What's new

DoobieDucks Wild West

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DoobieDucks Wild West Story Treating Yourself issue #21

I am so honored and humbled to be published again in Treating Yourself Magazine. My story Wild Wild West and images, I captured specifically for the publication, are featured in the recent issue #21.

I first contacted Marco Renda, the editor, back in 2008, my objective at that time was simply to get some of my images published. I have been a photographer my entire life, and believe me, I have submitted my wildlife, scenic, floral, and still life pix to many a magazine in the past 20 years and, in most cases, getting no replies from anyone.. Most publications acquire their images from stock photo agencies or have their own photography staff doing the work for them, so to crack the nut and get inside, have your work considered, is a big step. But Marco is an active member at ICMag and I thought, has certainly seen my images here, so I had some un-intentional help.

I was quite surprised to hear back from him in a personal email. His initial response to my images was friendly and warm hearted, but more important to me, was he was interested in publishing some pix for me. I had no idea at that time how my intent and purpose for my images would change because of this newly found friendship and relationship with him and his publication.

I ended up writing an auto-biographical story about my photography and submitted some of my most unique and finest cannabis images for consideration. Those were published in 2008 #14, and since, many more of my stories have been published, along with my images.

As a long time chronic pain sufferer I then found myself getting to know patients world wide on the Internet and offering those patients my feelings, compassion, advice, and any help I could muster up. I was then beginning to realized that just my images were capable of putting a smile on the face of others suffering and that was huge, a big deal. Some of these patients don’t smile very often, they don’t have anything to smile about, they’re in pain, or sometimes even worse, dying. The appreciation I get from my published work is so gratifying. Thank you Marco and Treating yourself for your belief in me, my stories, and my images.

My most recent Wild West story is a true story of the stigma medical marijuana faces in our rural ranching and farming communities in the Wild West. I hope some of you get a chance to read it, and please, if you do, I'd like to hear from you, would you post here in this thread your comments and criticism of it. Thanks DD.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Marco Renda

Thanks for your continual support DD! Issue # 21 will be available online for FREE as a PDF download in a couple of weeks so folks will be able to read your latest article.

Take Care and Peace
Marco

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
That's awsome DD ill be waiting to read it .... I have always enjoyed your photo's, in fact one of my favorite pics of all times is yours. Congrats, And thanks to M.R. for giving a Duck a chance ..:tiphat:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought I'd give this a bump..c'mon somebody has to have read it? Thanks....DD

ICETOKER

Sharing Is Caring!
Veteran
Hey doobie!!

I just red you story and what a great story it is!!!

I can relate to that story...not that im a rancher from michigan...but a fisherman´s son (and a fisherman myself) from a small rural community in iceland!! It´s exactly the same there..... you are no better than the terrorists if you dance with the devil´s weed!!!!

There were rumors of me smoking weed 3 years before i even saw it the first time..... all cos i had long harir and played heay metal instead of playing soccer like the rest of the kids. I got my ass out of there 18 years ago...but i still hear the same storys today!!!

Youre absolutely right Doobie!!! Ppl need to know the truth...

It´s so funny that when those same ppl who have beaten down on cannabis use all there life get sick, they tend to loosen up on cannabis. Both my mother in law and my mother have recently passed on due to cancer, and in both occations, nearing the end, started to talk about cannabis use for pain and nausea. Even my dad-in-law who has said that all potheads should be shot, asked me if i could get some for his wife. Sadly. in both occations it was too late. I beat myself every day for not suggesting cannabis much earlier but i was afraid.....cos of all the stigmata and fear that was bred into me while growing up in that rural community. It´s a shame..... lets do something about it!!!!

Cant wait for your next article doobie...... you are a natural storyteller and one bad ass photographer!!!! Thanks !!!

with respect

icetoker

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
IceT..I don't know where to start in thanking you for your complements..how bout you brought a needed big smile to my face today Brotha..many thanks. I've been so busy trying to capture humming bird pix before the little buggers migrate I haven't had time to write. Plus pix of seven strains all flowering at once. I just wrote Marco and told him winter for my next submission to Treating Yourself. Peace Out...DD
picture.php

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
Damn DD

You get so lucky with those little hummers .

Once again, you have outdone yourself.

^^^ above ^^^ is my new favorite DD shot

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
CONRATS .on the article DOOBIE .i see those lil hummers at my moms all the time i stand just inside the window where the feeder hangs ,about 2 feet away and they are just soooooo cool,the noise from their lil wings is pretty wild that close to them.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Dobie,just read your excellent article. Used to live in No. Idaho so I understand the mindset in that part of the country, but the times are a changin, just not as fast as we'd like. Also love the hummer.