What's new

Ez cloner help

hyposomniac

Veteran
Been using a 16 site ez cloner and its working well. However I have lost a couple clones in the transition to soil. Share tips and advice here, thanks. For example, how long do you let your roots get

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
There are a lot of different factors pertaining to cloning success. The best way to know how to clone is by trial and error. When you have two cells die and the rest grow "well" there's a learning opportunity for you. Just from my observation, I would say that your problem was from planting those two failed clones too deep in the soil.

If a plant has a tender herbaceous stem and is planted below the ground the stem will produce roots. However, if a plant has a wood stem and is planted too deep it is easy to overwater or cut off the oxygen from the roots killing the clone. You have the answers in your hand.

KidCharlemagne

Do not let your roots get too long before transplanting into soil, for several reasons - the roots developed in water tend to be long individuals with little secondary or tertiary rooting, putting them in when they're shorter allows the plant to put that growth into roots which can penetrate the soil and help support the plant. When you've transplanted long roots into a hole in soil not only are those roots not able to be utilized for stability, they're more likely to get entangled with each other. Too soon however and you'll immediately know it - curled leaves as the plant struggles to transpire, or worse, wilting.