What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

After 5 days without water the girls were finally thirsty tonight. It's also 5 days post transplant and they are looking happier every day. I was temped to water this morning but I felt like there was a little water weight in the bottom of their new pots. The top dried out a couple days ago and the first inch of soil was nice and light and fluffy. The two Larry's are really filling out bushy. The GSC is almost as tall now but isn't looking to be as bushy and is stretchier. I really like the structure on the Larry's and I think they will end up with a bunch of colas.

They each got 1/2 gallon of water and I got a couple cups runoff from each so maybe a little less next time. I found that if I use 1 part of the natural spring water I have and 2 parts of the bottled water I got at wal mart the pH comes out to 6.8 on my strips without adding anything. I resisted the temptation to add any "supplements" to the water. I'm already tempted to love them to death.

I'm super excited to take take cuttings from them and try to get my first clones going. The girls have enough new growth to get 3 or 4 nodes off the top. I want plants 1&2 to get a couple more nodes so that I can leave at least two on each new stem above where I topped the first time. Maybe this weekend.

Plant 1 all new growth looking nice and green and it's growing quickly.

Plant 2 looking very similar to #1 and just about as big.

Plant 3 is the GSC and a week behind. Not yet topped and not as bushy as the Larry's.

This is the first time in this tent and with this light and I can say I'm super happy with both. I'm using a box fax for moving the air in there and I like the rectangular shape of the 2x4. Here is a group shot.

I was a little surprised to find roots coming out of the holes in the bottom of the pot only 5 days after transplant. I guess the roots are growing aggressively. I don't remember them ever coming out of the bottoms of the 14" pots I flowered in last time. Not sure if this is good or not but not much I can do about it. Only 5 days.

Fiddynut

Yeah
I had not heard of most of them either.I did order the 818 on recommendations of the seed bank all the others were samples I cloned. I just got in an order of 6 818s looking for another phenotypes and the 10 regular Larry's were samples from swerve at cali. I do.t know if it's ok to name the seed bank but when I pay the special shipping I get a nice bag and they never fail to arrive. Always shipped from a different European countries.
Evening Rodehazrd.
That's nice you've had good luck with that seed bank. I'm not sure about the rules but I've heard plenty of people mentioning what merchants they get seeds in the threads here. I think your just not suppose to advertise without permission or whatever. I've been reluctant to order from over seas because I've heard so many stories of people waiting forever for the shipments or not getting them at all. I've heard plenty of good stories like yours as well. I was more comfortable getting my first packs from a friend and they have been good to me so far. I have a feeling that a search for genetics will have me trying new sources at some point.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
these are looking great fiddy!
one thing to consider when you are about to cut is how the remaining plant will grow out
if you want them to grow taller with a couple showcase tops, i would cut the lower side branches and make clones from them
or by topping the first several nodes you will shorten the plant and open up the canopy so that more light gets down into the lower branches
this will give it a rounder, bushier profile
for these i would top the main stem with the idea of throwing the older plants into flower once the clones are well rooted
this will also let us work on staking/ training the plants because we will have several limbs per plant

those roots are mad! these things are really taking off!
is this the final container you plan on flowering in?

Fiddynut

these are looking great fiddy!
one thing to consider when you are about to cut is how the remaining plant will grow out
if you want them to grow taller with a couple showcase tops, i would cut the lower side branches and make clones from them
or by topping the first several nodes you will shorten the plant and open up the canopy so that more light gets down into the lower branches
this will give it a rounder, bushier profile
for these i would top the main stem with the idea of throwing the older plants into flower once the clones are well rooted
this will also let us work on staking/ training the plants because we will have several limbs per plant

those roots are mad! these things are really taking off!
is this the final container you plan on flowering in?
Good evening pop_rocks.

I think I want to take the tops off of 1&2 because I want more smaller colas. I think the structure of those 2 will be good for that. Even the bottom branches are just about as tall as the tops now and if I take more off they should be taller. I know the tops will catch back up but they should stay kind of close to each other and that should give me a good canopy. At least that is what I'm guessing and hoping for. I think the #3 will just be skinner and I'll shorten it up when I take the top few nodes off.

Im hoping that taking these cuts will slow down the vertical growth a bit. I think I need to flip them before they get too much taller or I could run out of head room. I am planing on as much stretch as I had last time and I was only a few inches from topped out.

I'm interested in what you have in mind with staking/training.

I can't believe these roots. They grew through about 5" of soil to get to the bottom so soon. Also the steams are way thicker than the last plants I grew last time. Their going to be tree trunks.

I'm going to transplant one more time into bigger pots. These are 10" that I would guess hold about 2.5 gallons and I'll go into 14" that hold about 5 gallons. I hope to do the final transplant right before flipping to 12/12.

Rodehazrd

Evening Rodehazrd.
That's nice you've had good luck with that seed bank. I'm not sure about the rules but I've heard plenty of people mentioning what merchants they get seeds in the threads here. I think your just not suppose to advertise without permission or whatever. I've been reluctant to order from over seas because I've heard so many stories of people waiting forever for the shipments or not getting them at all. I've heard plenty of good stories like yours as well. I was more comfortable getting my first packs from a friend and they have been good to me so far. I have a feeling that a search for genetics will have me trying new sources at some point.
Well t that was attitude I used they have a l o t of breeders they represent.I'm exploring the ace line with Bangi Haze and HSO's desert diesel now
I have to keep reminding myself these are salespeople when I reads the description. It's like the J Peterman catalog on Seinfed. But it looks like you may be running the Larry for a while,hope you find a keeper you like a n d one that likes you and your methods.

Rodehazrd

I chose the ace line because I read the posts by Dubi he's the breeder and is quite honest about problems people have. Sometimes he sends out new seeds if something goes wrong.I think they a r e in Spain but his english is good. I took his. Advice about planting and cloning by the moonsign and my last cuts were 15 of 16 good. He also says Time the harvest to occur just a after full moon for most swell. I started 1212 on my 818 with that in mind so I will chop on this super moon. So we'll see if that helped.

Rodehazrd

evening fellows!
those are some nice plants rode' what is that thing in the 2nd pic?
is it like a clothes rack or something?
it looks like its easy to move but gives you solid support for your netting

as far as flushing goes, i stop feeding my plants for the last couple weeks
whatever nutrient program im using i stop after about the 6-7 week of flower even if its jsut teas and sugars
ive heard you can feed them molasis up until the end but i just cut out all supplements and give them plain water
i dont really do a heavy flush when growing in soil but i tend to go light on nutrients

so many great strains out there!
what are some that you would consider keepers?
Thanks pop
Ms hazard and I went to Denver on vacation.we were two geezers in a candy sjop. Tried a lot out and we liked headband best. So I'm looking for a stout girl full of fire and lemon in my new 818s.she needs to clone well and take my occasional abuse without nanners and of course I want super yield.
Bangi I'm just looking for a clear energetic buzz for daytime activities. Hopefully clones ok Dubi says some of his phenotype don't. I started 5 . 4 cracked 3 came up. Still got 6 left.
Desert diesel I don't know , just looking.

Rodehazrd

Ok I know we have some top people watching this thread.so I want to ask how to deal with the need refresh air when it's freezing. I'm In an unheated bld. Chamber is well insulated and the lights keep me warm enough but fresh air is 40f often should I go for co2 and just recirculation? I just closed my exit vent and am just having recirculation now
I used a lot of propane last year and it was a warm winter.
Do I need to heat like a lung room and draw air from it?
When I run my torpedo in whole building I get condensation on the rafters so I'd like another solution

Fiddynut

Well t that was attitude I used they have a l o t of breeders they represent.I'm exploring the ace line with Bangi Haze and HSO's desert diesel now
I have to keep reminding myself these are salespeople when I reads the description. It's like the J Peterman catalog on Seinfed. But it looks like you may be running the Larry for a while,hope you find a keeper you like a n d one that likes you and your methods.
Good morning Rodehazrd.
Thank you for the recommendation. I've heard good things about ace seeds. I'm far more likely to to check them out after hearing that you have had good luck with them. I've herd the good and bad stories about dealing with seed banks and it sounds like they have their shit together. I'll defiantly check out some of their breeders.
If I am successful at cloning these girls and I find one or two pheno's that I like I'll probably try to run them back to back for at least a couple more runs to get a good feel for them. I think growing the same strain and keeping good note will help me learn how to keep them happy. I'm also hoping to learn how to best feed them and which supplements they like.
It seems weird that so many of these seeds are made here in the US and then shipped over seas only to get shipped back to the US when people order them. I don't have a problem with sending money to other country's but it seems like a lot of miles of travel for the seeds to wind up back in the US. We need the laws to change so the breeders can sell their seeds to anyone in to out of the country.
That's great that ace's breeder is active and willing to talk with growers running his gear. It must be a big help to be able to talk to someone who has grown out that exact strain a bunch of times. Sounds like his advise is good. I'm interested in the moon cycles you speak of. Are you saying a full moon has an effect on indoor grow or is this advise for outdoor?

Rodehazrd

On the moon signs it's either in or outside if you search there's a lot on this site.
I grew up dirt farming and granddaddy always tried to plant by the moon signs. Of course the best signs were good weather and the old tractor was running.
Briefly plant around the new moon but not on it. Harvest soon after full moon. Fruitful signs for clones fire signs to kill weeds.
Dubai says plant herbs in Libra which is not fruitful . It has to do with gravity change. Fiddy you read up and explain I'm confused

Rodehazrd

Hey pop rock
yes that's an old clothes rack. I have two so they got repurposed. I thin k I'll use the other on a bangi haze. Would be good on any sativa. It's my first try but it seems to be working out. I roll it back to water the others.

Fiddynut

On the moon signs it's either in or outside if you search there's a lot on this site.
I grew up dirt farming and granddaddy always tried to plant by the moon signs. Of course the best signs were good weather and the old tractor was running.
Briefly plant around the new moon but not on it. Harvest soon after full moon. Fruitful signs for clones fire signs to kill weeds.
Dubai says plant herbs in Libra which is not fruitful . It has to do with gravity change. Fiddy you read up and explain I'm confused
Good evening Rodehazrd.
Very interesting reading about moon cycles and stuff. Just a little basic reading so far but a lot of people seem to think using moon cycles to plant and harvest has helped their gardens. As the moon gets bigger it pulls the tide higher and also the water in the ground and nutrients. I have a lot more reading to do before I understand it but it sounds like it couldn't hurt and may help plants thrive if you pay attention to the cycles. It seems I learn new stuff every day from the people here on icmag. Thanks for the wisdom you are sharing.

That's great that you grew up farming. I live in Wisconsin which is a very agricultural state. Lots of corn and diary farms here. I've always enjoyed going to farmers markets and getting locally grown food right from the people who grow it. The farmers are the most committed people I've ever met. Some of the people I meet that grew up on farms are the hardest working people I know.

Rodehazrd

On moon phases I get the gravity part but the relationship to the constellation that part like Libra and Scorpio affecting growth.That kind of energy change is way more subtle and may require breaking out the old foil hat for me to understand.

Fiddynut

On moon phases I get the gravity part but the relationship to the constellation that part like Libra and Scorpio affecting growth.That kind of energy change is way more subtle and may require breaking out the old foil hat for me to understand.
Good morning Rodehazrd.
Sounds a lot like astrology to me. My mom was into that and has like 100 books about it. I don't understand it very well but a lot of people make lots of decisions based on the planets and all those phases and stuff. My mom studied it for a long time and I think it's not the easiest thing to learn. I was always skeptical about it but I try to be open minded. In any event it can't hurt and if there is a chance it could make a difference then why not.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
how much longer are you thinking about letting them veg for?
how many weeks has it been so far and about how long since you moved them to their new home?

i think you want to give them an additional two weeks in their final container before you change the cycles, so depending on what you had in mind, maybe start thinking about that

last time i think you did minimal training
by bending the plant we can shorten the canopy by a few inches but it is smart of you to factor in the stretch and err on the side of caution

so the past week has been HOT!
like 90' hot here on the coast!
the humidity has been in the 30-40
it jsut dosent feel like fall right now and we are almost to thanksgiving!
do you have big plans for thanksgiving, fiddy?
/this is actually one of my favorite holidays, and has been since i was a kid
i have this buddy who deep fries his turkey and he lets me drop on off the night before
mrs chicky and i will usually go for a bike ride in the morning and stop by his pad on the way home to pick up the bird

im super stoked and can not wait!

Fiddynut

how much longer are you thinking about letting them veg for?
how many weeks has it been so far and about how long since you moved them to their new home?

i think you want to give them an additional two weeks in their final container before you change the cycles, so depending on what you had in mind, maybe start thinking about that

last time i think you did minimal training
by bending the plant we can shorten the canopy by a few inches but it is smart of you to factor in the stretch and err on the side of caution

so the past week has been HOT!
like 90' hot here on the coast!
the humidity has been in the 30-40
it jsut dosent feel like fall right now and we are almost to thanksgiving!
do you have big plans for thanksgiving, fiddy?
/this is actually one of my favorite holidays, and has been since i was a kid
i have this buddy who deep fries his turkey and he lets me drop on off the night before
mrs chicky and i will usually go for a bike ride in the morning and stop by his pad on the way home to pick up the bird

im super stoked and can not wait!
I'm thinking only a couple more weeks veg max. I wish I had time to let the cuttings root but I want to keep things moving. I have bagseed to practice with if I need to. I have a couple mor runs of seeds on hand and will be getting more so it's not critical that these first try clones work out.

The girls are 5 weeks or so old and have been in the new pots for 7 days. I want to transplant into final pots as close to flip as possible. A full two weeks may not be possible but the way they took to the last transplant I don't think they will mind a shorter time from transplant to flip.

I do want to error on the side of caution for the stretch. My tent is about 7 feet but the hood is 10" plus hangers and I need to keep them around 16" above the canopy. When you add the pot hight to that it dosent leave a lot of space in between for the plant.

Weather has been unseasonably nice around here as well this week. Temps around 60 and nice and sunny. I think we got our first "freeze" last night. Looks like it's going to be nice next week as well. It feels like fall but not like winter yet. I enjoy thanksgiving and will spend it hanging out with family. I'm not the biggest Turkey fan but I do eat it on thanksgiving. I like a deep fried or a grilled turkey too. It's a nice day to pig out on food and watch football.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
ok lets start thinking about taking those cuts
you def want to give them some time to recover after taking the clones
this lets the plant recover from the shock and the hormones to redistribute
plus i think if you top too close to flip it might decrease yield, but that is just me thinking

so we have roughly four feet of space to flower in with all the other gear
in the first few weeks of flower we can lay a heavy bend in the tallest branches and lay them sideways
this will creats a little more headroom and a line of even sized buds
you can use a screen like the other guys or i can show you how to do it with twist ties like you get on produce or you can get a large spool pretty cheap (might eb a good idea if you want, it always helps having some twisty wire on hand)

yeah, i dont eat turkey any other time of year besides thanksgiving
thruth is im more about the sides tha the bird itself!
loves me some good stuffing and mashed potatoes
plus i like to boil down all the bones and stuff and make stock or something
this year im going to make a white bean soup

i think the temp is getting back to normal and it was not that bad on this mornings ride
im ready to throw up my feet tho and watch some football

Rodehazrd

yeah white bean soup.
I am very interested to see how the Larry Clones Pop . Do you Honor the moon when cutting and sprouting?

Fiddynut

ok lets start thinking about taking those cuts
you def want to give them some time to recover after taking the clones
this lets the plant recover from the shock and the hormones to redistribute
plus i think if you top too close to flip it might decrease yield, but that is just me thinking

so we have roughly four feet of space to flower in with all the other gear
in the first few weeks of flower we can lay a heavy bend in the tallest branches and lay them sideways
this will creats a little more headroom and a line of even sized buds
you can use a screen like the other guys or i can show you how to do it with twist ties like you get on produce or you can get a large spool pretty cheap (might eb a good idea if you want, it always helps having some twisty wire on hand)

yeah, i dont eat turkey any other time of year besides thanksgiving
thruth is im more about the sides tha the bird itself!
loves me some good stuffing and mashed potatoes
plus i like to boil down all the bones and stuff and make stock or something
this year im going to make a white bean soup

i think the temp is getting back to normal and it was not that bad on this mornings ride
im ready to throw up my feet tho and watch some football
Good afternoon pop_rocks.
The girls looked good so I went ahead and took the cuts this morning. Fingers crossed that the cuttings root and the girls don't get too stressed. I'll do an update about what I did and how it went later today.

I think I could get about 4' space but I'd have to zip tie my light to the top of my tent and get rid of the ratchet straps that its on. I'd like to shoot for a 42" max hight. I should have some pretty tall side branches since the (second for 1&2 and first for 3) topping. Should I be tying the side branches down and toward the outside yet or should I wait and see how quick the tops start catching back up? I'm too chicken to use a screen and want to be able to pull plants out to water and inspect. I think the 1&2 plants are going to be really bushy and the 3 not as much. It will be interesting to see how differently they grow out. I'll pick up some twist ties soon so I have them on hand.

I'm with you on the thanksgiving sides being better than the turkey. I could live on bread, stuffing, mashed and gravy. Puts me on the couch for a nap every time. White bean soup sounds good.
Glad it's cooling back off for you and I hope you had a good ride. I hope football was good to you. I can barely stand to watch what has become of my packers. We are spoiled fans and I think there is a whole generation of people who don't know what it's like when your team isn't winning the devision almost every year. Nothing lasts forever and I remember how they struggled in the 1980's and early 90's.

Fiddynut

yeah white bean soup.
I am very interested to see how the Larry Clones Pop . Do you Honor the moon when cutting and sprouting?
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
I'm interested to see how they do as well. This is my first try so we'll see. I'll be updating this thread with a post about taking the cuttings today and I'll keep up the progress reports.

I haven't planted according to moon cycles as of yet. I didn't really even know that that stuff pertained to indoor gardens until I read your post a few days ago. I am thinking of using that in the future though. After reading a couple articles about it I'm interested. I have to read more about it so that I can get a better idea of how it all works.

I just looked up today on a moon gardening calendar and it looks like I picked a bad day to take cuttings. It says today is a great day to harvest because of full moon but it's a bad day to prune or transplant. If I'm understanding this right I'd have to wait until after the new moon until the moon starts getting bigger again to get the benefits. Maybe better planing next time but I had to get them done this morning. At least im learning something.