What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dog food as fertilizer

genghis420

Anyone do this indoors?

Any tips for using dog food as fertilizer indoors? Anyone have NPK values? I'm assuming it would be high in nitrogen because of the protein content.

If I don't get any feed back I think what I'll do is feed composting worms and use their vermicastings as fertilizer.

Thanks!

genghis420

I’m sorry but I gotta ask, how in the world did dog food enter this equation?
I saw some posts/videos on youtube and reddit of dog food just being tilled into the soil as/before seeds are planted. I also have a source of getting dog food for free so it piqued my interest.

Zeta Reticuli

Yes fish meal,crab meal,kelp in flakes,dry beer yiest (deactivated),cow-horse dung pellets... thats a proper
food for plants,atleast for veg time.

Dog food have part of cereals,maybe too much fats,i dont sees dog food perfect for growing plants.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Now I wonder if there are people really buying dog food to till in the soil before planting, as those (I suppose fake) videos say. It would be an expensive and time consuming way to get worse results than using plant nutrients. Also, animals might start digging your garden for the food. Seems very stupid!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
donate it to some shelter or dog rescue association
That's what I would do, too. Nothing wrong with composting a bag if you had it laying around, but actively looking to compost it in any sizeable percentage of your compost pile, NAH. really there are many other things that would make a better compost.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
That's what I would do, too. Nothing wrong with composting a bag if you had it laying around, but actively looking to compost it in any sizeable percentage of your compost pile, NAH. really there are many other things that would make a better compost.
Well that rubbish is so highly processed that I would be shocked if it actually degraded, and or incorporated in a timely manner

Latest posts

Latest posts