What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Rodehazrd

yeah the pig matters but I think feed has a great influence. This one was heirloom called duckfoot no cloven hoof and ran in an oak.forest. this is all new stuff to me as a kid we just fed corn and scraps. The acorn Fed is really big in asia.
Rodehazrd

Good Aftermorning all.

As an FYI - my pooch is a Brittany and she's great, following you follow HER schedule.

06:00 - potty
07:45 - breakfast and potty
10:00 - play ball outside for 10 minutes and potty
12:00 - potty and sniff, sniff, sniff ... oh, did I mention time to smell the flowers ....
15:00 - play ball and, of course potty
18:45 - dinner, say hello to the pooch next door, and of course, potty
22:00 - potty

I made a great pasta sauce yesterday - the benefits of living in Sunnry FL (thank god I missed those Tornado's yesterday - 5 of them were in my immediate area), anyway, heirloom tomatoes that I've had for around 18 generations now (they're called Mr. Stripey - when they're ready they have red, yellow and green zebra stripes - pretty cool), added to garlic, onions and basil that I grew in my backyard with the help of mother nature. Sauteed it all in EVOO and added some 15 year old balsamic - just amazin - though I used store bought pasta.

A friend of mine harvested a few hogs around Thanksgiving time. Claims to have killed 3 of them with one shot (the sow and 2 piglets as the bullet he used pierced all 3). Not sure if he was full of shit or telling the truth, but it didn't matter - those wild boar ribs with a memphis type dry rub were just out of this fricken world. If it matters, he claims to have shot them in an orange grove in south central florida - had a farmer friend who was having his grove destroyed. I couldn't really taste any citrus flavor to them as we spiced them up real nice, but damn they were amazing.

Looking forward to more updates from y'all.

Oh - I've decided to goto Lost Wages, err, Las Vegas, for the superbowl this year.

Any thoughts on who to bet on ??????????

As the national enquirer always says, enquiring minds want to know.

Fiddynut

yeah the pig matters but I think feed has a great influence. This one was heirloom called duckfoot no cloven hoof and ran in an oak.forest. this is all new stuff to me as a kid we just fed corn and scraps. The acorn Fed is really big in asia.
Rodehazrd
Good evening Rodehazrd.
That makes sense that the feed is an important factor in the finished product. I've herd of duckfoot and it must be a treat. In my search for heirloom pork I've found it hard to come by around here. There are only a few farms that raise it to sell in the state. It's very expensive when compared to supermarket pork but I'm sure it's worth it. I'm thinking it will become more available as more people start demanding it. I try to avoid getting factory farm meat but it isn't easy sometimes.

Fiddynut

Good Aftermorning all.

As an FYI - my pooch is a Brittany and she's great, following you follow HER schedule.

06:00 - potty
07:45 - breakfast and potty
10:00 - play ball outside for 10 minutes and potty
12:00 - potty and sniff, sniff, sniff ... oh, did I mention time to smell the flowers ....
15:00 - play ball and, of course potty
18:45 - dinner, say hello to the pooch next door, and of course, potty
22:00 - potty

I made a great pasta sauce yesterday - the benefits of living in Sunnry FL (thank god I missed those Tornado's yesterday - 5 of them were in my immediate area), anyway, heirloom tomatoes that I've had for around 18 generations now (they're called Mr. Stripey - when they're ready they have red, yellow and green zebra stripes - pretty cool), added to garlic, onions and basil that I grew in my backyard with the help of mother nature. Sauteed it all in EVOO and added some 15 year old balsamic - just amazin - though I used store bought pasta.

A friend of mine harvested a few hogs around Thanksgiving time. Claims to have killed 3 of them with one shot (the sow and 2 piglets as the bullet he used pierced all 3). Not sure if he was full of shit or telling the truth, but it didn't matter - those wild boar ribs with a memphis type dry rub were just out of this fricken world. If it matters, he claims to have shot them in an orange grove in south central florida - had a farmer friend who was having his grove destroyed. I couldn't really taste any citrus flavor to them as we spiced them up real nice, but damn they were amazing.

Looking forward to more updates from y'all.
Good evening Sunny.
Sounds like your pooch has you pretty well trained to that schedule. Sometimes I wonder if our dogs own us more than we own them. Looks like she has a lot of fun sniffing and playing ball.
That's great the tornados missed you. Here in the Midwest we are under constant threat for them all summer. Really a helpless feeling when you are watching radar and they are headed your way and nothing you can do about it.
I tried to grow some mr stripey last year but failed like I always seem to with tomatoes. That's cool that you have the green thumb and are in a climate where you can grow them this time of year. So cool to make sauce from fresh tomatoes this time of year.
That hog hunt sounds like fun. Around here people only hunt deer and sometimes bear. I don't care for deer meat and I've no interest in killing a bear but a wild hog would be a different story. I've always told my friends I'd be down for a cow or pig hunt. Not many wild hogs around here but it sounds like there are plenty if I'd like to travel south.
As far as the Super Bowl I'd be tempted to put a buck or two on Atlanta. I don't watch a lot of afc games so I haven't seen the pats but I've watched Atlanta dismantle a couple teams the last couple weeks and they are tough. Don't take my betting advise though since I don't even know the line. Maybe put some of that cash to work at the poker table if you enjoy that.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
beef rouladen
yeah that the stuff!
a bunch of different flavors and it looks really nice when you slice through it too, kind of that spiral of meat and goodness!

im totally with you as far as simple food being the best
fresh honest ingredients will make the best meal

next tiem you make your carne asada put fresh oranges in it!
when i was a kid, this mexican family lived down the street
since they had kids of all ages soon i was best friends wiht their oldest boy and my sister was in tight wiht the girls
one thing "nana" would do was throw oranges into the marinate and it was some of the best meat marinade ever!
take a fresh orange and juice it, add the juice to the marinade and then throw in the sqwished halfs too ( the peel part)
some seasonings, garlic and onion and its on!

the fresh pig sounds awsome!
i remember growning up and feeding the pigs slop at my grandmas
i imagine an acorn fed beast would be off the wall, with its subtle nutty flavor as well as that fatty porky goodness.
how are you cooking that sucker?

yeah teh rain has been crazy and the damage from the storm has been really bad
flooding, trees down and a whole lot of trafic accidents
we have all been very lucky and nothing besides some minor flooding at moms house
its pouring right now as i type!
/goign to pull on the heavy coat and and fire up a fatty on the porch after i post!

re:culvers
its weird but for some reason there seems to be this line at AZ/NEV for a lot of good places
there is this joint called cracker barel that i love because: gravy!
good old timey food served in massive portions but i hear they wont step foot in California
legal stuff and what have you but it sucks alll the same
i hope cilvers makes the jump but it might just be one of those treats i ahev to leave the state for

as far as the foliar feedings go, its worth it but i understand your hesitation to try new stuff
hopefully being able to clone will help you get over that hump
once you ahev multiple copies of the same plant ( genetically speaking) its not near as scary
once you ahev it all down and have the room for it, i would totally encourage you to try some experiments using different methods
you are very good at taking advice and posting, so im sure we can think of some interesting stuff!

@sunnyfl
those tomatoes sound awsome!
my mom grows a lot of heirloom varieties and some are really neat!
not only do they coem in interesting colors/paterns but they taste different too
plus many are less acidic than store bought, something thats a problem for me soemtimes wiht fresh tomatoe
and you have to watch out for those wild pigs,man!
not only will they tear stuff up but they are mean micky fickies!
esp wiht their young, those girls dont mess around

Fiddynut

beef rouladen
yeah that the stuff!
a bunch of different flavors and it looks really nice when you slice through it too, kind of that spiral of meat and goodness!

im totally with you as far as simple food being the best
fresh honest ingredients will make the best meal

next tiem you make your carne asada put fresh oranges in it!
when i was a kid, this mexican family lived down the street
since they had kids of all ages soon i was best friends wiht their oldest boy and my sister was in tight wiht the girls
one thing "nana" would do was throw oranges into the marinate and it was some of the best meat marinade ever!
take a fresh orange and juice it, add the juice to the marinade and then throw in the sqwished halfs too ( the peel part)
some seasonings, garlic and onion and its on!

the fresh pig sounds awsome!
i remember growning up and feeding the pigs slop at my grandmas
i imagine an acorn fed beast would be off the wall, with its subtle nutty flavor as well as that fatty porky goodness.
how are you cooking that sucker?

yeah teh rain has been crazy and the damage from the storm has been really bad
flooding, trees down and a whole lot of trafic accidents
we have all been very lucky and nothing besides some minor flooding at moms house
its pouring right now as i type!
/goign to pull on the heavy coat and and fire up a fatty on the porch after i post!

re:culvers
its weird but for some reason there seems to be this line at AZ/NEV for a lot of good places
there is this joint called cracker barel that i love because: gravy!
good old timey food served in massive portions but i hear they wont step foot in California
legal stuff and what have you but it sucks alll the same
i hope cilvers makes the jump but it might just be one of those treats i ahev to leave the state for

as far as the foliar feedings go, its worth it but i understand your hesitation to try new stuff
hopefully being able to clone will help you get over that hump
once you ahev multiple copies of the same plant ( genetically speaking) its not near as scary
once you ahev it all down and have the room for it, i would totally encourage you to try some experiments using different methods
you are very good at taking advice and posting, so im sure we can think of some interesting stuff!

@sunnyfl
those tomatoes sound awsome!
my mom grows a lot of heirloom varieties and some are really neat!
not only do they coem in interesting colors/paterns but they taste different too
plus many are less acidic than store bought, something thats a problem for me soemtimes wiht fresh tomatoe
and you have to watch out for those wild pigs,man!
not only will they tear stuff up but they are mean micky fickies!
esp wiht their young, those girls dont mess around
Good evening pop_rocks.
I'm so glad you brought up the beef rouladen. It had been so long I almost forgot it existed. I will be making some soon, and also some beef roles with green olives but that will be different. Yep, food kept simple is great. Some things go so well together.
Thanks for the tip on the carne asada. My currant recipe for the marinade is fresh garlic, onions, lime juice (sometimes a chopped pepper) and some hot sauce that I put through the blender until smooth and marinade with. I bet the orange would add another level and some sweet to balance the acid. I'll defiantly be trying that next time.

Sounds like we are all having some crazy weather and I'm glad we are all safe and sound. Let's hope things settle down and all of out friends and loved ones are safe too. Its too early in the year to be having all these storms and crazy weather.

That sucks that you don't have cracker barrel either. They are some good home style cooking. I wonder why these places wouldn't want to take advantage of having the millions of customers in ca. Even if you don't have the Cracker Barrel I'd bet you have some nice small independent diner type places that are great at that type of food. I'm getting really hungry thinking about these places.

With seedlings going into veg over the next couple weeks I do want to experiment with some foliar feeding. I'll do some reading and searching the threads here on icmag to see what looks good. I'm thinking the window for a lot of foliar is until the buds get formed. I'm really freaked out about thinking of spraying anything on the buds..

I may make another attempt at tomatoes this summer. I think I've always used too small a pot and they get rootbound and don't do well. I also have a hard time keeping moisture in the pots. Even if I water in the morning they will dry out before I get home from work and get all wilted. They can't be happy about that and that's probably why the fruit isn't great and I usually kill them before getting much anyway.

Fiddynut

I'm jumping in on this thread, looking good!
Welcome Bobbo.
Glad to have you. We love our plants and I'm hoping this will be a good show. We also like to talk dogs, food or whatever is on our minds. I hope you and your plants are happy and healthy...Fiddy

Rodehazrd

Sunny I really get to craving a good tomato about now every year. Last winter I put a grape tomato I n my flower room it took a while to narrow it down but the ak47 next to it smelled and tasted like old meat. Same cut five feet away was fine. I'm pretty sure it was the tomato as a companion. So if you plan to have both put some mint between them.
Rodehazrd

Sunny I really get to craving a good tomato about now every year. Last winter I put a grape tomato I n my flower room it took a while to narrow it down but the ak47 next to it smelled and tasted like old meat. Same cut five feet away was fine. I'm pretty sure it was the tomato as a companion. So if you plan to have both put some mint between them.
Rodehazrd

Good to know. Haven't tried growing the two together yet as I'm still in that guerrilla growing stage and trying to learn more about moving things indoors soon (my guess is in 4 years Fla will go full rec) - so, well, relatively soon.

Harvested the last bunch of the mister stripey tomatoes this morning and took cuttings from the big producer and moved two smaller plants that I had kept in a shady part of the garden to the sunny so they start growing faster.

I need to work on instead of having 5 plants that come in at the same time with these tomatoes to dial back and have a run of 12 going, but with each generation started about 4 weeks after the previous one so that I have 3 in production at a time as I had so many come ripe lat week i had to trade away 10lbs of tomatoes that I couldn't use - though I was able to trade with a neighbor who raises chickens, so I got 10 dozen eggs out of the deal. Nothing like farm fresh eggs.

@fiddy
I use 5 gallon pots for mine and that's a perfect size (at least for the mister stripey). If you want to got with a heavier producer (early girls) I'd go with a 7 gallon pot, especially if you're having watering issues. I use the pots instead of the ground since it allows me to move them onto the porch if I need to. With the tornado that hit central florida a few days ago I was able to pick them up and move them onto my back porch which is protected from the wind, and when the hurricane blew through here in October i moved them inside the house before taking off for safer ground. If I end up getting a frost (none yet this year), I can easily bring them onto the porch as well.

Keeping them wet enough, even in 100+ temps, is doable, though I'm at 100% humidity when I get to 100 where you're probably at 2% humidity. Anywho - when the doge goes for her last run of the night they get watered, then they get watered again at the 10:00am doge play time. On your end you could try a 7am watering and a 5pm watering, or you can always do the old tobacco trick and put up a sunshade over the pots to keep the heat of the day off them. They'll get enough ambient light, and the amount of sun in your neck of the woods is going to make them so much sweeter than anything store bought.

There's also some tomatoes which are very, very heat tolerant. On my end I'm down to the mister stripey and every once in a while I throw a black cherry in, but just like weed, the perfect variety is out there for you.

I've got the stripey's dialed in but this works for most tomatoes.

**4 gallons generic potting soil from home depot, 1/2 gallon of perlite and 1/2 gallon earth worth castings. I run the dirt for 3 or 4 grows before I change out.

**Fertilizer during growth with 2 teaspoons of miracle grow in 3 gallons of water every other day, then water til soil thoroughly soaked.

**I also make sure I clear out the old, dead undergrowth. As soon as the leaves on the lower end of the plants start turning yellow or spot up, they're pruned off.

**Water on the off fertilizer days. When it's really hot in the summer, then water 2x a day.

Fiddynut

Good to know. Haven't tried growing the two together yet as I'm still in that guerrilla growing stage and trying to learn more about moving things indoors soon (my guess is in 4 years Fla will go full rec) - so, well, relatively soon.

Harvested the last bunch of the mister stripey tomatoes this morning and took cuttings from the big producer and moved two smaller plants that I had kept in a shady part of the garden to the sunny so they start growing faster.

I need to work on instead of having 5 plants that come in at the same time with these tomatoes to dial back and have a run of 12 going, but with each generation started about 4 weeks after the previous one so that I have 3 in production at a time as I had so many come ripe lat week i had to trade away 10lbs of tomatoes that I couldn't use - though I was able to trade with a neighbor who raises chickens, so I got 10 dozen eggs out of the deal. Nothing like farm fresh eggs.

@fiddy
I use 5 gallon pots for mine and that's a perfect size (at least for the mister stripey). If you want to got with a heavier producer (early girls) I'd go with a 7 gallon pot, especially if you're having watering issues. I use the pots instead of the ground since it allows me to move them onto the porch if I need to. With the tornado that hit central florida a few days ago I was able to pick them up and move them onto my back porch which is protected from the wind, and when the hurricane blew through here in October i moved them inside the house before taking off for safer ground. If I end up getting a frost (none yet this year), I can easily bring them onto the porch as well.

Keeping them wet enough, even in 100+ temps, is doable, though I'm at 100% humidity when I get to 100 where you're probably at 2% humidity. Anywho - when the doge goes for her last run of the night they get watered, then they get watered again at the 10:00am doge play time. On your end you could try a 7am watering and a 5pm watering, or you can always do the old tobacco trick and put up a sunshade over the pots to keep the heat of the day off them. They'll get enough ambient light, and the amount of sun in your neck of the woods is going to make them so much sweeter than anything store bought.

There's also some tomatoes which are very, very heat tolerant. On my end I'm down to the mister stripey and every once in a while I throw a black cherry in, but just like weed, the perfect variety is out there for you.

I've got the stripey's dialed in but this works for most tomatoes.

**4 gallons generic potting soil from home depot, 1/2 gallon of perlite and 1/2 gallon earth worth castings. I run the dirt for 3 or 4 grows before I change out.

**Fertilizer during growth with 2 teaspoons of miracle grow in 3 gallons of water every other day, then water til soil thoroughly soaked.

**I also make sure I clear out the old, dead undergrowth. As soon as the leaves on the lower end of the plants start turning yellow or spot up, they're pruned off.

**Water on the off fertilizer days. When it's really hot in the summer, then water 2x a day.
Good afternoon Sunny.
Thanks for the tomato tips. I think that if I put the effort into tomatoes that I put into my ganja I'd probably do ok. I haven't done much research and the few try's I've made have been kind of half assed. Sounds like I need bigger pots and I've under fed them badly. Maybe a pot with some type of water reservoir and a wick or something but if a little shade will work than that might be a good option. It is often humid in the summer but the 3-4 gallon pots I've used in the past will dry out while I'm at work even if I water right before I go. I like your idea to keep them in pots so that they can be moved when weather comes through. I've found my plants tipped over and laying on the ground a few times last year. Lots of things to stress them. I do love a good tomato and we only get them for a few weeks up here. All the greenhouse stuff at the store tastes like cardboard. I think I'll have another go at them next summer. Damn now I'm craving a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich. Thanks again for the tips. I'll do some looking into heat resistant varieties to try come summer.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Welcome Bobbo.
Glad to have you. We love our plants and I'm hoping this will be a good show. We also like to talk dogs, food or whatever is on our minds. I hope you and your plants are happy and healthy...Fiddy

Thanks for having me! I also love my plants and dog-and cats too! Yes thanks we're doing pretty good!

Rock on brother!

Fiddynut

Thanks for having me! I also love my plants and dog-and cats too! Yes thanks we're doing pretty good!

Rock on brother!
Good morning Bobbo4200.
Looking through your grow journals it's clear you give your plants plenty of love. Really some beautiful examples of some great genetics. My goal is to grow some frost monsters like that someday....Fiddy.

Fiddynut

you are well on your way,brother
Thanks pop_rocks.
I'm getting there but my younger more impatient self wishes I'd started doing this long ago. Just have to keep learning on the job and I think the results will be there. My autos are looking really good and should be done in 2-3 weeks. Gotta keep the tents full and the lights on.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings friends.
We are well into the "watching paint dry" phase of the seedlings. All 8 are doing well and are pretty close to one another size wise. They all came up within 12 hours of each other so it will be easy to see if any are quick growers or if I have any weaklings. I think the roots are doing well since they needed water only 3 days from their last watering. I gave them a little kelp solution with the water this time as well. I'm really looking forward to these plants getting a few leaves so they can take off and really start growing. Here are a couple pics as of this morning.

Not a whole lot of action to speak of but in a couple weeks these baby's will be a lot more fun to watch and talk about. Thanks for stoping by to have a look at this grow....Fiddy.

Good to see all 8 have popped.

The mister stripey cuttings I took on the 24th have already started popping roots.

Looking forward to Sunday - making a trip to one of my grows a few hours south of here to check on my other baby's. I was going to wait another 2 weeks as I like to leave mother nature alone (I planted on the solstice and was planning on letting them go 7 or 8 weeks), but the more I've thought of it the more worried I am about the storms that came through here last weekend. I need to see if I've been washed out or not. As it is I'm used to harvesting about 1 of 4 plants anyways, and I really don't need much except for my own occasional use since I've got the vape pen I use most of the time, but I have no desire to go out buying schwag so if I'd rather fix things up if there's been a problem now then wait. I just hate going out at all until things are ready - always worried about showing up at any of my grows but I'm a bit paranoid like that.

Fiddynut

Good to see all 8 have popped.

The mister stripey cuttings I took on the 24th have already started popping roots.

Looking forward to Sunday - making a trip to one of my grows a few hours south of here to check on my other baby's. I was going to wait another 2 weeks as I like to leave mother nature alone (I planted on the solstice and was planning on letting them go 7 or 8 weeks), but the more I've thought of it the more worried I am about the storms that came through here last weekend. I need to see if I've been washed out or not. As it is I'm used to harvesting about 1 of 4 plants anyways, and I really don't need much except for my own occasional use since I've got the vape pen I use most of the time, but I have no desire to go out buying schwag so if I'd rather fix things up if there's been a problem now then wait. I just hate going out at all until things are ready - always worried about showing up at any of my grows but I'm a bit paranoid like that.
Good afternoon Sunny.
Great news on the mr stripey. Popping roots after only a couple days is crazy, I wish ganja plants rooted that quick. Is that normal for tomatoes? I've only tried with cannabis and used rapid rooter plugs, rooting gel, and humidity dome. Is the process similar for tomatoes?

That must be kind of cool to have plants out there and just trust that Mother Nature is taking care of them for you. It would make me nervous as well to not be able to check on them daily. How do you keep them from being eaten by rabbits or other little animals? I'm thinking about doing some guerrilla grows with some auto flower plants this summer and need to read up on how to give my plants the best chance. I would need to protect them from animals and also need to water them if we get an extended dry spell. Maybe a little chicken wire cage when they are young and venerable. There are lots of parks and wide open lightly wooded areas close to me that I could hide a few plants in. I think the most intimidating part for me would be getting the harvest out of the park and home without being seen or questioned. I'm pretty sure that even if someone saw me going to the plants to water them I could say they weren't mine and I was just out for a hike and had water with me for consumption.

I'd think 1 out of 4 plants is a really nice return for a grow where you don't have a lot of hands on time with. Just plant a bunch of them and hope for the best. I suppose that putting plants in various separate locations is the way to go.

I hope your girls survived the storms and are thriving. Be carful when you check on them and if anyone shows up just deny everything is all you can do. Good luck and let us know how it went..Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Good afternoon Sunny.
Thanks for the tomato tips. I think that if I put the effort into tomatoes that I put into my ganja I'd probably do ok. I haven't done much research and the few try's I've made have been kind of half assed. Sounds like I need bigger pots and I've under fed them badly. Maybe a pot with some type of water reservoir and a wick or something but if a little shade will work than that might be a good option. It is often humid in the summer but the 3-4 gallon pots I've used in the past will dry out while I'm at work even if I water right before I go. I like your idea to keep them in pots so that they can be moved when weather comes through. I've found my plants tipped over and laying on the ground a few times last year. Lots of things to stress them. I do love a good tomato and we only get them for a few weeks up here. All the greenhouse stuff at the store tastes like cardboard. I think I'll have another go at them next summer. Damn now I'm craving a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich. Thanks again for the tips. I'll do some looking into heat resistant varieties to try come summer.
Fiddy
I have good luck with 30 gal tubs outdoors. about ten dollars at the depot. I put two 4inch sewer t connectors in the bottom of one tub and set another tub on top of the t's cut a hole in the middle of the top tub the size of a 6 inch net pot. pack the pot with rock wool and fill with soil. the bottom tub holds about four gallons of water i throw an air stone in the bottom to keep it sweet but outdoors you might not need to if it drys out some. I leave them for a week without worry.
Rodehazrd

Latest posts

Latest posts