What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's second run - Larry OG

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
evening fiddy
just got back from a ride and we had to use the lights from the jump
with the time change coming up that just the way its goign to be for a while
i actually like riding at night more than in the day but it takes a little getting used to
plus i was having some trouble with my gear so i will be taking apart a light later tonight and checking its connections
the air was crisp and cool tho and it def feels like winter is coming

yes, i use the ocean forest
i like to loosen it up with a little coco but the perlite will also workhow
i dont think it would be too hot for your girls, seedlings maybe but you prob wont see too much stress during transplant
how many times are you going to transplant them before their final container?
if you are worried, you could def mix the happy frog and ocean forest together in equal proportions just to ease them into their new medium but i would run straight ocean forest in the final container

let me know how things go and how the roots look
that indoor mountain bike park sounds rad!
even just riding around is fun but the challenge of trails and features is where mountain biking is at

looks like the cubs are going to take the series to seven!

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
long as their praying to the light that means theyr recovering. 7 is slightly hi but they seem to be responding decently. make sure you let the soil dry out and give them a good amount of nutes. do not transplant right now, not until they have recovered well...looking good tho don't get discouraged.

Fiddynut

evening fiddy
just got back from a ride and we had to use the lights from the jump
with the time change coming up that just the way its goign to be for a while
i actually like riding at night more than in the day but it takes a little getting used to
plus i was having some trouble with my gear so i will be taking apart a light later tonight and checking its connections
the air was crisp and cool tho and it def feels like winter is coming

yes, i use the ocean forest
i like to loosen it up with a little coco but the perlite will also workhow
i dont think it would be too hot for your girls, seedlings maybe but you prob wont see too much stress during transplant
how many times are you going to transplant them before their final container?
if you are worried, you could def mix the happy frog and ocean forest together in equal proportions just to ease them into their new medium but i would run straight ocean forest in the final container

let me know how things go and how the roots look
that indoor mountain bike park sounds rad!
even just riding around is fun but the challenge of trails and features is where mountain biking is at

looks like the cubs are going to take the series to seven!
Good evening pop_rocks.
I've never mountain biked in the dark. I bet that makes it just that much more exciting. I haven't seen how bright the newer bike lights are but I bet they kick ass. It's been at least 15 years since I had a light for my bike and if they have come as far as flashlights since then I can only guess they are blinding. Even with that I'm sure it takes getting use to. I hope you got that fixed. Loosing your light way out on a trail would make for a long ride back. Defiantly agree that nice cool air is the best for biking. It would have to get pretty cold to even just keep me from sweeting it up on rides. Weather has been unseasonably nice this week except today but that will change soon. Winter is coming like it or not.

The indoor bike place is pretty cool. It's a huge warehouse that has a really cool terrain park and lots of jumps and rhythm sections. It even has a backflip ramp into a foam pit. It was started buy a guy that got sick of not riding during the winter. It's a great idea and I'm lucky to have that as an option.

Your right the cubs won't go away. I thought after game 2 that this was going to be a full 7 games because they seemed really well matched. Cleveland looked great at wrigley but I had a feeling that the cubs would get that win in game 5. Should be a nice game tonight.

Fiddynut

long as their praying to the light that means theyr recovering. 7 is slightly hi but they seem to be responding decently. make sure you let the soil dry out and give them a good amount of nutes. do not transplant right now, not until they have recovered well...looking good tho don't get discouraged.
Good morning tleaf.
The pots were nice and dry this morning so I gave the plants their first feeding. I gave fox farms grow big N-P-K of 6-4-4 at 1/2 of recommended strength plus a little cal/mag since I'm now using bottled RO water. I didn't want to go above 1/2 strength on nutes since they are not use to them. I'll put up an update on this mornings watering and feed with other discoveries next.

I had herd the term "praying" before but didn't know what it meant so I looked it up. I found some differing opinions as to what causes it. Some say too dry an environment or salt buildup on roots causing the plant to want to get rid of water. Others say too much light and the leaves are trying to shade themselves. I raised the light a couple inches.

I'll cover this more in an update but I found a fungus gnat this morning in my sticky card trap. I had them last grow but didn't know what they were for sure. I didn't find any larva but will have a closer look. I took steps to prevent gnats and hope this doesn't become too big a problem.

Tri_Cho_Me

I always took the "praying" thing as a good thing. To me, it seems as though they display this behavior after a fresh drink and they're just really feeling good. They have a boost of confidence and they're just livin it up! Soaking in all your lights have to offer.

Just what I've noticed.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

I always took the "praying" thing as a good thing. To me, it seems as though they display this behavior after a fresh drink and they're just really feeling good. They have a boost of confidence and they're just livin it up! Soaking in all your lights have to offer.

Just what I've noticed.

Tri_Cho_Me
Good afternoon Tri_Cho_Me.
I've herd that praying is a sign of happy plants too. If that is the case maybe these girls are in better shape than I thought. I am looking forward to seeing how they respond to a feeding since this is their first. Thanks for the input and I'll be checking out your update soon.

Fiddynut

Today's update

Today's update

The pots were dry this morning and it was time for water and the girls first feeding. I mixed 1/2 gallons water with 3.5 ml of fox farms grow big and 2 ml GO cal/mag and about 1 ml pH up to get the pH to 6.8. I like to water in stages so I gave each one a cup of water three separate times for a total of 3 cups each. The girls were slightly droopy before feeding but looking better than they had been for a few days. The leave spots are still getting a little worse and all 3 girls now have some spots on the older fan leaves.

It look like my old friends the fungus gnats are back. I found one on a sticky card that I put out next to the plants. So far I only found the one and haven't seen any flyers around. I am prepared this time and just before watering I put 1/16th teaspoon of crushed mosquito dunks sprinkled on my soil. I watered in the dunks and that should kill any larva that is in my soil.
Here is a pic of the little flying fucker.

All in all things look to have improved slightly in the last week as far as plant health is concerned. I'm hoping a couple feedings will help get my girls healthy again. As soon as they look good I'll be transplanting them and will keep retreating the soil with mosquito dunks to prevent any further gnats.
Here are a couple group shots of the girls.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
looks like the cubs did it and the curse has been broken
that is cool that a guy who is into mountain biking started an indoor facility to ride during the winter
they also have these things called fat bikes, bicycles wiht extra large tires that are really popular wiht people who live in snowy areas

in the last shot you posted, the leaves are def not praying, at least not to any god i want to be a part of
im tihnking based on how fast they are drying out their pots that they are ready to move into bigger digs
this will also give them a lot more room to find food in their new environment and that can help if they are also looking for nutrients
how old are the plants again?
these are their original containers?

i still dont think feeding is the issue
with good fresh soil, you should not really have to feed a plant that size
are you using the ro water this last watering or still using the well water?

Fiddynut

looks like the cubs did it and the curse has been broken
that is cool that a guy who is into mountain biking started an indoor facility to ride during the winter
they also have these things called fat bikes, bicycles wiht extra large tires that are really popular wiht people who live in snowy areas

in the last shot you posted, the leaves are def not praying, at least not to any god i want to be a part of
im tihnking based on how fast they are drying out their pots that they are ready to move into bigger digs
this will also give them a lot more room to find food in their new environment and that can help if they are also looking for nutrients
how old are the plants again?
these are their original containers?

i still dont think feeding is the issue
with good fresh soil, you should not really have to feed a plant that size
are you using the ro water this last watering or still using the well water?
Good morning pop_rocks.
That was the best World Series game 7 I've ever seen. The cubs players defenatly deserve to be champions and so would Cleveland if it had gone that way. I'm not a fan of cubs fans but the players played their asses off and never gave up. Super exciting game and incredible series. Very classy on both sides.

I've seen the fat tire bikes around for a couple years now but haven't gotten to ride one. There are a few ski hills around that rent them in the winter I think. Ski hills are a joke here and have very little vertical but they are big enough to make some decent snowboard parks on. After growing up skiing and snowboarding around here growing up when I finally started traveling to the real mountains out west it was a whole new experience. Going to look into the fat tire bikes for sure.

The girls are looking better today than in the past few and I think they are ready for new pots. They should be dry tomorrow and as long as they still look good I'll put them in 10" pots with ocean forest. More about them in an update today.

The girls are about 4 weeks from breaking ground. They are in the 6" pots that they started in. I was going to go straight to 14" pots just before flower but I think that plan was not good. I now plan on 6" to 10" to 14" just before flower.

I'm really starting to think a lot of the issues I. Having the last week are related to the fungus gnats. I haven't found larva yet but will take some soil out and get it under the scope when I pot up. It just seems to make sense though. I wasn't having any problems until a week ago then leaf spots and other symptoms that are consistent with root damage.

Still using the bottled water but I'm hoping the water wasn't the issue and as soon as I got rid of the bugs I'm going to try the spring water again and see if it is part or all of the issue.

Fiddynut

Quick update

Quick update

Took a quick look at the plants this morning and a couple pics. I think they are looking better than they have in the last week or so. I was com pairing yesterday's picture and this mornings and things seem to be headed in the right direction. Growth is still slow but the 1&2 plants that were topped are starting to get new growth again.

The discovery of fungus gnats has me thinking that a lot of the problems in the last week are due to root damage from the larva eating the roots. I've spent hours reading threads and articles about the damage these fuckers cause. It seems that the younger the plants the more damage they do. Last time I had them much later in the grow so it make sense that the damage was less but maybe the premature yellowing of leaves was due to that in part. I've herd that the mosquito dunks work quickly to kill the larva. If the gnats are the problem I think the plant health will continue to improve as the larva dies off. I'm very excited to see how thing go in the next week or so.

Here is a group pic of them this morning.

GastroGrower

Yeah, I would say those plants are ready to transplant to a larger container. Once they settle in, you can start with extended dry periods to deal with any fungus gnats.

Rodehazrd

Hi Fiddy
I received a pack of Larry og with my last purchase from CC, I'm planning try them next so will be lurking and learning on this thread.I ran HSO OG outdoors and liked it but it was a wet year and had mold on the thick buds. So I'm looking forward to trying some OG indoors with more control
I ran the ocean forest last year and also had a lot of gnats I think they are already in the OF. I used gnat nix and had no other trouble.
After harvest a dry pot will let you pour it off the top and reuse it.
I also had spots like you describe but I think it was over feeding.
My current grow is a mix of 818 headband emdog, mango tango and original amnesia. Just started some bangi haze and desert diesel.

Fiddynut

Yeah, I would say those plants are ready to transplant to a larger container. Once they settle in, you can start with extended dry periods to deal with any fungus gnats.
Good morning GG.
I think 4 weeks from seed was too long for those little pots. I hadn't thought out that part of my plan very well. Another lesson learned. I did a transplant a couple days ago. I'll be putting up an update this morning.

My friends the fungus gnats are back but I'm ready this time with the mosquito dunks. You are right that I'll be able to let the top dry more in bigger pots and that should help too. This grow has already been more challenging than my first.

Fiddynut

Hi Fiddy
I received a pack of Larry og with my last purchase from CC, I'm planning try them next so will be lurking and learning on this thread.I ran HSO OG outdoors and liked it but it was a wet year and had mold on the thick buds. So I'm looking forward to trying some OG indoors with more control
I ran the ocean forest last year and also had a lot of gnats I think they are already in the OF. I used gnat nix and had no other trouble.
After harvest a dry pot will let you pour it off the top and reuse it.
I also had spots like you describe but I think it was over feeding.
My current grow is a mix of 818 headband emdog, mango tango and original amnesia. Just started some bangi haze and desert diesel.
Good morning Rodehazrd.
Thanks for checking out my grow.
I'm looking forward to growing these out and learning as I go. I hope I can give them what they need and allow them to flourish. The first 3 weeks from seed they were happy but have been up and down the last 10 days or so. I'm hoping that the recent transplant will get them happy again. This is my second grow so I'm going to be making mistakes and have made several already.

I had gnats on my first grow and didn't do much to treat them. I've herd good things about the BT in mosquito dunks but I haven't herd of gnat nix before. I just checked it out and sounds like a good solution. I've read about using sand as a top dressing but the gnat nix sounds like it would be even better. Nice that you can reuse it as well.

Sounds like you have some great strains in your garden. I need to get some grows under my belt and get my thumbs to green up and hopefully I'll be able to have a good list of completed grows.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

So I had this update done yesterday morning and was previewing it when my iPad battery ran out before I could hit submit. I type very slow so these take me some time. I didn't have time to rewrite it until now because I had to go outside to play.

I transplanted Saturday night into 10" pots. The girls were nice and dry and the time was right. I am also using a new soil blend with more nutes in it. To fight the gnats I used mosquito dunks in the soil and sprinkled on top and watered in. I took pics of the roots and noted that the pots were uniformly dry.

For the soil I got a bag of FFOF and mixed it 2 parts ocean forest with 1 part happy frog. Then I added an additional 10% vermiculite. I also sprinkled in some crushed up mosquito dunk for my gnat buddies. After mixing the soil seemed nice and light. I don't think drainage will be an issue.

The girls were nice and dry so I took a butter knife and gently went around the edges of the pot to loosen the rootball. They came out easily and the transplant went well. I gave them each about 6 cups of bottled water pH'd to 6.8. They were pretty droopy right after transplant but were looking much better by the following morning.

I haven't read much about root bound plants but did do a couple hours of reading after looking at the roots on my plants. I'm no expert but I think I had a lot of root mass getting in the air gap between my soil and the edges of my pots. I have a feeling that the roots were drying out before my soil was and that was why the girls were looking thirsty before the soil was dry. Passably also part of the reason for slowed growth the last week or so. I'm hoping that the fresh soil and larger environment will have these girls looking pretty and growing like crazy again soon.

Here are the roots plant by plant. Starting with plant #1 the roots are really circling the bottom of the pot. I didn't get a good side shot of these but here is what the bottom looked like.

Here is what #2 looks like. I got a better side shot of this one.

And here is #3. It's a week or so younger than the other 2 and already has roots circling around the bottom.

I'm not sure how rootbound these girls are but looking at some pictures I'd say they were ready for transplant. I was hoping to only transplant once from the 6" pots I started them in to the 14" ones I'd be finishing them in. I hadn't thought out a good potting strategy and will be doing things differently on my next grow. I will probably start in 4" pots then up to 8" and finish in the 14".

I'll be keeping a close eye on them in the next few days and I am hoping to see good things. This grow has already been more challenging than my first one. In the last 10 days I've seen signs of deficiencies, found fungus gnats, and have had slow growth and droopy plants. I hope I'm learning some things from this. I've done all I know to correct the issues that I'm seeing up to this point. Now I just have to chill and see how these girls react.

Here is a group shot in their new homes.

Tri_Cho_Me

So I had this update done yesterday morning and was previewing it when my iPad battery ran out before I could hit submit. I type very slow so these take me some time. I didn't have time to rewrite it until now because I had to go outside to play.

I transplanted Saturday night into 10" pots. The girls were nice and dry and the time was right. I am also using a new soil blend with more nutes in it. To fight the gnats I used mosquito dunks in the soil and sprinkled on top and watered in. I took pics of the roots and noted that the pots were uniformly dry.

For the soil I got a bag of FFOF and mixed it 2 parts ocean forest with 1 part happy frog. Then I added an additional 10% vermiculite. I also sprinkled in some crushed up mosquito dunk for my gnat buddies. After mixing the soil seemed nice and light. I don't think drainage will be an issue.

The girls were nice and dry so I took a butter knife and gently went around the edges of the pot to loosen the rootball. They came out easily and the transplant went well. I gave them each about 6 cups of bottled water pH'd to 6.8. They were pretty droopy right after transplant but were looking much better by the following morning.

I haven't read much about root bound plants but did do a couple hours of reading after looking at the roots on my plants. I'm no expert but I think I had a lot of root mass getting in the air gap between my soil and the edges of my pots. I have a feeling that the roots were drying out before my soil was and that was why the girls were looking thirsty before the soil was dry. Passably also part of the reason for slowed growth the last week or so. I'm hoping that the fresh soil and larger environment will have these girls looking pretty and growing like crazy again soon.

Here are the roots plant by plant. Starting with plant #1 the roots are really circling the bottom of the pot. I didn't get a good side shot of these but here is what the bottom looked like.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1669775&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Here is what #2 looks like. I got a better side shot of this one.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1669776&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

And here is #3. It's a week or so younger than the other 2 and already has roots circling around the bottom.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1669777&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I'm not sure how rootbound these girls are but looking at some pictures I'd say they were ready for transplant. I was hoping to only transplant once from the 6" pots I started them in to the 14" ones I'd be finishing them in. I hadn't thought out a good potting strategy and will be doing things differently on my next grow. I will probably start in 4" pots then up to 8" and finish in the 14".

I'll be keeping a close eye on them in the next few days and I am hoping to see good things. This grow has already been more challenging than my first one. In the last 10 days I've seen signs of deficiencies, found fungus gnats, and have had slow growth and droopy plants. I hope I'm learning some things from this. I've done all I know to correct the issues that I'm seeing up to this point. Now I just have to chill and see how these girls react.

Here is a group shot in their new homes.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69722&pictureid=1669778&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I think you will be surprised at how well they respond. I have only been doing this a short time, but both times I have re-potted, they responded tremendously.

Keep up the good growing!
Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

I think you will be surprised at how well they respond. I have only been doing this a short time, but both times I have re-potted, they responded tremendously.

Keep up the good growing!
Tri_Cho_Me
Good morning Tri_Cho_me.
I'm hoping your right about the bounce back. Last grow I remember getting great results after repotting. I just have to be patient now and watch them.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
mornin fuddy

those roots look great!

nice work there friend and hopefully they are taking to their new homes
you will want to up the volume of water the first few times just to make sure you saturate the entire soil mass and i would go wiht just plain water just to get everything nice and settled in

/you will prob see a burst of new growth once they get going and established in their new homes

hopefully we can start thinking about taking cuttings soon!

so how have the dunks worked at controlling your gnat problem?
/that sucks that you are having the problem again, this is soil you kept in your hot car for all those days?

keep it going man, the plants look good