What's new

Drying and curing down under

Hey guys doing some curing atm and it got me thinking how do ozzies/kiwis cure

i usually dry till stems are bendy and outsides feel crisp then cure at 24c and 60-70% humidity inside jar i rotate jar to move flowers around and check for mold, working down to 55% over four weeks. This is all done in a growlab 120 with canfan and carbon filter.

So i know not everyone can have climate control and time to do as i do but im really interested to hear how you all do it! Particularly if u do not use jars/ process outdoors.

Peace, oh and heres some tora bora from last week prior to chop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 21
S

Sat X RB

climate control? Ha ... maybe if it was solar powered!

but out here in the bush the heads go into an clear UNSEALED plastic bag when I think they're dry enuf ... and then I sit 'em in the sun for a while and watch to see if condensation forms on the upper inside of the bag. if no condensation, then the goods are dry enuf to bag and seal.

how long in the sun? dunno ... depends on the temp of the morning. I do it by vibes (ommm, Man) and err on the side of caution.

cheers All

J.V

ICMag Donor
Hey Dave,....Over the past 3 seasons I have been Drying plants hung up on ropes,... under a tarp using adjustable tent poles and spreader bars. I set the tarp up in a reasonably well shaded area so its not visible to aircraft. The plants usually hang for 6 to 7 days. This is out in the scrub. Last season I took 2- 130 litre storage containers.....a folding table,....a set of scissors and pruning sheers ,....a thermos of hot water for coffee and then went to work on the plants. I cut off all the laterals off the main stem, mind you cutting any of the longer branches in half. ...Than I cut all the smaller branches off the laterals and pack into the storage containers . I was lucky to access this location via land or boat, ..so on this day I took the boat and loaded the containers into the boat. Went back to my vehicle than went home. Once home the containers sat for a few days, mainly to my apathy. Though no big worry. ... Taking the stem out of the containers, I than cut off all the bud and put into another Dixie. [Container] Once done ...all the bud is weighed up into pound lots and zipped up with the trusty Sunbeam FoodSaver. Over the while, I work through it trimming with scissors. ...Props to Endur for the tarp method.

cool J.V i like the sound of access by boat, its been tempting to do a guerrilla spec outdoor for the last 3-4 years, pretty difficult to pull it off in this region the quality definitely reflects this.

Yeah, best to trim and dry out in the forest if you can; that way less weight and bulk to have to smuggle home.
Setting up a campsite near your grow (not too close, got to have deniability) at harvest time and living out there while you harvest and trim and dry is a good way to do it.
Also lets you be on the spot to monitor any suspicious activity in the vicinity of your grow (rippers), and if they find it or get too close then you can harvest them all at once and get them out of there.

V_MAN

I dry trim, I normally have the plant hanging up for 2 days then take all the fan leaves off then leave it for 4-7 days depending on heat & RH then take the sugar leaves off then begin my curing process any where from weeks to months. :) Depending if I have other flavours around :)

I cut buds of stems .fill up a mid sized garbage bag .squash most of the air out . Glad wrap the bag with many layers then a few more garbage bags . Squeeze into my hiking bag and make the journey home .where I dry it in a room with pedestal fan a exhaust fan and a carbon filter . 1 hiking bag can fit enough wet bud in it to equal about 1lb dry

vostok

Veteran
220px-Northern-lights-flowering.jpg

Just like this post ....I let my plants hang as long as possible, then trim delicately
posting to a jar, at each clipping ....lol

G

Long cure in glass jars at 62-65% RH. Extra special buds get vacuum sealed in the jar for a 6-12 month cure.
Don't smoke all the time so when I indulge it's like being stoned for the first time again, only have one or two a year.

vostok

Veteran
I indulge it's like being stoned for the first time again, only have one or two a year.
Lucky You ...Man!!! I wish I could say that..:tiphat:

I recently converted to organics and found several plants, showed excessive nutes on harvest and taste could be improved, so after some experimentation I now:

1: harvest the plants as normal
cut the base of the trunk
invert on a hook in my shed
remove any fan leaves etc
cut the buds stalks into 12-18" lengths​

2: insert the buds to a bucket of air temperate water

3: and soak for 3 days(36 hours) changing water every day

4: I then hang to dry normally, on some fishingnylon set with pc fan at 22-25c(72-75f?) for 2 weeks or until the stem snaps like a chicken leg​

This greatly reduces the chlorophyll content, and actually by the first day you wouldn't believe the chemicals smells that are coming out, and subsequently this technique totally ENHANCES the taste and smoking flavor by 120%