What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
plenty to go around guys!
/turned into more of a white bean chili with rice and spicy sausage

im just about out of left overs too after throwing most of the turkey into the stew
just enough for one more sandwich and maybe a few odd bits for the dog
i am already looking fore ward to next year!!

hope you fellas both had great thanksgivings!!

Fiddynut

plenty to go around guys!
/turned into more of a white bean chili with rice and spicy sausage

im just about out of left overs too after throwing most of the turkey into the stew
just enough for one more sandwich and maybe a few odd bits for the dog
i am already looking fore ward to next year!!

hope you fellas both had great thanksgivings!!
Good evening pop_rocks.
White beans rice spicy sausage sounds great. I'm hungry just thinking about it and I just ate. I ate way too much on thanksgiving and leftovers all weekend. I bet I gained a few pounds. Holliday season is great us food lovers. Even just the cooler weather itself makes me want to cook more. Or maybe it's the shorter days.

The girls are looking great and I'm going down to water in a few minutes. They are growing like crazy and starting to suck up water more quickly. I'm going to give them a very light feeding this time. I'll get some pics and put up an update in the morning.

Fiddynut

Update 11/30

Update 11/30

Greetings icmag friends.
I've been lazy and haven't updated in a while. Actually I've been lurking in a bunch of threads looking at beautiful pictures of cannabis plants. I've run across a lot of people getting the most out of their genetics and want to try to emulate what they are doing. After just a few months of growing I'm starting to set my goals a little higher than I had been.

This thread has probably gotten a little tired and I feel I can do more to spice things up a bit. I'm not that good at small talk and need to start bringing up relevant discussion and bring some fun back to this thread.

The girls are getting fat and tall and I'm having to rase the light 1-2 inches daily. They are filling my flower tent nicely and I'm starting to get my expectations up a bit. The GS cookie is now taller than either of the Larry's. It was only topped once and has 2 nice branches that are going to be great colas but will be a little higher than the secondary branches but still has good shape. The Larry's were topped twice and the 4 tops have yet to catch up with the secondary branches. I thought the tops would catch up sooner and out grow the side branches but so far that's not the case. If they remain even there will be 10-12 tops on each all within a couple inches of each other. That's going to be great for filling the canopy. I'm really starting to get some high expectations for them. As long as they don't get too tall I think I'm going to get a lot more at harvest than on my first grow.

The girls were getting thirsty last night and the pots were very light. I gave them water with 1/8 strength grow big and 1/8 strength tiger bloom. I also added some Fulvic acid for better uptake of nutrients. I got a sample pack of supplements to try when I started my last grow and figured it would be good to try a couple out. I'm going to give plain water next time and then try 1/4-1/2 strength nutes after that. I feel like my environment is working pretty well and once I learn how and when to use nutes I'll be on my way to growing some fire.

Here is a couple pics of how well they are filling their space.

Not much more to say or do right now. Like I said I want to make this thread a little more interesting so I'll be posting some thoughts and questions pertaining to this or future grows on days that I don't do updates and pics. Thanks for following along and I hope your grows are going well.

jedi5891

Hey Fiddy, how's it going mate. Pulled up a seat after seeing you've got a thread going.
Your plants are looking great, really healthy and vibrant. I wish my plants were that nice on my 2nd grow :tiphat: so well done your already growing nice looking plants.
Keep up the good work.
Also embrace every problem and issue as it only serves in making you a better more efficient grower. Over the years I've had everything from mites to cal/mag Def an bud rot, but I've learnt from every mistake and most issues can be avoided or the risk minimised.

I'll be watching how these come along.
Peace

Last edited:

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddy, how's it going mate. Pulled up a seat after seeing you've got a thread going.
Your plants are looking great, really healthy and vibrant. I wish my plants were that nice on my 2nd grow :tiphat: so well done your already growing nice looking plants.
Keep up the good work.
Also brace every problem and issue as it only serves in making you a better more efficient grower. Over the years I've had everything from mites to cal/mag Def an bud rot, but I've learnt from every mistake and most issues can be avoided or the risk minimised.

I'll be watching how these come along.
Peace
Good afternoon Jedi.
Thanks for stoping by my grow. I'm trying to do these girls justice and keep them happy. On my first grow I just let them go natural but I'm topping this time and have a much better canopy and more nice tops. I'm with you on embracing problems that are learning opportunities. I've had fungus gnats and know how to deal with them now. My worst case would be if I had a problem that I couldn't figure out and didn't learn how to correct it.

Thanks for stoping by and I hope you and your beautiful plants are well...Fiddy

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddy
How did the cuts come out you seeing new growth?
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
Cuts still look more or less the same as 2 weeks ago. I put them in tiny pots with a little soil a few days ago. I didn't see any roots coming out of the rooter plugs. The dome was off for a while when it potted them and they wilted a little but are still nice and green. I was going to give them a few more days and them pull the dome off during lights off for a couple hours and see how they look. Even if they don't take this has been an adventure.

jedi5891

Good afternoon Jedi.
Thanks for stoping by my grow. I'm trying to do these girls justice and keep them happy. On my first grow I just let them go natural but I'm topping this time and have a much better canopy and more nice tops. I'm with you on embracing problems that are learning opportunities. I've had fungus gnats and know how to deal with them now. My worst case would be if I had a problem that I couldn't figure out and didn't learn how to correct it.

Thanks for stoping by and I hope you and your beautiful plants are well...Fiddy

Thats a good attitude to have and you will learn lots because you want to. I hear you on that as in not being able to identify a problem, solve it and learn. A good few years back I kept getting problem around 3/4 weeks bloom with the plants showing signs of nute Def and no matter what I did I couldn't solve it. I was racking my brain as never experienced it before and it happened every grow for about a year and always around the same time. It turned out to be Cal/mag and since using it I've never suffered it again. I'm convinced they used to put more in the base nutrients as I never suffered it before then.
Yeah topping is the way to get that nice canopy and there's many different techniques. Fimming, LST, mainlining, super cropping etc
What I find is that every plant and type responds differently to different stimulus, you really need to get to know how your plants respond and what they respond well too. I've super cropped plants before and theyve actually done worse than if I'd left, then others that really respond. I think one of the best ways is LST using cable ties as you can tighten the ties if needed to bring things level. I suppose only downside to all this is that it does increase the veg time. I personally think SOG is the most efficient method with the right strain.

Peace

Fiddynut

Thats a good attitude to have and you will learn lots because you want to. I hear you on that as in not being able to identify a problem, solve it and learn. A good few years back I kept getting problem around 3/4 weeks bloom with the plants showing signs of nute Def and no matter what I did I couldn't solve it. I was racking my brain as never experienced it before and it happened every grow for about a year and always around the same time. It turned out to be Cal/mag and since using it I've never suffered it again. I'm convinced they used to put more in the base nutrients as I never suffered it before then.
Yeah topping is the way to get that nice canopy and there's many different techniques. Fimming, LST, mainlining, super cropping etc
What I find is that every plant and type responds differently to different stimulus, you really need to get to know how your plants respond and what they respond well too. I've super cropped plants before and theyve actually done worse than if I'd left, then others that really respond. I think one of the best ways is LST using cable ties as you can tighten the ties if needed to bring things level. I suppose only downside to all this is that it does increase the veg time. I personally think SOG is the most efficient method with the right strain.

Peace
Thanks Jedi.
Funny you should mention the cal/mag deficiency. On my first grow I had the same symptoms. It started on my most vigorous plant and moved to the others after a few weeks of flower. I had been playing it safe and was sure I was just under feeding them but when I started feeding more the yellowing just got worse. They just kept getting more pale yellow and it seems like they took an extra couple weeks to finish. I am starting to wonder if I had a cal or mag or both deficiency going on. I was using water from a natural spring near where I live. I've since read that water with high bicarbonate can lock out cal and maybe mag too. I'm now using 1 part spring to 1 part bottled RO water and have a bottle of GH cal/mag that I have added a couple times. I also had some rust spots that looked like cal deficiency early in this grow but think it was more of a pH lockout thing that got corrected by flush and repot. Do you use cal/mag every watering or just when feeding? I don't want to overdue it because it seems like too much of anything is no good.

Topping slowed these girls down for a while because they were stressed when I topped the first time. Lesson learned and will only top if they look happy from now on. The GSC was sprouted a week or so after the Larry's so it worked well to let the GSC catch up to the 2 Larry's. The second topping (first for the GSC) was to take cuttings. I've herd that some slow growing indicas don't do as well with topping because it slows them down too much. I haven't started tying them down yet but if they keep stretching I may have to do a little of that. I was thinking of doing a SOG once I get the hang of cloning and have a mother that I really like.
Peace...Fiddy

jedi5891

Hey Fiddy, I just add Cal/mag to the feed and I use it right throughout but not as much in the 2nd half of flowering and they grow well with no problems.
What else I like to do is give the pots a good flush 4 weeks into bloom. I take the plants and do it in the bath so all the run off just drains away down the plug hole. I'll flush with around 3x the pots volume then allow them to dry out over 2 or 3 days then back to feeding normal. This cleans the medium of any salt build ups and helps prevent any lock outs and also serves in giving you cleaner tasting buds. They also flush out better at the end and yellow up quicker at the end ensuring all nutrients are flushed out the plant.
Enzymes are also worth incorporating into your feeding regime as the Enzymes break down all the dead roots converting them into nutrients and keeping the medium nice and healthy.
Good luck
Peace

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddy, I just add Cal/mag to the feed and I use it right throughout but not as much in the 2nd half of flowering and they grow well with no problems.
What else I like to do is give the pots a good flush 4 weeks into bloom. I take the plants and do it in the bath so all the run off just drains away down the plug hole. I'll flush with around 3x the pots volume then allow them to dry out over 2 or 3 days then back to feeding normal. This cleans the medium of any salt build ups and helps prevent any lock outs and also serves in giving you cleaner tasting buds. They also flush out better at the end and yellow up quicker at the end ensuring all nutrients are flushed out the plant.
Enzymes are also worth incorporating into your feeding regime as the Enzymes break down all the dead roots converting them into nutrients and keeping the medium nice and healthy.
Good luck
Peace
Good morning Jedi.
Makes sense that they need less cal/mag in the second half since growth slows so much. I'll probably try it at 1/2 strength when feeding and up it if they show def.

I like your practice of flushing half way through flower. The nutes I use recommend monthly flushing as well. I didn't give hardly any nutes during veg and repotted twice so I skipped the first flush but will do one at 4 weeks and another a couple weeks before finish. One of the reasons I've been hesitant to feed much is hearing about lockouts and other problems with salt buildup. Keeping the harvest tasting clean is high on my list of priorities.

Thanks for the tip on enzymes. I'll do some research on which to use and try to incorporate them into the mix. I'm still developing my system of nutes and beneficial additives. So many products out there and lots of opinions on how well each of them work.

Wishing you and your plants happiness and good health...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddy
How did the cuts come out you seeing new growth?
Good morning Rodehazrd.
I may have spoke too soon yesterday. I took a look at the cuts last night and I think I see new growth on at least 2 or 3 of them. I'm now wishing I had cut the tips off the leaves so I can be sure which is new growth. They are looking pretty good and I'm thinking they may have finally taken root.
I hope you and your plants are happy and healthy...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Topic of the day

Topic of the day

So I said in my update yesterday that I want to liven up this thread with some discussion between updates. I was thinking of topic of the day type of thing. Just to keep things interesting. Here is something I have herd of but haven't read too much about.

Anyone have experience with pinching top growth of their plants?
Did it slow them down or stop them completely?
Can you pinch during the stretch?
If you have experience with doing it do you always pinch or just when your girls are threatening to get too tall?
Additional thoughts on pinching?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
looks like we have a new friend on board and the force is strong in this young jedi!
/btw, who remembers the strain jedi?!?

glad to hear the cuts are doing well and it looks ladies are growing nicely
the plants are really liking their new homes and should really produce for you at harvest
it all starts at the root level

thats rad that you got a freebie sampler of nutrients,
what exactly was in that pack?
this is where it would be fun to run an experiment using clones and your new butrients

sorry to not have been posting much lately but you know with the holidays and all
my plate has been pretty full
i like your ideas of spicing things up and will do my part to add a random thought here and there!
so we have had some nice rains here in so cal and that makes for hero dirt conditions on the mtn bike
ill have to bring the camera on our next ride and just post some random mtn bike stuff!

plus, i have the feeling that santa might be bringing me a meat grinder so we have that to talk about as well!!

keep up the good work fiddy

Fiddynut

looks like we have a new friend on board and the force is strong in this young jedi!
/btw, who remembers the strain jedi?!?

glad to hear the cuts are doing well and it looks ladies are growing nicely
the plants are really liking their new homes and should really produce for you at harvest
it all starts at the root level

thats rad that you got a freebie sampler of nutrients,
what exactly was in that pack?
this is where it would be fun to run an experiment using clones and your new butrients

sorry to not have been posting much lately but you know with the holidays and all
my plate has been pretty full
i like your ideas of spicing things up and will do my part to add a random thought here and there!
so we have had some nice rains here in so cal and that makes for hero dirt conditions on the mtn bike
ill have to bring the camera on our next ride and just post some random mtn bike stuff!

plus, i have the feeling that santa might be bringing me a meat grinder so we have that to talk about as well!!

keep up the good work fiddy
Good evening pop_rocks.
Jedi is cool and grows some of the most beautiful frosty plants I've seen here on icmag. I'd love to be able to get that much out of my genetics some day.

My dad stopped over last night and he wanted to see the girls. While we were checking them out I was also showing him my veg tent with the cuttings and when I pulled the dome off I noticed the new growth. I hadn't had the dome off for a few days since I put them in the soil. I didn't see any roots on day 13 when I moved them from the cups into the little pots. I just left them alone for the few days and they look like they all might be growing.

The lady's are on day 9 and getting huge. Going to fill the tent for sure. It might even become inconvenient to take them out for watering soon. It seems like they are going to wrap around one another if they keep bulking up like this. Can't wait to see some buds soon. Raising the light twice a day. I wanted to see how close I could let them get to the light and got a little light stress on just a couple leaves. Now I know I can get to about 13" with the MH bulb. Going to switch to HPS bulb on day 15. I think HPS throws more light and may have to keep a little further.

The sample pack has veg and bloom nutes, folic acid, humadic acid, a rooting powder, a silica supplement, some kind of root stimulant and pH up and down. The girls didn't mind the light dose of folic acid I gave them a couple days ago. I gave a super light feed last watering and will just give plain water probably tomorrow but I think they are getting hungry so I'm thinking a 1/2 strength feeding after that.

Great to hear that you are getting to ride your bike. Sounds like the conditions are great for riding. Does it get muddy there after the rain? The trails around here do and are sometimes not rideable for a couple days. I kind of like playing in the mud anyway. Would love to see some pics of the places you ride.

I hope Santa does bring a grinder your way. I think it's better to grind fresh than to buy any ground meat and for me it's worth the effort. Even just for burgers and stuff like that you know exactly what's in it if you do it yourself. I'll be ready with a great brat recipe and I'll be improving and dialing in my Italian sausage recipe. I'm going to be making a few batches of Italians for my friends and family for gifts for the holidays in a couple weeks. That will give me an opportunity to test a couple little variations and see what works best.

Thanks for the encouragement buddy. I hope you and your family are doing well. Rufus says hi too...Fiddy.