What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

feather meal

I'm wanting something that's a slow-release Nitrogen, I've read through a few pages, and there doesn't seem to be too much info about it.

What are your thoughts on this?

sativaman514

Nitrogen is present in almost every dry amendment, in you compost, and if you are doing something similar to no-till gardening, the old root system from previous crop will return N to the soil has it gets broke down by microbes and fungus.
Been growing in the same store bought soil, similar to FF OF, for over 2 years, re-amending it with dry amendments and EWC, minerals... doing my best to avoid anything high in N. Despite all my efforts, it is very common for me to see N toxicity.
I would recommend to avoid anything Nitrogen based. A good dry amendments mix will go a long way. Gaia Green power bloom is a complete, well proven formula, if it is available to you in the UK. Otherwise, Kelp meal or Alfala meal are great. Both will generate natural growth hormrones and PGR. They are also great because they provide organic K witch is rare.

MrFancyPlants

I'm wanting something that's a slow-release Nitrogen, I've read through a few pages, and there doesn't seem to be too much info about it.

What are your thoughts on this?
For smaller containers, I follow The Rev's TLO method of growing, and highly recommend his book (True Living Organics). He uses feather meal extensively in his amendment mix recipes. The idea behind his high-N mixes is supporting a healthy microbiome, which is quite N-hungry, and in turn facilitates the availability of nutrients in general to the plant.

GHornet

Feather meal as an organic fertiliser based on keratin (hair protein) is a well-known natural animal fertiliser in germany

Compared to other things, it is supposed to be quite mild and well tolerated by plants.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Your ability to push N is determined by your cation balance and levels.
This is why many people have success with Cal-Nit. Because it brings Ca with it

As for your question, there are slow-and-low release N sources and then there are hotter sources.
Feather meal goes pretty hard a few days in, before going low-n-slow. Since I like Blueberry and sativas, I dont go hard and fast with N, unless Im growing big plants outdoors.
For outdoors, I mix Alfalfa with Kelp, fish meal, and Neem meal.

For indoors, I like neem meal, crustacean mean, kelp, and composts.

I stay away from bird/bat guanos for a couple reasons.

Bio boy

Your ability to push N is determined by your cation balance and levels.
This is why many people have success with Cal-Nit. Because it brings Ca with it

As for your question, there are slow-and-low release N sources and then there are hotter sources.
Feather meal goes pretty hard a few days in, before going low-n-slow. Since I like Blueberry and sativas, I dont go hard and fast with N, unless Im growing big plants outdoors.
For outdoors, I mix Alfalfa with Kelp, fish meal, and Neem meal.

For indoors, I like neem meal, crustacean mean, kelp, and composts.

I stay away from bird/bat guanos for a couple reasons.
What reasons ? I really like guanos only grow indoors?
mid im running a balanced compost and the worm cast do I need to add any gypsum or ca atall really ?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
What reasons ? I really like guanos only grow indoors?
mid im running a balanced compost and the worm cast do I need to add any gypsum or ca atall really ?
Its real shitty for the farmers who have to go into the bat caves. They get sick as fuck. And it exposes us, and those who smoke your buds, to pathogenic bacteria.

And yeah, pretty much no matter what amendments you use, you'll need to puch Ca.

Bio boy

Its real shitty for the farmers who have to go into the bat caves. They get sick as fuck. And it exposes us, and those who smoke your buds, to pathogenic bacteria.

And yeah, pretty much no matter what amendments you use, you'll need to puch Ca.
got any links for that I’ve never heardbof that we have an entire brand here based on bat shit and the workers on guanokalong talk about them doing it safe ? I heard the microbes are good ??

Isn’t adding lime gona mess ph tho
many soil im using has a ph oh 6.5 and is based off sheeps wool so high ca my cast is 7 and my cow shit is 8 I feel the need to go down ph and lime wil boost it up lol

i mix them and set them with water and they buffer down to 6.5 -6.8 gypsum would drop it maybe but I fucked my last grow up with it I’m scared to add anything like that lol