What's new

Fan & Filter location?

Old Toker

Trying to keep as much head room as possible in my tent (80in) for a vertical grow. Do any of you mount your fan and filter outside your grow space?

I was thinking of using a 90 degree elbow at the top of my tent and then connecting the fan to that and pushing the air through the filter. Is there a better method or should I just accept the loss of head room and mount the filter/fan inside the tent?

My tent is in a lung room.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/ideas.

corky1968

Veteran
Normally near the roof is best. :tiphat:

Hot air rises and it's best to vent that out.

I imagine you could attach some ducting to a carbon filter and extractor fan outside your grow tent.

Old Toker

I imagine you could attach some ducting to a carbon filter and extractor fan outside your grow tent.
Thanks Corky.

That was my plan. Vent out of the top using a 90 degree elbow and into the fan/filter. Have you ever tried this?

corky1968

Veteran
I haven't tried this yet. But I know it will work.

If I were to do it I would attach a piece flexible ducting to the tent and make that go to a sealed box.
Inside this sealed box, I would but my carbon filter attached to an inline exhaust fan they way they
normally are setup. Like in this picture below and then exhaust the air from the fan outside this little
sealed box. So basically you make a small box and put the fan and filter inside and it has a duct inlet
attached to your grow tent which the fan unit draws stinky air from and a duct outlet that the fan
sends clean air out of the sealed box.

virtualsun_filter_fan_banner.png

BTW: It's best to pull the air thru the carbon filter vs pushing it thru so I've read.

Let me know if this makes any sense. :tiphat:

Old Toker

Thanks again Corky. Yes it makes sense....but seems like a lot of work. I think before I built a box outside the tent, I'd just bite the bullet and mount the filter inside the room.

I saw a Phesh video that claimed their filters could be used either way....push or pull. My filter and fan are oversized for my tent so in "theory" I should be able to just push the air through the filter. I'm sure someone much smarter and more experienced than I must have tried this approach to gain more space in their grow space. Anyone?

Thanks again Corky for the suggestion and good luck with your grows.

corky1968

Veteran
That will work too if you just mount the filtration unit inside the room and save you a lot of problems.

I saw that Phresh video also. I like their Hyperfan and want their stealth model.

:tiphat:

Old Toker

Yah.....I ended up getting the non stealth model. Hyper Fan 8" 710 CFM Digital Mixed Flow Fan and 8" Phesh filter. Sure would like to get it outside of the tent though.

Thanks again brother for the help and responding to my questions.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
You could always mount the fan and filter on the top back corner of the tent. That way you wouldn't lose any of the vertical space in the center of the tent. You could even mount the trellis so it goes over the fan and filter, and you wouldn't lose any space to it. Might not move air as much as you need once the plants get tall.

EDIT: I have also done like you suggested and had the fan and filter sitting on top of the tent. Pulling air thru the tent and pushing it thru the filter. Worked well enough for me. That set-up though I was only cooling about 750w of fluorescent/LED lighting, in a room that never got above 75f.

Old Toker

Thank you DTOG! I think I will try mounting the fan/filter inside at the top back corner of the tent...at least for the first grow. I appreciate the suggestion.

Latest posts

Latest posts