What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electrocuted by a 28 W T5

tokatronic

Today I nearly got electrocuted by a T5 for my tomato plants (wife issue).

At the hardware store they had these test tubes in the shelves with the lights on, and I picked one up to look at it. In the middle of a sentence to my buddy (something like: "This should be sufficient for the seedlings") I got a shock of elecricity and I shouted and dropped the T5. The hardy little bugger didn't mind the fall.

So on my long finger I have what seems to be a entry point with hardened skin, somewhat like a wart. And half a cm away a smaller one, wich I like to think of as the exit point.

I decided not to buy the cheap china shit, and went for a better brand. Anyone else experienced this?

Motta-Tokka

Did you touch the end piece where it goes to the light? Meaning the part where the bulbs touch the socket. If not that is pretty odd.

Iraganji

There are aquarium grade sockets that are tight as a frogs ass if you wanted to diy with a workhorse ballast.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
i electrocuted myself the other day with a 55w t5. I was trying to replaced a bad bulb. just an entry burn, no exit

whodair

Veteran
thats why i wear resin mitts...and inhale 28 watts !!

picture.php

woolybear

Veteran
I zapped myself the other day when I was building my new LED strip. Only 35 watts, pretty crazy as its only the second time in my life I'd been zapped!

busty

I zapped myself growing up while replacing a flouro at work. Knocked me on my butt and startled me, but I definitely didn't have entrance and exit wounds...

midgethorse

When I was just a lad, I stuck my thumb in an empty lamp socket, My balls still have a "slight" twitch...
Midgethorse

tokatronic

Hehe, good to hear I'm not the only one... feared to hear "what kind of retard gets elecrocuted by a freaking T5" :p

:-(

I burned the top of my hand on my HPS. Hurts like a mofo. Dangerous hobby. KEEP EM GREEN FOLKS.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What kind of retard gets electrocuted by a freaking T5 ?

LOL J/K i had to say it :wave:

P

Puddin'tane

thats nothin, I pissed on an electric fence once. ONCE.
lesson learned, never piss in a field in the dark.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
It just sounds like you got shocked by an ungrounded light. It's trivially easy for cheaper lights to have cut wiring due to unfinished internal edges (hey, keeping your steel from being razor sharp costs pennies, we can't afford that). If it's not certified by whatever governing body is in charge of your local electric safety give it a pass.

If it has every certification labeling you can imagine and isn't a major brand name? Give it a pass. I've seen counterfeit certifications, but normally they go a little apesh*t and just keep adding them from what I've seen.

I have a 250 watt hps moving back and forth over my moms and once I was taking cuttings and stood up and broke the bulb with my bald head. Shocked/burned the shit out of me.

Latest posts

Latest posts