What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ECSD x Appalachia In A Crawlspace

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Fuck it. Ended up sticking with the youngerns that have been veggin' this whole time. I didn't want to lose out on all that time invested, especially for not having sampled any of the smoke yet. I chopped the ADs last night on Day 77, let's see how she smokes!...In about two weeks time. Prepare yourself for a shitheap of photos, several posts worth at least. If that's not your thing then go ahead and hit back on your browser, unless you were already wondering what the hell took this page so long to load.

Starting off with bulb 2 that has the ADs and the Hemlocks around it. The Hemlocks are being rockstars right now, just starting to swell and get the frost mojo going.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
G's up
picture.php

Hoes down
picture.php

This round I have 4 of the #1 cuts that I managed to clone and I also snagged two 5 gallon geopots. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to do a side by side comparison of the geopots versus traditional #5 plastic pots. The geopots are sturdy, thick materical with convenient handles. I'm not crazy about the square shape as it made it a little interesting to fit onto my water catchers but I squished them into place. Right off the bat I have to say that the geopots hold WAYYY more soil than the #5 pot would so that right there might not make it a fair comparison but we'll see. Thanks random cute girl working the booth at the cannabis cup!

picture.php

Lastly we have the Appalachia F3s already starting to look antsy to get out of the solo cups. Tough shit! Y'all got to show me what kind of heat you're packin' before you get the 1 gallon treatment! Shouldn't be too much longer though hopefully. If you pay attention you can already notice the phenotypical differences. A couple of green crack looking ones, with some chem dawg looking ones as well. Then of course the hybrid mish mash wildcards.

picture.php

Milestone completed. :dance013:

S

SooperSmurph

Sorry I didn't answer your question right away, sometimes I just get... lost.

When selecting phenotypes, it's almost always best to select for general health and vigor, rather than any other trait. Why? The special qualities you may be seeking such as a smell may still be present in that plant's genes, and over time, especially if you intend to breed the plant, these genes will be able to express themselves in offspring from an overall healthier parent.

If you're just looking for one to keep as a clone mother, select the one you like the most, because it's all you'll ever have of that strain, so you may as well keep the idealized version of it.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Sorry I didn't answer your question right away, sometimes I just get... lost.

When selecting phenotypes, it's almost always best to select for general health and vigor, rather than any other trait. Why? The special qualities you may be seeking such as a smell may still be present in that plant's genes, and over time, especially if you intend to breed the plant, these genes will be able to express themselves in offspring from an overall healthier parent.

If you're just looking for one to keep as a clone mother, select the one you like the most, because it's all you'll ever have of that strain, so you may as well keep the idealized version of it.

Thanks for checking back in again smurph! :yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The next round of bright young minds, all ADs. Mainly cut #1 with a #6 and #2 again. The plants are all around the same height as I kept topping the diesel dominant #2 and #6 to keep them in line. I will keep pinching and topping as necessary to have them bush out instead of up.

picture.php

picture.php

Forgot to mention that I finally tried out my new to me electronic ballasts. They worked and it was interesting the way they fired up (Solis Teks) I had forgotten about their sequential firing feature until I heard the power controller flip on and no lights came on for a second or two. Suddenly one popped on with the other firing up after another second or two delay. Definitely a nifty feature so as not to put the whole electrical load on the circuit all at once. After firing the bulbs though there was the wierdest high frequency wailing/buzzing coming from the bulbs. I remember reading about other people's experience with this. I didn't let this go on too long as it sounded unnatural (Ushio bulbs). I instead plugged the old magnetic ballasts back in and will order some digital compatible bulbs instead when the time comes.

:yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
In an effort to save these tasty Hemlocks I was hoping to get some feedback from y'all about a last ditch effort to try and salvage these clones. They have been in the bubble cloner for two weeks today with no signs of any roots yet. Granted, they were taken off of flowering plants but with the track record I've had as of late I don't won't to keep all my eggs in that basket. Should I bite the bullet and wait it out with the bubble cloner or scrap it and try and go for rapid rooters and a humidity dome? I was wondering if it was feasible to pull them out of the cloner as is, dip them in rooting hormone like they were fresh cuts, and then carry on like that?

Can I get some feedback? I don't want to lose these flavors if at all possible.

Thanks!

If you're not seeing any slime and they seem healthy, keep them in the bubbler. Imo they have a better chance in there. Cuts taken from flowering plants take longer to root. I've had flowering cuts take over a month to root and come out just fine.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
If you're not seeing any slime and they seem healthy, keep them in the bubbler. Imo they have a better chance in there. Cuts taken from flowering plants take longer to root. I've had flowering cuts take over a month to root and come out just fine.

The slimes waxes and wanes with the clear rez that I put in there. The larger leaves are starting to yellow and get crispy.

Thanks for the feedback FunkJungle. Anybody else have experience with this?

If you can post some pics of your cuts tops and bottoms I could give u a better idea of where you stand. Any slime is not good I would up the dose a little. You want consistent days with no slime for roots to start growing.

If it keeps coming back you may need to take fresh cuts even with plants pretty far along in flower I've successfully rooted several times. Just take from the bottom where the flowers aren't as developed. Also if possible ones with stems that are still soft and flexible rather than woody. Personally I would take new cuts anyway just to be safe. If the ones you have are too infected with slime it will just keep coming back even with the clear rez.

Same thing happened to me when I started using it. Slime kept coming back no matter how much I used, so I made a new bubbler and put fresh cuts in using clear rez from the start. No problems since. A few slime infested ones made it but most I just tossed. Depends how chronic it is.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
If you can post some pics of your cuts tops and bottoms I could give u a better idea of where you stand. Any slime is not good I would up the dose a little. You want consistent days with no slime for roots to start growing.

If it keeps coming back you may need to take fresh cuts even with plants pretty far along in flower I've successfully rooted several times. Just take from the bottom where the flowers aren't as developed. Also if possible ones with stems that are still soft and flexible rather than woody. Personally I would take new cuts anyway just to be safe. If the ones you have are too infected with slime it will just keep coming back even with the clear rez.

Same thing happened to me when I started using it. Slime kept coming back no matter how much I used, so I made a new bubbler and put fresh cuts in using clear rez from the start. No problems since. A few slime infested ones made it but most I just tossed. Depends how chronic it is.

I'll post some pictures later tonight. The slime is a pain in the dick and keeps rearing its head. The clear rez will put it in check but it lingers. The leaves on the cuts are beginning to yellow and wither away. The stems at the cut are discolored and appear to be bleaching to a certain extent. The pessimist in me really doesn't see this round pulling through but who knows? I know that I'm about 95% sure I'm going to scrap this thing and go the jiffy cube/dome route again.

Thanks for sticking with it Funk and I appreciate your feedback.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
This party is winding down now with the ADs coming down. It's a shame but I've hardly had the time to get around to trimming them up. One at a time it seems. I've got #2 and #3 trimmed up and in jars now. I've got the rubbermaid bin with my old soil cooking as the table. It's serves as a good one too at a decent height for the crawl.

picture.php

Next round of littleuns coming up. I hit them with some cal/mag on top of what they usually get and they are already looking better. They get pissed 'cause I have to keep them in the solo cups til they sex. Soon as that happens they are potted up to the gallon containers and then everybody is happy. You can also see the cuts in the bubble cloner in the background looking sad and useless. ;_; Going back to the dome methinks.

picture.php

picture.php

They were shifted around and some potted up after these two pictures were taken.

Here's a picture of the #3 in its jar, not a great picture but you get the idea.

picture.php

I'm gonna try to get the rest trimmed up and taken care of this weekend.

:yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Holy shit I've been busy lately. Had to get back in here and update before much more time goes by. All the first round draft of the ADs are down and trimmed up. They took forever to dry out because I didn't think about it and watered them a day or so before chopping them. They are going to be heading to jars soon for curing. I've already got into everything though and it's all stoney for sure. Smells and flavors are still coming in but right now the tastiest is #4, there are hints of lemon that I'm always on the lookout for.

I finally bailed on the bubble cloner as it wasn't getting anywhere and I was tired of the gimmicks in the closet. Got a humidity dome and jiffy cubes. I threw the same old cuts of the Hemlocks that hadn't kicked the bucket yet. A #2 seems like's it's rooting but I haven't seen signs from any of the others yet. The original cut of the #2 is raging out in a gallon pot right now and needs to get potted up and flowered. Same goes for some #4 and 5 straggler cuts from the original ADs. Otherwise the App F3s are all sexed for the most part and in gallon pots ready for 5 gallons and flower time as well. The next two pictures are from 5/21.

picture.php

picture.php

Some tasties

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The ants are still around and haven't payed any attention to the Terro ant traps that I put all over the crawlspace. I just smash any I see with my finger as I moving around the plants. The other flying insects are either Fungus Gnats or worse yet, Root Aphids. I see the ants carrying around the other critters every now and then so I don't know if that is "farming" or whatever but they still look like fungus gnats to me. While watering about a week or so ago I hit the plants with a mix of emulsified neem oil and SNS 203. It didn't seem to do anything from what I can tell so any of the subsequent waterings I'm going to a higher dosage of neem oil and am using a mix of cinnamon and rosemary oil. I just gave the Hemlocks the 203 instead of the 203 and neem because they are closer to harvest than anything else.

Here is an ant carrying around one of the insects.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The Hemlocks are right around 8 weeks right now and I usually run stuff at least 9 or 10 so they around two weeks to go unless they are really telling me they're ready. These pictures are from 5/25

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The rest of the plants around the same bulb as the Hemlocks on 5/25

picture.php

picture.php