What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fibers in pot strains

steve_reeves

Are there textile fibers in any of the pot strains you could get a grow store? Are the multipurpose strains (i.e. nepal, thailand) you read about in cannabis journals still out there? Would I be wasting my time looking into that?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
steve, im sure that hemp varieties are available for fiber, non landraces im sure.
however
altho i duno of any seed producers who breed for fiber, most for resin round here.... and bulk.... & flav

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Satori has very strong fibers and very strong stalks. :)

Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but that's what I know.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

IWanaGetHiSoHi

All cannabis has fibers worthy of making textiles. The problem lies with the labor involved in separating the bast from the pulp. It was not cost effective to continue using it once Cotton made its way into the Mainstream. It got pushed further down the line when synthetics like Orlon Rayon and Nylon came about.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
All cannabis has fibers worthy of making textiles. The problem lies with the labor involved in separating the bast from the pulp. It was not cost effective to continue using it once Cotton made its way into the Mainstream. It got pushed further down the line when synthetics like Orlon Rayon and Nylon came about.

Yeah... the invention of the cannabis gin was pushed to the side. Cannabis had already been made illegal by then.

70+ years of missed technological progress with hemp and its derivatives. A lot of catching up to do is in order.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

p.s. Yes... it's called a decorticator, not a cannabis gin. :)

purple_man

Veteran
if you are looking for fiber production plants, check with hemp societies in europe, there are quite a few different strains (some rather for seed/oil production, the others for fiber).

if i remember right finola is a strain used widespread ... to be honest i wouldn't bother with "drug cultivars" when it comes to fiber production. good luck :)

blessss

Latest posts

Latest posts