What's new

Does my crop have a nitrogen deficiency?

CultivaVerde

Hello everyone!

I have a Critical Purple crop that is just a few days away from harvesting.

For the past few weeks, the plant's leaves have been progressively turning a stronger shade of yellow.

I know it's normal for nitrogen to start depleting in the final weeks of flowering, but I think I might have overdone it this time and the plants are suffering.

I grow them in 11-litre pots, I use soil mixed with guano and the acidity of the irrigation is controlled with pH regulators. I keep changing some things between crops but I always have the same problem.

Looking at the photos, is it a nitrogen deficiency, right?
It always happens to me, so how can I prevent it next time?
Should I add more growth fertilizer during the early weeks?
Should I apply a nitrogen-rich fertilizer during the early flowering stage?
What are your tricks?

Thanks for your help

IMG_20230617_130937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bimblebrains_1

Hi @CultivaVerde i'm not sure that the plant is unhappy due to lack of anything as that late into flower i would hope that she is using or used up all the N that you provided like you mentioned....i think your problem could be pest pressure....is it me or on zooming are there a few spots on PM on some leaves? anyone else see it? also she has that droop,leaf curling up and flower structure that could point to russet mites maybe? sorry i'm not trying to cause any panic or be negative and i'm not saying you've got them, i'm just trying to get to the root of the problem....anyone else want to chime in? as i hope i'm wrong....

CultivaVerde

Hi @CultivaVerde i'm not sure that the plant is unhappy due to lack of anything as that late into flower i would hope that she is using or used up all the N that you provided like you mentioned....i think your problem could be pest pressure....is it me or on zooming are there a few spots on PM on some leaves? anyone else see it? also she has that droop,leaf curling up and flower structure that could point to russet mites maybe? sorry i'm not trying to cause any panic or be negative and i'm not saying you've got them, i'm just trying to get to the root of the problem....anyone else want to chime in? as i hope i'm wrong....

Yes, I also have a small problem with the red spider mite. I harvested the most infected plants prematurely, and the rest don't have much damage.

The problem of sick leaves also occurs in plants that don't have spider mites. Obviously, the mite has exacerbated the problem, but it's clear that I'm not doing something right with the fertilizers.

At this stage of the crop, I know I'm late, and there's nothing to be done. However, I would like to learn for the next harvest. Thank you very much for your help!