What's new

Exogenous Methionine as a Nutrient Supplement

shaggyballs

Veteran
Anyone using this to help rooting or ripen buds?
What is a good PPM to start with?
http://www.google.com/imgres?client...bnh=119&tbnw=249&start=17&ndsp=17&tx=48&ty=63

images

DL-Methionine Amino Acid Powder in plants is linked to the regulation of the aspartate pathway and is important for plant growth.

Methionine, lysine and threonine are essential amino acids required in the diets of non-ruminant animals.

Major crops, such as corn, soybean and rice, are low in one or more of these amino acids. Currently, these amino acids are supplemented to animal feed to allow optimal growth a costly process for farmers and consumer; therefore there is a great deal of interest in increasing essential amino acids in crops.
The metabolism of methionine in plants is linked to the regulation of the aspartate pathway and is important for plant growth. In recent years, several key steps of this pathway have been identified at the molecular level, enabling us to initiate transgenic approaches to engineer the methionine content of plants.
DL-Methionine Amino Acid Powder is suitable for preparation of fertilizer blends and for production of liquid fertilizers.

The advantages of DL-Methionine Amino Acid Powder :

Fully water-soluble
DL-methionine is sold as a pure powder form food grade Usp.
This amino acid is also used by plants for synthesis of ethylene.
Methionine Amino Acid is an essential amino acid.
Safe for plants and humans.
Suitable for the root drenching, foliar application and production of fertilizer blends and nutrient solutions

Benefits of DL-Methionine Amino Acid Powder:

It indicates mRNA's coding region where translation into protein begins.
Methionine is in plants and microorganisms and is synthesized via a pathway that uses both aspartic acid and cysteine.

Homoserine converts to O-succinyl homoserine, which then reacts with cysteine to produce cystathionine, which is cleaved to yield homocysteine.
First, aspartic acid is converted via β-aspartyl-semialdehyde into homoserine, introducing the pair of contiguous methylene groups.
Together with cysteine, methionine is one of two sulfur-containing proteinogenic amino acids. Its derivative S-adenosyl methionine (SAM) serves as a methyl donor.
Together with cysteine, methionine is one of two sulfur-containing proteinogenic amino acids. Its derivative S-adenosyl methionine (SAM) serves as a methyl donor.

This amino acid is also used by plants for synthesis of ethylene. The process is known as the Yang Cycle or the methionine cycle.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Good question!
I believe DL is both left and right handed....not sure !
Anyone know the answer to this question?
Shag

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Correct, DL is a 50:50 mixture of both.

Usually, puting substrates into a cycle doesn't do much if the organism doesn't run low on that one because the enzymes afterwards (here the ACC thingies) are tightly regulated and regulate themselfs the turnover. Therefore, if you want to boost the ethylen output, you'd have to increase the enzymatic activity (either via augmenting protein expression or by application of allosteric activators or alike). It is like a car: refuel helps to make the car run when the tank's empty but putting more fuel into the tank than it was designed for won't make the car run faster. Only Xzibit could help by pimping the motor ;) .
[Legend: fuel = methionine, tank = cycle, motor = enzymes, speed = ethylene, Xzibit = 'enzyme activator']
Besides:
- ACC activators would be auxins (IAA) and cytokinins.

- SAM (in the picture of post #1) is the main factor for methylation reactions (an important metabolic process in plants) and widely used in plants. This means that SAM usually donates the methyl on its sulfur and not the ethylene precursor ACC as depicted in that picture. SAM is also highly reactive and has a short half live (biological accumulation is not possible).
- Ethylen formation from ACC is counteracted by a second ACC break down process to avoid overproduciton via high SAM levels.
-> IMHO Feeding methionine will not increase ethylene. Better use ethephon for that reason.

AFAIK D-amino acids aren't actively transported into the roots but may passively diffuse into the plants (root or foliar application).

Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Thanks again OO
D-amino acids aren't actively transported into the roots but may passively diffuse into the plants (root or foliar application).
That is a help full fact I will add to my notes!!!!!
I need to put you on retainer(like a lawyer)!!!!!!!!!!

After reading you post and studying up on it!
It would seem ethephon is a less complicated way to do the same job.
Now is there any benefit to adding DL-methionine in other ways to my plants (already purchased) or was this just a waste of my hard earned dollar????????
Thanks for your time and Patience!!!!!!!!!:)
Shag

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Naw, methionine is an essential amino acid for plants. They can alway need a lil supplementation ;) .

D-amino acids are very rare in nature and some can become toxic when applied too long or too concentrated because most organisms don't know what to do with it ;) .

Just tried to find ethephon here around but no luck so far ;( .

BTW have you seen the post with ethephon to reverse males into females? COOL!

shaggyballs

Veteran
Naw, methionine is an essential amino acid for plants. They can alway need a lil supplementation ;) .

Thanks,that was my line o thought also.
Could you recommend a PPM starting point for trials?

D-amino acids are very rare in nature and some can become toxic when applied too long or too concentrated because most organisms don't know what to do with it ;) .

I will keep my eyes open for toxic effects!!!!
Just tried to find ethephon here around but no luck so far ;( .

ethephon can be found but you need a commercial license or what ever.

BTW have you seen the post with ethephon to reverse males into females? COOL!

Ya mean this'n here??
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275894

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Jep, that stuff... You don't know by any chance if I'd need a licence in Europe? LoL
Ain't no idea bout the ppm, sorry. But I suppose they tolerate quite a bit. Obviously, the faster and bigger the plant grows, the more it can handle ;) .
Concerning problems with D-amino acids (I can only speak for animals/humans): When you start seeing them, a good part is already irreversible or takes quite some time to normalise.

shaggyballs

Veteran
I think I said that wrong!
I don't really know if I would need a license ,but it is very hard to buy from Big Chem.
search Ethrel - Bayer CropScience.

I know you want the powder like I do but.....
I called bayer and they no longer handle the powder and referred me to another co.
They then transfered me to the sales rep who was out of town.
I left a message but never got a return call so I figure he was looking for bigger fish!!!

As a last resort:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...oken=65C577FE9F4BCCB29A51F1C5743EBBB833ACE0FE
or
Monterey Florel Fruit Tree & Shrub Growth Regulator.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271305553897?lpid=82
Mind you that florel is not labeled for certain crops.

To all:
Do your homework!!!!!!!!!!
Ethephon
shag

Latest posts

Latest posts