What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EBB N FLOW WITH SOIL?

not soil but I ran ebb/flow with some hydroton and coco and it works well but 1/50 floods I had the lower return that goes through the pump clog,

I guess it would unclog at each interval but it did trap a few inches of water in there..

Iamroach

What about....

What about....

leaching of the nutrients in the soil, especially organics.
I like the idea of watering via ebb and flow for potted soil growing plants but am worried that the draining of the tray will slowly leach the nutrients from the soil.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
its been done years ago ...people on og told me it was bad idea...it wasn't . I had 2 4x8 tables in my greenhouse

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Rush has the idea for a soil feeding with pots sitting inside a flood table, the idea behind soil is to retain the moisture as well as the nutrients ethire chemically or organics mixed inside the soil, the idea that flooding the table like an ebb and flo would most likley over water your plants.if you flipped a switch at any given moment to flood the table with pots of soil sitting inside the table you could water all plants with a flick of a switch, the only drawback would be soil coming out of the drain holes in the pot.
There are a lot of commercial greenhouses that use eb and flow floors.

ErfGoed - Quality floors for excellent plants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtMnKV5RcDs

benmcknz41

Hi im currently running an organic hydro setup its not quite dialed in yet though im using a flood table filled with clay pebbles then i have got a pair o 20l pots filled with a couple of inch of clay pebbles topped off with bio canna soil im flooding twice a day with plain water @ ph 6.5 - 7.5 to match the ph of the bio canna line im using to top feed my baby's every 2-4 days. I have a standard organic plant as a control plant to compare with, the problems i have come across with this system so far is over watering due to flood times being too long, i had an issue with my plants getting nutrient lock out due to too wet the ph needs to be checked daily as it rises to 8.1 after 12 hours. Im also having trouble with Fungus gnats they love my lower clay pebble section everytime it loods theres loads of white larvae jumping about. I will upload some pics later.

peace

Ben