keep in range of VPD chart. As long as the girls are happy it's ok. I may do a water, water, feed repeat since I'm watering 3 times a week these days....Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Thanks Tri_Cho_Me
I don't see any I'll effects either that I can blame on humidity. But last winter I had very slow growth it was a little cold but could it have been low humidity?
Fiddy I am working with second run clones but chopped too early last time so never really knew bloom time emdog amnesia and mango tango are at 70 days, a week past last time. I'm going with the trichs not the moon. I'm not continuing these cuts so I want to be sure treat these last ones right.
Gotta hit the Woodpile
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Thanks Tri_Cho_Me
I don't see any I'll effects either that I can blame on humidity. But last winter I had very slow growth it was a little cold but could it have been low humidity?
Fiddy I am working with second run clones but chopped too early last time so never really knew bloom time emdog amnesia and mango tango are at 70 days, a week past last time. I'm going with the trichs not the moon. I'm not continuing these cuts so I want to be sure treat these last ones right.
Gotta hit the Woodpile
Rodehazrd
I'm just guessing on the humidity but I've read that lower temps really slows them down. Maybe the two factors combined to slow them down.
The moon is a good gauge but I think you are right to use the trichs to guide you. Treat them right and enjoy them.
I wish I had a wood fireplace, I'd get stoned and watch the flames for hours.

Tri_Cho_Me

That's exactly what I was thinking Fiddy. Anything below 65 is probably starting to slow growth a little. Maybe try experimenting with a heating mat to keep your rootball warm(er).

Tri_Cho_Me

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
yes, tri_cho_me too low humidity closes the stoma as the plant tries to retain moisture
low temps also slow growth

if you are growing in a tent, how about closing the tent up and using a spray bottle to mist the plants occasionally?

@rhodehazard
why did you decide to not run those cuts again?
low potency?
low yield?

loving that full tent pic,btw!
those look like some nice healthy plants!

Rodehazrd

Good morning guys
It's getting frosty here. I'm trying to warm my roots. I have some up on buckets and the rest on Styrofoam blocks to keep off the cement floor. I'm working on a fan today to get my heat off the ceiling (11'). Temp in the tray was 63 with lights on. I looked at more heat pads but I don't plan to have flowering in Feb. As last year was a waste of energy.
Pop I won't continue mango tango because it's just not that special. Yield is low but I don't mind that. I'm putting bangi haze in to try.
Em dog had a lot of body effect for us couch lock of sorts. I'm putting hso desert diesel in that slot for my bad back. (Those things are crazy vigorous.) Both were delicious and good quality but not our favorite. The amnesia I misspoke about, the first one went 93 days and was not done
This last one is in the 80 day range now and I think it will go 100. I think it was good but don't remember. That's just too long for me when my 707 cut finishes well in 56 days and 818 hb in 70. So no complaints just continuing to look.
I have some new 818 seeds I'm looking for a higher yield than my current cut.
Fiddy that fireplace is nice to doze in front of but it makes you get out to stoke it which keeps me moving. I'll be firing my boiler soon it burns about a cord every two weeks so I do spend a lot of time cutting in winter. I just drag a log up cut in chunks and toss it in not a lot of split and stack. That thing gets so hot it will burn anything.
Hope all you stay well and safe I'm off to the wood pile again
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

yes, tri_cho_me too low humidity closes the stoma as the plant tries to retain moisture
low temps also slow growth

if you are growing in a tent, how about closing the tent up and using a spray bottle to mist the plants occasionally?

@rhodehazard
why did you decide to not run those cuts again?
low potency?
low yield?

loving that full tent pic,btw!
those look like some nice healthy plants!
Good afternoon pop_rocks.
Going to look into humidifiers this weekend. RH down to 32% this morning and still dropping. Plants still look good but don't want to take any chances. ALSO will want more humidity when harvest time comes so the buds don't dry too quickly as I've herd that makes for harsh smoke. After a couple nights with temps below 0 winter is here with a vengeance. We usually get a spell or two of this in mid to late January but not this early. Might be a long cold winter. 8-12" of snow predicted today and tomorrow then a high of 5 below zero on Sunday ouch.

I think I lucked out and the stretch is over just in time. The GS is a little tall but seems to be dealing with being close to the light well. Buds are starting to stack up and the leaves are still nice and green. This is the point where the leaves started fading on the first grow and other than a few bottom leaves dropping things look good. Feeding slightly less than recommended but more often since the plants are thirsty and need water every couple days. All is well. Going to do a nice update this weekend with more pics and measurements. I transplanted the 3 clones this week and they are doing well. I also popped 12 auto seeds and about half are above soil already.
I hope you have a good weekend. Enjoy the nice SoCal weather and laugh at us suckers up north digging out of the snow this weekend....Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Good morning guys
It's getting frosty here. I'm trying to warm my roots. I have some up on buckets and the rest on Styrofoam blocks to keep off the cement floor. I'm working on a fan today to get my heat off the ceiling (11'). Temp in the tray was 63 with lights on. I looked at more heat pads but I don't plan to have flowering in Feb. As last year was a waste of energy.
Pop I won't continue mango tango because it's just not that special. Yield is low but I don't mind that. I'm putting bangi haze in to try.
Em dog had a lot of body effect for us couch lock of sorts. I'm putting hso desert diesel in that slot for my bad back. (Those things are crazy vigorous.) Both were delicious and good quality but not our favorite. The amnesia I misspoke about, the first one went 93 days and was not done
This last one is in the 80 day range now and I think it will go 100. I think it was good but don't remember. That's just too long for me when my 707 cut finishes well in 56 days and 818 hb in 70. So no complaints just continuing to look.
I have some new 818 seeds I'm looking for a higher yield than my current cut.
Fiddy that fireplace is nice to doze in front of but it makes you get out to stoke it which keeps me moving. I'll be firing my boiler soon it burns about a cord every two weeks so I do spend a lot of time cutting in winter. I just drag a log up cut in chunks and toss it in not a lot of split and stack. That thing gets so hot it will burn anything.
Hope all you stay well and safe I'm off to the wood pile again
Rodehazrd
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
Good idea on the foam blocks. Not sure about you but we are getting much below avrage temps here the last week or two. It may be a long cold winter after all. Does the colder temps make your plants turn purple? Keeping the air moving should help with keeping the warmer air well distributed.
I hear you on the fire, nothing like having to get up in the middle of the night to stoke the fire and add wood. Cutting wood is kind of fun but I could see how it could get tedious after a while. I love it when you get that nice bed of coals and it's so hot you can throw a green log or anything on there and it will burn.
Stay warm and keep the flame lit...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Yes it's cold but compared to what is there a normal anymore I'm at 13 degrees tomorrow's high 56. Interesting times!!! EEK
Rodehazrd

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
mornin fellas'

hope you guys are keeping warm and having a great weekend
we got a ton of rain the past couple days
it dosent look like we will be able to hit the trails for the next couple days but this looks like a good weekend of football.
plus mrs chicky has a cold so we will be enjoying hot soup and smoke ( i have some gummies for her)
she gets kind of restless when we dont ride but i tell her its my off season so i dont mind not riding every now and then
plus im pretty high off this new stuff a friend had given me over the summer (i called the beans mrGibbs)

i bet part of your lack of stretch is from it being so cold
warm temps tend to make plants run long while colder temps make for a more compact profile
while it does slow growth, i tihnk temps in the mid-60's are fine, esp at night
you might get a lighter yield but i think the flavors change and colder temps often bring out some really nice colors

@rhodehazard
i really like your idea of raising your plants off the concrete floor
cement really saps heat and even placing them on a styrofoam pad will give them a little it more insulation
one trick i used to use outdoors when the temps got chilly was to heat up containers of water in the sun and move them under them covered plants at night
i guess you have to have sun for this to work but one thing that might work is to heat up like a bunch of bricks or rocks by the fire and move them into your grow
a lot of work for a little passive heat but it might help
maybe place the containers on a heated cinder block to help warm the roots
i wonder if slightly warm water at the root level would help?
like if you heated some water to like65', would you see noticable growth difference?
it would def help the micorbial activity as tehy tend to really slow down once it gets below a certain temp

just playing with some ideas that might help you guys in your winter wonderlands

Fiddynut

mornin fellas'

hope you guys are keeping warm and having a great weekend
we got a ton of rain the past couple days
it dosent look like we will be able to hit the trails for the next couple days but this looks like a good weekend of football.
plus mrs chicky has a cold so we will be enjoying hot soup and smoke ( i have some gummies for her)
she gets kind of restless when we dont ride but i tell her its my off season so i dont mind not riding every now and then
plus im pretty high off this new stuff a friend had given me over the summer (i called the beans mrGibbs)

i bet part of your lack of stretch is from it being so cold
warm temps tend to make plants run long while colder temps make for a more compact profile
while it does slow growth, i tihnk temps in the mid-60's are fine, esp at night
you might get a lighter yield but i think the flavors change and colder temps often bring out some really nice colors

@rhodehazard
i really like your idea of raising your plants off the concrete floor
cement really saps heat and even placing them on a styrofoam pad will give them a little it more insulation
one trick i used to use outdoors when the temps got chilly was to heat up containers of water in the sun and move them under them covered plants at night
i guess you have to have sun for this to work but one thing that might work is to heat up like a bunch of bricks or rocks by the fire and move them into your grow
a lot of work for a little passive heat but it might help
maybe place the containers on a heated cinder block to help warm the roots
i wonder if slightly warm water at the root level would help?
like if you heated some water to like65', would you see noticable growth difference?
it would def help the micorbial activity as tehy tend to really slow down once it gets below a certain temp

just playing with some ideas that might help you guys in your winter wonderlands
Good morning pop_rocks.
I'm staying warm by keeping really busy at work this week. The snow and cold have really boosted the snowmobile sales and there is plenty of sleds to get ready for people. I don't usually work on sleds but since it is so busy I'm glad to pitch in and lend a hand. If it keeps snowing like this I may even do some snowmobiling this year. I'd rather be on a motorcycle but it's just too icy on the streets for that.
That's too bad you guys are rained out of riding for a while but like you said you have football to keep you occupied. Maybe a couple days for the misses to get over her cold is just what the doctor ordered anyway, and of course some edibles.
Congratulations on finding your new strain (mrGibbs). I am looking forward to harvest and getting some new flavors myself. If it all works out I'll be harvesting in about a month and then I should have my 3 auto strains to harvest about a month after that. That should give me at least 5 flavors in the next 60 days or so.
I wonder if it's cold enough to get some purple colors in the buds this time. It's usually about 69-72 deg lights off in the tent. I have hydronic heat so the basement stays nice and warm in the winter but the cold dry air outside sucks all the moisture out of my house.
I'll be looking at humidifiers tonight and we will see how much that helps"
Thanks for the ideas on keeping the plants warm and happy.
Have a great weekend and enjoy the football games...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Thanks for your thoughts on temp guys. It always helps to have another view.
I definitely saw a lot of color last year. So cold temp does turn headband purple.
The warm water is good I used it on my babies and they liked it I try to get the water warm for bigger girls too
but don't always.
I'm up off the floor now on benches and buckets and blowing down and under with a vent fan. I think I'm good to go for now. root temp is above 60 I'm aiming for 65. That 11' high ceiling helped in summer I never ran ac, but now it's a lot of extra air to heat.
I'm thinking of some kind of heated notill container for future use 30 gal tubs with a heat pad under, or build a tray of plywood and iceshield. I need something of a project, there's freezing rain now so driving is right out for a few days I'm too old for unnecessary hassle of wrecking my car.
Time for my pipe and a little Woodford single barrel.

Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Yes it's cold but compared to what is there a normal anymore I'm at 13 degrees tomorrow's high 56. Interesting times!!! EEK
Rodehazrd
Your right Rodehazrd.
The new normal is abnormal for sure. We have been one of the few parts of the map bucking the warming trend. The last three summers have been below average temps and have been actually cooler than average while it seems almost everyone else is above average.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

So I promised a weekend update and I've been too busy until now to do one. Very busy at work and 2 snow storms to clean up from over the weekend. I hope things slow down a bit before the Holliday this weekend.

The lady's are looking good and seem happy. The stretch is over and just in time as I was quickly running out of room. I'll get some measurements next update on the girls. I've read that you can predict harvest date by watching the stretch closely. I think I read that they stretch for 40% of their bloom time. So using that formula if they stretch for 4 weeks you have another 6 weeks of bloom to go. Mine stretched for about 3.5 weeks and I'm guessing they will be done in another 5 weeks or so. I'll keep track and see if this holds true.

I think I promised to get some individual pics and measurements but I was having a hard tome getting any good pics of them. They are getting so tall and bushy that moving them is becoming a lot of work. I could see myself accidentally braking some branches off if not very carful. They are so tall I couldn't get any good individual shots of them but I got a couple group shots. I'll try to get better pics next time.

I will have to tie them to the bamboo supports soon and I'm going to flush after the next feeding. I've been using fairly high doses of salt based nutes for a couple weeks now and don't want any lockouts or salt buildup at the roots.
Here are a couple pics of them from the last watering.

The buds are starting to bulk up and stack. Not getting a lot of smell out of them yet but I think they will be getting stinky soon. Starting to see some trichome development and I'm hoping things get frosty in the next couple weeks.

On a side note I've got a new thread going on the autos I started last week. All 12 seeds I planted have sprouted and broken ground and are looking great. I'm looking for a nice quick grow on these autos and they should add some variety to the mix. I've included a link to the new thread in my signature.
Thanks for stoping by and I hope everyone is doing well in these last couple weeks of 2016....Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
whats a sled? does it have a motor?
/like i know about teh ones made of wood with metal runners and tabogones, but i dont tihnk this is what you mean

a snow mobile would be awsome fun!
almost like riding a dirt bike i imagine and a good way to get out and enjoy the back country

i really enjoyed watching the games this weekend but it was announced ( about as oficalaly as you can get right now) that the chargers are moving to LA
my gut feeling was this was the case but we heard during the raiders game that its all but a done deal
kind of the end of an era for me, having grown up in san diego
ive sat through a lot of seasons of good and bad football, but the chargers were my team
its still up in the air if we get a new team here in san diego any time soon (rumor has it the raiders will be moving in)
all i know for sure is f-dean spanos
hes a cheapskate fool and has no idea how to run a professional team or even act like a decent person for that matter
/sorry for the rant guys

i like your idea of a self heated grow container, rhodehazard!
lets figure this one out and we could all become rich!

the girls are looking really nice fiddy!
which ones are the two trees in the back?!?
they look like they are really testing your ceiling
the tent looks packed and i can see why its hard to get some pics (the ones you posted look great btw)
ive never heard that about the stretch corresponding with the overall flower but it totally makes sence

that is cool you are running some autos too!
this is something i am very interested in and ive heard some good things about the new generations of auto flowering plants

ill be sure to stop by sometime soon!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts