What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

don't try ganja as hops

There isn't much info on using ganja in beer. So I made beer with ganja instead of hops. I put a whole ounce of ganja in the boil instead of hops (bittering) and it didn't come out that good. It didn't get you high either. So, don't waste your time, I wasted time and an ounce.

I figured people make tea with it and get messed up but it doesn't work in beer making. It did smell a little of it though. Conventional wisdom... it is fat and oil soluble not water soluble. I gave it a go, and it failed.

Govinda

THC is alcohol solvable, mate. I'm not very familiar with the brewing process though, would the buds still be in by the time the alcohol has become present? Although, the low alcohol content of beer might be to blame (the reason people recommend high proof liquor for green dragon). The small alcohol content combined with the water insolubility of THC might have just meant that the saturation point for the Cannabinoid-Alcohol solution was met under psychoactive threshold, while the rest stayed in the bud.

Yeah alcohol soluble... it can really good butter too.... I take it out before it ferments... just when I boil the "wort".... which has not alcohol...

Yeah, low alcohol would be to blame if you put hops in secondary fermentation.... I don't think it would work that good with the usual 3-6% alcohol in beer...

I took out the stuff before any alcohol was created by the yeast... I figured the water boiling for an hour would help some cannabinoid.. like making butter... but it didn't...

it was worth a try... I didn't fail... i just found a 1000 ways that don't work... lol...

someone once said... drink your alcohol and smoke your weed.. i agree

yeah I was thinking of that... but will it dissolve in it? only about 4% alcohol.... maybe it is better to just separate ... weed as weed alcohol as alcohol

pip313

Why wouldn't it work assuming the buds are added after the hops have fermented. The alcohol would be able to keep some cannaboids in suspention but all that water will bring nasties with it too. Also the cannaboid content would be limited to less than what the alcohol content can hold because some will want to "crash out" of suspention.

It sucks acetic anhydride is so hard to get due to the use in herion manufacturing it would be nice to have real water soluable thc without having to add anything else. Smell less taste less colorless thc water now on to the ketene lamp.

I love how michigan's medical laws do not even define what usable product is.

If you wanted to get high off beer why not just dissolve bho into 180 proof and just add a little that's what I would do if I drank.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Next time dissolve some QWISO into a little everclear or vodka, and then add that to the final brew step. You'll get your THC kick for sure!

hopleaf

you need to "dry hop" your already fermented beer with arond an ounce per five gallon batch. you need to brew a high alcohol beer and wait until alcohol content is at it's highest before you add the cannabis. if you want my delicious cannabis ale recipe just PM me and i'll send you my time tested recipe that has nice malty base that rolls over the tounge smooth. that and fairly heavy hop schedule combined with the earthyness of the cannabis creates a very drinkable and effective beer that can be dangerous. think heavy ipa with and ounce of weed for the dry hops. i've brewed hundreds of gallons of beer and have brewed several successful cannabis ales.

IMO

i agree with the previous poster, if youd like to take advantage of some nice florals in your buds, you can easily dry hop your brews with them. i would not recommend throwing them in at any time during the boil, as the OP figured out it doesnt work out the greatest and their is very little benefit. i have used fresh buds to wet hop before, found this to be an excellent way to showcase the florals of some sativas, made a great pairing with just a basic pale. anyhow, just wanted to add my 2 cents since the OP seemed adamamant about not using buds to hop with. i think their is plenty of room for experimentation...dry hopping, wet hopping, and even using extract [some of the bigger breweries use hop extracts, im lookng for a recipe to make my own, staying true more to the flavor and scent than any psychoactive or physical effect.]

this post was much longer than first anticipated, much rambling was done. sorry.

yes I used the hops as boiling hops.... don't do that.... I never dried hopped before... but why doesn't someone try it... I would do a "green dragon" instead after my experience....

Xerhoss

Depends on whether you're after the flavor or the THC. I know the answer for me - tincture infused goodness at keg/bottle time. A little ever clear would be the ticket. :dance013:

yeah an alcohol tincture (with 190 proof everclear) is the way to go... if u want to dose at bottle time.... all to you.... but I would let beer be beer... btw.. the bud as hop I remember gave me a lot of gas (i was farting a lot) for some reason.... and tasted different... in a bad way.... the taste took months to mellow out.. but never really did....

if you want beer with it.... I say go with the high proof rather the low 3-5% alcohol after fermentation... but a high gravity is a possibility ... but green dragon after all said and done....

I am not a pro.... but have tried it as hops.. tried the green dragon...

yes I am "adamant" because I don't want you to lose money/bud like I did... But do your thing and report back.... all the power to you.... I love experimentations...

High74

Executive Branch Genetics
Veteran
im loving this topic very interesting. I might give this a try when I have the time and space.
thanks for all the info guys keep it coming. Pics would be nice too :)

I regularly brew several different canna beers/wines/mead etc.

Your best bet, if you want potency, rather than a simple flavoring element, is to add decarbed, and broken down already-bioavailable hash oil (not to be confused with oil for cooking), which is already readily available to your system.

Except when distilling hard liquor (which only works slightly better), adding regular herb when brewing a low alcohol content beverage, is not going to extract, convert or break down the cannabinoids in such a way that your body can use them. You would only add dry/raw bud in this way, if you are seeking a canna flavor.. not potency.

Hope this helps :)

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I've done it a couple a times, when we did it we added 2.5oz of ground up buds during the entire initial boil and keep the buds in while it fermented over the next few weeks.

The best example was a Belgian west coast style IPA with 2.5oz of Alien Dawg (ether pheno) coupled with cinnamon and coriander - really a great flavor combo.

Each 22oz (there were only about 25 of them) had about 2.6g. It's a hell of lot of bud to use, but they'll work nicely.

Bluesmell

Hi guys! I think someone should change main title of the topic.

Anyway there is a way to extract aromas and some bitterness from hops, and it works wery well without being dangerous (for beer infections) like original Dry Hopping.
It is called DHEA (Dry Hopping in alchol extract).
You'll need hops in pellets, because of little dimensions, and high grade pure alchol (in Italy we have alchol 95° which is used to make homemade spirits). Put pellets in a airtight jar, 1/3 pellets you will use in usual DH, then put alchol in the jar to cover pellets surface up to 1cm (metric system). Then close the jar and let the thing going for 1 week without moving.
After that time take a syringe to take out the alchol with hops aromas and oils, without take out hops.
Then put that alchol in the first fermenter before you will move the must from the first to the second fermenter.
Finally when the beer in the bottles matures you will wait two weeks more than normal time.

It is a fantastic way to produce extra IPA, like sierra nevada torpedo. It extract very low bitterness compared to the aromas, so you will need to boil hops with the must (usual not DH way) to obtain real bitterness.

So could we use it to extract buds essential oils? Do we need do decarboxylate THC before extracting? Then we could put the dry buds in the oven before DHEA...

What do you think about?

PS.: sorry for my english

A

AlterEgo860

There isn't much info on using ganja in beer. So I made beer with ganja instead of hops. I put a whole ounce of ganja in the boil instead of hops (bittering) and it didn't come out that good. It didn't get you high either. So, don't waste your time, I wasted time and an ounce.

I figured people make tea with it and get messed up but it doesn't work in beer making. It did smell a little of it though. Conventional wisdom... it is fat and oil soluble not water soluble. I gave it a go, and it failed.

as far as im concerned... unless they are making tea by making a tincture or using a oil or alcohol. or another solvelt to get the goods into the tea.. then there not getting messed up off the tea.. lol.. that's like the idiot at the party wen ur 16 that drinks the bong water and says hes so retarded and fucked up. .. just don't work like that.. if water worked people wouldn't watercure buds.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
You must decarboxylate first. And solubilizing it in something before adding it
wouldn't hurt either.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I started brewing around the late 80's and was pretty darn good at it by the mid 90's... I buy my malt by the 55 lb.sack and use a decoction mash, using a large SS kettle and a large SS mash tun...Then I bottle in dark brown longnecks or sometimes in old flip top bottles..I brew some Vienna style lagers that will knock your socks off in the taste dept.
I often considered using some good weed instead of the hops,
(being that weed and hops are closely related in botany)
But I changed my mind and figured, why not enjoy weed and beer the way they were meant to be enjoyed.
So, now I just sit here, with a nice cool lager in one hand and big fat doobie in the other....Why fuck with perfection?

Latest posts

Latest posts