What's new

Electrical safety question

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
What kind of trouble can I get myself into if I replace a 12v PC fan being used for cooling my DIY frankenballast, with a 120v PC type fan hardwired to the power leads inside the ballast case?

gdbud

if you need to ask that question then I would not try it.
But if you know the amperage draw of the ballast and the fan and that the size of the wire leading to the ballast will handle the total load then go ahead.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
lol...Thanks, but that is why I asked. Although, I know very little about electricity, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. But, I don't know any electricians, personally, worth their salt that also know I smoke.

I understand the basics of amperage draw, what I don't know is how will the draw the fans demand at start-up also affect the ballast and/or ignitor and/or capacitor demands at start-up. As it is, the PC fans run 24/7 while growing a crop. The 12v PC fans work fine, but hardwiring a 120v fan would make for a neater package and only run when the ballasts fire up.

Be that as it may, I'm using two Advance 250w HPS core and coil ballasts, 12/3 stranded wire, on a fifteen amp circuit. The circuit is not dedicated, but there is only about two additional amps being used at any one time.

Thanks, again!

gdbud

I'm no electrician, But I did stay at a Holliday Express last night! and I smoke.

Your two 250w ballasts combined should pull around 5 to 5 1/2 amps and I would be supprised if the fan pulls 1 amp at start up.
Your 12 gage wire is good for 15 amps so you will be good.

Just make sure that you unplug the ballast first then discharge the capacitors before working on your frankenballast.

Latest posts

Latest posts