What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EU to ban fluorescent lights in 2023 (CFL/T5/T8)

goingrey

Due to the mercury in them, fluorescent lights are to be banned in the EU August this year as part of the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS).

There will still be an exemption for lamps meant for "special purposes" for 3-5 years. Not sure if this covers grow lights.

If this is a technology you use and also plan to in the future, it might be a good idea to stock up.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Cheers for the heads up. I use T5 for UV tubes. Best stock up on tubes this year.

Ca++

UV lamps will likely get around the ban, as there is no suitable replacement. While LED lighting is used in many fish tanks, the poor availability of UV LEDs means a small flo can be found in many LED fittings. Many germicidal lamps give off levels that LED can't realistically produce. Things like water treatment on large scale, simply need flos. I'm not sure 3-5 years is a realistic goal to replace them, with UV getting so little development for the LED market. Though I have seen LEDs that can make the right light, the output was a joke, but the cost wasn't funny at all.