What's new

Downloading entire thread to read later?

Ghudda

Anybody know of a good application or method of downloading an entire thread to read later? Preferably with pictures.

Any way I've found in casual searching has required grabbing one page at a time.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
that's all i know, one page at a time, using the built in browser print function to save the page to a PDF.

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Here's what I did a year or so ago. I copy and pasted the first page of the thread I wanted to save, sent it to my email and made a folder for it. Now only the first page is saved, but clicking on the next page takes me to the thread in ICMag. I hope that helps

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why not just bookmark it or save it to your favorites ... depending on which browser your using . thats all i do , can come back to it anytime i like :)

OldSkoolKlein

Maybe like me, Ghudda wants to read off line. That's the reason I'd seriously look at getting a tablet. As long as it has a PDF reader, it'd be tops to download 10, 20, 50+ page threads, and then read it bits at a time.

Or to learn a new subject, say going from hydro to Organic soil. You can scan through the threads you need to bridge the gap, download, read as needed.

Kit Kat

I use a few different methods to save ICMag threads (and damn, do I have a lot of them now!):

pinboard.in: pinboard is a really lightweight and fast bookmarking system with tagging and all that fun stuff, they have a lot of bookmarklets so I'll click the 'read later' one so it just saves a thread I'm on, then go back in and tag it with everything about it, like: grow-show, coco, vertical, organic

That doesn't actually save the info to your computer though so the other one I use is...

Evernote: Evernote + Clearly will let me highlight a good post, click the Clearly icon in my browser, and it'll auto-save the formatting, pictures, and everything then give me a link back in my Evernote. I really love using this for the huge threads (like the CMH, defoliation, etc) that have been going for ages and I'll just clip a bunch of posts or nifty bits around for reference so I don't have to re-read all the white noise when I revisit it.

Thread Tools: And finally if you just need text the boring manual way is to click "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread, choose the Printable option, then the max amount of posts on one page, then in your browser choose File -> Save As. Rinse repeat until you have the entire thread. I don't use this very often though because you don't get pictures and it's a pain in the balls.

I also saw a program that says it'll download vBulletin threads for you, and link them all together in one big HTML page with images inline and everything, but it wanted a name/email before you could download and you'd have to enter your login info for it to work on ICMag, so I didn't try it.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I used httrack to download the Dr. D'Adamo site on blood type food lists.
(It's the only linux native in the list)

I used to have hundreds of megs of CW and OG threads... on an old drive that became corrupted after their downfall. Sure wish I had modern tools back then.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

babelfish

http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html

x86 (32 bit)
Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Seven/8 without installer (eg: USB key)
WinHTTrack (also included: command line version) httrack-noinst-3.47.21.zip [alternate site] 3.47-21
4.15 MiB (4351502 B)
(28/Jun/2013)

x64 (64 bit)
Windows Vista/Seven/8 64-bit without installer (eg: USB key)
WinHTTrack (also included: command line version) httrack_x64-noinst-3.47.21.zip [alternate site] 3.47-21
4.5 MiB (4714656 B)
(28/Jun/2013)

it's cross platform. it works very well. It can grab things like attachments. But use with care, don't set it on the whole dang site, and ensure it uses at least 5 seconds lag between pages or so, to not hammer the servers. With this in mind, should not be worse than you actually clicking pages and such, and lets you save projects. one thread could be a project, and arrange in folders according to subforum (just a for instance). :blowbubbles:

A

AlterEgo860

Anybody know of a good application or method of downloading an entire thread to read later? Preferably with pictures.

Any way I've found in casual searching has required grabbing one page at a time.

show printable version.. and make it available offline.. or just copy and paste it

ghostmade

Veteran
http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html

x86 (32 bit)

x64 (64 bit)

it's cross platform. it works very well. It can grab things like attachments. But use with care, don't set it on the whole dang site, and ensure it uses at least 5 seconds lag between pages or so, to not hammer the servers. With this in mind, should not be worse than you actually clicking pages and such, and lets you save projects. one thread could be a project, and arrange in folders according to subforum (just a for instance). :blowbubbles:
could not get it to work. need somthing i can rip whole sites for offline viewing, sort of a field guide/knowledge base

also
i hate trying to organize copy and paste

Latest posts

Latest posts